This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Anonymous" vs The Church of Scientology

edited February 2008 in News
I'm rather surprised that there isn't a discussion topic on this. For those that don't know a recent coordinated DDoS attack on numerous Scientology-related web sites signaled the beginning of what some are terming a war against the Church of Scientology. This stemmed from the removal of an "edited highlights" video of Tom Cruise speaking about Scientology from YouTube after the Church cited copyright violations. To many this was deemed to be the last straw in a long series of perceived strong-arm tactics by the Church to silence criticism and dissent about its motives.

A very loosely coordinated group of ordinary folks, ex-Scientology members, and yes, even some hackers are organizing protests across the globe in front of Church of Scientology locations on February 10th.

Even though the group has no official structure it's receiving positive press from major news outlets and publications. "Anonymous" points out that it is not protesting the belief system of Scientology per se but instead seeks to increase awareness of the alleged brainwashing and conditioning methods condoned by the Church organization as well as seek the revocation of the Church's tax exempt status.

There's really a lot of information that I can't even begin to touch upon, so instead I'll point you to some very relevant links:

http://xenu.net
http://enturbulation.org
http://whyaretheydead.net
http://www.xenutv.com

Comments

• Anonymous probably barely exists if it does at all. I'm real close to calling it second-order simulacra at best, and a mob at worst.
  • I'm rather surprised that there isn't a discussion topic on this.
    *cough*
  • edited February 2008
    Geeks should love Scientology...it's like an RPG. You have level up to get more details, but it costs tons of money. Maybe someone needs to develop "OpenScientology" to bring it too the masses.
    Post edited by fawpodcast on
  • edited February 2008
    Neito: Thanks for the link. I even did a search for "Scientology" before starting this thread, and that one didn't show up.

Rym: There's a huge thread on the SA Forums that suggests otherwise. It's actually the second thread on the subject because the first one was closed after 200 pages and (at the time) nearly a million views. This thing has the potential to be very big, and the Church is taking notice.
    Post edited by RichLather on
  • Anonymous probably barely exists if it does at all. I'm real close to calling it second-order simulacra at best, and a mob at worst.
    We'll see the 10th of February. This Sunday. Wear a mask.
  • Where would one buy a /b/ for banditos mask?
    Mask Image
  • Anyone from here going to one of the protests?
    edited February 2008
    Anyone from here going to one of the protests?
    Nope, moving sunday. There is one in Amsterdam though.
    Where would one buy a /b/ for banditos mask?
    Mask Image
    Oh wow, one for the letter b. *saves it with the a*
    Post edited by ... on
  • The photoshopped mask is alone worth the lulz.
  • I'm glad to see the /b/tards protesting Scientology instead of Habbo Hotel. It's more productive. The protests in Orlando were pretty epic.
  • Anyone from here going to one of the protests?
    I know of 15 people who are protesting at a CoS near my city. It's kinda amazing. This is spreading far beyond what I expected.
  • Hmmm... I wonder what will happen at our CoS in front of UT...
    I'd check it out, but I don't feel too strongly about this.
  • I really want to go to the D.C. one. But I just found out it starts and ends while I'm in work. Lame.
  • edited February 2008
    Then maybe you should mark your calendar for March 15, which is L. Ron Hubbard's birthday. I think that will coincide nicely with the proposed next wave of protests...

I'd check it out, but I don't feel too strongly about this.
    Check out some of the links I posted; it might change your mind.
    Post edited by RichLather on
  • Then maybe you should mark your calendar for March 15, which is L. Ron Hubbard's birthday. I think that will coincide nicely with the proposed next wave of protests...

Already planned by the anons eh? I really feel that this anon vs. COS uprising will make a great book someday. Or maybe a TV movie.
  • Yay, /b/ vs. CoS. It's like an unorganized bunch of idiots against a well organized bunch of idiots with a few smart, evil people pulling the strings.
  • Yay, /b/ vs. CoS. It's like an unorganized bunch of idiots against a well organized bunch of idiots with a few smart, evil people pulling the strings.
    The unorganized bunch of idiots are nicely organized though. And they have the power of the Rickroll!
  • I listened to this one Episode of GN briefly talking about Scientology in a nutshell
    here
    Foward to 14 minutes, 19 seconds
  • edited February 2008
    Nicely organized?

Anon hasn't successfully pulled off a major raid in ages. Hell, they can't even properly harass the furries anymore, and they hate furries much more than Scientology.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • I should've said "For an unorganized bunch of idiots they are nicely organized", they have all sorts of instructions on what to do and what not. My bad.
  • I really want to know who is pulling the strings. Cool adults, smart teens or an insider! Oooooh.
  • I really want to know who is pulling the strings. Cool adults, smart teens or an insider! Oooooh.
    On /b/'s side? Probably the few smart people that associate directly with it. Age doesn't really matter. Besides, most people on /b/ aren't stupid, just bastards.
  • Folks, there are more people involved here than just the Channers.
  • I know. The anon behind this probably aren't channers. A lot of the people who are into this are most likely just anti-COS and a mix of some chan.
  • edited February 2008
    This is the thread that started the DDoSing. The Channers did start it, but more anonymous internet users are joining in to protest. Nevertheless, a good majority of the people were inspired by 4chan and 711chan. Actually, most of the protests are being planned from /xenu/ on 711. Both links are NSFW, of course.
    Nicely organized? Anon hasn't successfully pulled off a major raid in ages.
    Over one hundred anon protesting in Orlando isn't a major raid?
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited February 2008
    No, it's a protest. As far as I can tell, they're there not as /b/tards, but as people who share a common hatred for Scientology. If it was a real raid, it would be more like a riot (not that an IRL raid could work, anyway).

That aside, events like the raid on Habbo Hotel are extremely rare, and those took place back when the /i/ mentality was still in full effect. If you look at the chans now (especially 4chan), their members are more interested in fighting each other than actually banding together to raid anything. If you call random people from the internet who hate Scientology anon, then I suppose your statement is right. However, the Anon I know is well past its prime.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • I'm angered now. I'm reading the e-mails received by the guy who runs xenu.net, and I could put together much better arguments, even without knowing much about CoS, and that's really sad. My mom seems interested in going to one of these, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do, so I'll be looking that up.
  • edited February 2008
    No, it's a protest. As far as I can tell, they're there not as /b/tards, but as people who share a common hatred for Scientology. If it was a real raid, it would be more like a riot (not that an IRL raid could work, anyway).
    Raid, protest, whatever. It's an organized group of people, who organized through an imageboard, getting together to protest.
    That aside, events like the raid on Habbo Hotel are extremely rare, and those took place back when the /i/ mentality was still in full effect. If you look at the chans now (especially 4chan), their members are more interested in fighting each other than actually banding together to raid anything. If you call random people from the internet who hate Scientology anon, then I suppose your statement is right. However, the Anon I know is well past its prime.
    But it isn't "random people." It's people in the imageboard "culture." And 711chan's /i/ and /xenu/ are still going at full force.
    I'm angered now. I'm reading the e-mails received by the guy who runs xenu.net, and I could put together much better arguments, even without knowing much about CoS, and that's really sad. My mom seems interested in going to one of these, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do, so I'll be looking that up.
    Select your area, find out the rules, and go protest. Remember, CoS is dangerous. So, if you're being stalked or if anyone harasses you or your mom, call the cops immediately.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Yeah, #/m/ basically spent a good deal of last night talking about the possibility of Xenu being Voltron, an Anti-spiral, a Spiral-being, a member of the race that had the Macross technology before we got it or all of the above.

/m/ is the gentlemen's club of 4chan. It's sort of like having a British pub in the middle of a war zone.
  • /m/ and /g/ are the best places to have real conversation.