This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Free Audio Books

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
I was looking at either making or downloading a recording of The Wind in the Willows for my kids and I found this cite. Essentially, volunteers read books that are now public domain. The Wind in the Willows is 100 years old this year, so there's no copyright issues. I know Scott isn't fond of audible, but you can't beat free. :) Who knows, maybe I'll even read something for them.

Comments

• That's a great site, they have a great collection of old time radio shows like Boston Blackie, Sherlock Holmes, Duffy's Tavern, and The Shadow. Fun shows, a bit cheesy, but that's part of their charm.

If you like that page, give http://librivox.org/newcatalog/ a shot as well. Same general idea, volunteers read books in the public domain.
  • Thanks for the links.
  • Don't forget the Audiobooks, Human read section of Project Gutenberg.
  • "This is a librivox recording, all librivox recordings are in the public domain, for more information visit librivox.org. [reading]" Lots of free audio books out there. Problem with some is (like librivox) that the reader changes often, so you'll have to get used to many different dialects and ways or reading and the voices of the characters each time.
  • edited February 2008
    Podiobooks.com has a lot of books (usually not [yet] published, I think), often read by the author.

JC Hutchins' semi-Internet famous 7th Son Trilogy is on there.

I recommend Mur Lafferty's Heaven series. And her "Lessons from a Geek Fu Master" if you'd like to hear some essays about Geekdom.
    Post edited by RyienKu on