This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Hacked iPhone/iTouch now does Podcasts!

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
I just found a great app for my "fixed" iTouch called MobileCast. It allows you to subscribe to podcasts and download episodes without the need to sync to iTunes.

Comments

• Hacked is not good enough for me to get one, but it's a start.
  • Hacked is not good enough for me to get one, but it's a start.
    True that. Also, until I see some screenshots I will assume the interface is worthless shit.
  • The process of "hacking" your iPhone or iPod Touch is incredibly trivial.
  • Here is a screen shot tour I just created. Unfortunately I had to take the pictures without a flash, so some of the pictures are blurry.
  • edited February 2008
    With all the Geeknights things on those photos, me thinks you're trying to buter the Doods up for an Ipod touch/phone purchace or something.

;p
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Problem with hacked iPhones is that you're vulnerable to exploits patched in the updates. Which will take time before those are hacked.
  • With all the Geeknights things on those photos, me thinks you're trying to buter the Doods up for an Ipod touch/phone purchace or something.
    Actually, It just happened to be the podcast I tried when I installed the application.
    Problem with hacked iPhones is that you're vulnerable to exploits patched in the updates. Which will take time before those are hacked.
    This is very true. I just spent several hours getting firmware 1.1.3 on my iTouch. I am hoping that when Apple releases the SDK for 3rd party applications, apps like MobileCast become officail apps and are allowed to remain free.
  • Did you really take several hours to get your 1.1.3 on your iPod Touch? Did you have your firmware Jailbroken earlier?
  • Here is the story of my poor lil iTouch. I was running 1.1.2 jailbroken from a jailbroken 1.1.1. I used the mobile only upgrade option. This is where the jailbreak app is available from installer.app. The upgrade seemed to work.

I now had 1.1.3, but no iPhone apps. I then ran the iPhone app installer. It opened a terminal and asked for a password. The usual password alpine did not work, nor did any other passwords that I found through google. I then decided to ssh into it using my mac. I connected and the ipod rebooted into restore mode immediately.

I reconnected and iTunes restored it to a clean 1.1.3 install. The restore process takes about 10 minutes to get up and running, and then another 45 minutes to copy my media back onto it. I now had a non-hacked 1.1.3 and I realized how much I realized on MobileMoney and Notes. I considered paying the $20 for notes, but MobileMoney is a checkbook app I use to keep my financial records. So my only choice at this point was to downgrade the firmware. It was late on Tuesday night, and I had a late morning on Wednesday, so I let it be and would come back to it Wednesday morning.

I got up fairly early Wednesday, and didn't have to be in to work until 11:30 so I looked into re-virginising my iTouch. I found the firmware for 1.1.1 online and I downloaded it. I tried option-clicking the restore button and selecting the old firmware, but I kept getting error messages. Each time it failed I needed to go through the whole restore process. I figured it was because I was running iTunes 7.6. I realized that I still had a backup of my 10.4 install, which still has iTunes 7.5, so I booted off of that.

I booted off my hard drive that had my old install on it. I tried option-clicking the restore button but I kept getting the same messages. So I rebooted into 10.5 and went to work with my un-hacked iTouch.

That evening downloaded iPhuc to see if that would work. I was able to connect to the iTouch with iPhuc but would get bes errors when the iTouch was in recovery mode. I was now getting close to resigning my self to buying the iPhone apps and waiting for the SDK.

I was reading info on friday morning that someone posted about their iTouch. They said to get it to accept the old firmware you needed to connect the iTouch to you computer and sync it. Once it was done syncing you had to push and hold both the sleep and home buttons until it disappeared from the devices list on iTunes. Then you had to let go of the sleep button but continue to hold the home button for a while, up to a minute. The iTouch would then show up again and say that it needed to be restored. At this point you could use the option-click method to select the old firmware. This seemed silly to me, but I gave it a whirl and it worked perfectly.

I then had to jailbreak the 1.1.1 install with jailbreak.com. I then used the iJailbreak application to get me from a jailbroken 1.1.1 to a jailbroken 1.1.3. Everything now works, including iPhone apps and re-arranging the icons in springboard. The only thing that does not work are the song that I purchased through iTunes, Got-Damned DRM! I will just burn and re-import those songs.

So it took me about 5-6 restores, at around an hour each, to get me back to 1.1.1 and then another 45 minutes to get up to 1.1.3. That does not include many hours of research that went into finding solutions. I hope this story helps someone else, and I hope apples 3rd party application solution removes my need to continually re-hack my iTouch.