This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dragonlance the movie

edited February 2008 in Movies
imageDO NOT see this movie. It is bad, real bad. worse than the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

I rented this one from Netflix as I had been hearing about it for quite some time. Yeah, they got Keifer Sutherland to play the part of Rasitlin but not even he can save this one.

I have heard of "fan service" before but not in such a way that every female character is introduced by a close-up on her breasts before they pan up to her face. Other than Hentai that is.

I watched the whole thing hoping it would get better... It never did.

When the companions went to Silvanesti/Qualinesti (which ever elven city they go to first) it looked like a leprechaun town. There were no majestic tree houses just short trees with doors and windows drawn on them. Not even big trees either, we are talking six foot diameter trees that were supposed to be homes for elves.

You can read my review above (or not) but just don't see this movie unless you are going to get a crowd together to pick it apart.

I'm adding a few lines so the image does not screw things up.

blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah
blah

Comments

• They've been doing lots of direct to video nerd animation projects in the US lately. There was that Hellboy animated feature. There are also underwear pervert ones from both Marvel and DC. Are these things really doing that well?
  • Darn it all, I was looking forward to this being at least decent.. Oh well I'll netflix it and see how I feel.
  • I have heard of "fan service" before but not in such a way that every female character is introduced by a close-up on her breasts before they pan up to her face.
    Whahaahahahahaa! That's something you probably find in hentai.
  • edited February 2008
    The animation was poor at best and the skipped all the good parts.

Movie synopsis (scenes)
    Solace:
    Flint Tanis and goblins battle
    Inn of the Last home for the meeting
    The "boat scene"
    30 seconds in Darken Woods
    Meet a gully dwarf
    Kill a black dragon
    Return to Solace to get captured
    Get rescued by Elves
    Hang out in elf land for a few minutes
    Arrive at secret door to Pax Tharkis
    (At this point the movie slowed down)
    Rescue kids and get caught trying to escape
    Dragons fight
    Verminard dies
    Movie ends

There were no travel scenes in-between. It would be like editing Fellowship of the Ring to show Bilbo's party ->Bree->Weathertop->Elrond->Breaking of the Fellowship->end.

If you Netflix it either watch it alone or watch it with friends who will enjoy ragging on the movie with you.
    I have heard of "fan service" before but not in such a way that every female character is introduced by a close-up on her breasts before they pan up to her face.
    Whahaahahahahaa! That's something you probably find in hentai.
    When Tika walks away they do a close-up on her ass shimmying back and forth for a few seconds.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I'm half way through this dog. Some of the superhero cartoons are at least watchable. This thing really does suck. That anime series that R&S like that is essentially D&D comedy is far better (but the name escapes my aged mind).
  • That anime series that R&S; like that is essentially D&D; comedy is far better (but the name escapes my aged mind).
    Slayers? El Hazard?
  • Thanks for saving me a couple of bucks Steve.
  • Slayers. Slayers is much better than this.
  • The Hellboy Animated series is actually really good. Plus, there are new comics called "Hellboy Animated" that tell the side stories.

The Dragonlance movie, however, is horrible. Like, I don't think it could be worse. Not only is the 2D animation bad, but the 3D dragons are worse. It looks like some DeVry graduates got a hold of Maya and started coding away. Ugh. I was sorely disappointed in this and my expectations started pretty low.
  • These movies are produced on the lowest of budgets and rely on the fact that they will get purchased by the movie rental businesses. I know that Hollywood Video purchased at least 2-3 of each of these direct to DVD piles of dung for each of it's locations. That is quite a few purchases with very little money up front.
  • What happened to making good movies? You should have heard the wankfest that went on at GenCon over this film. I felt so bad for Weis and KHickman that they were gushingly proud of it.
  • About the Marvel animated films, the only one I have seen is Iron Man and it was pretty good.
  • I was laughing so hard at the animation of Tanis where they did a close up of his face, and had a lens flare fly across! Even though they had some notable voice talent, it failed in every way to be good, even in the eyes of a Dragonlance fan boy like myself.
  • Fear the Boot did a pretty funny special DVD commentary episode for this movie.
  • *dies on floor laughing and crying* My friends and I watched this movie.

I counted the number of times Tika's breasts bounced (three, just so you know - all while flirting with Caramon). Did anyone else notice that they kept Tas' stick (hell if I can ever remember what it's called) turned sideways almost permanently so they didn't have to draw the "Y" of the slingshot? At least, I believe that's the reason. I know it has the "Y" - it shows up a couple times, but not in the initial drawings they show on the special features.
  • edited May 2008
    *dies on floor laughing and crying* My friends and I watched this movie.

I counted the number of times Tika's breasts bounced (three, just so you know - all while flirting with Caramon). Did anyone else notice that they kept Tas' stick (hell if I can ever remember what it's called) turned sideways almost permanently so they didn't have to draw the "Y" of the slingshot? At least, I believe that's the reason. I know it has the "Y" - it shows up a couple times, but not in the initial drawings they show on the special features.
    That is awesome! The scene where Caramon and Tika were flirting was ridiculous! The movie moved between scenes so badly that it made me sad that they could ever do this to the Dragonlance series. Was this movie partially made in Photoshop, I wonder?
    Post edited by tranceotaku on
  • I think someone I know mentioned that it seemed like they did it in flash then added the CGI. He also mentioned that he was sure that Wizards just got the -cheapest- team out there to make it.
  • They've been doing lots of direct to video nerd animation projects in the US lately. There was that Hellboy animated feature. There are also underwear pervert ones from both Marvel and DC. Are these things really doing that well?
    The Justice League one was actually really good, not to mention WAY darker than I Expected it to be. It ripped off the Watchmen a tiny bit, but so did the Marvel Civil War, and The Invincibles.