This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
Anyone out there watch stargate? It's one of my favorite scifi shows and i've been watching it since I was little.Anyone else?

Comments

• I watched it until it became farscape-sg1, though I never got into Atlantis, as I only liked two of the character (the Canadian and Scottish guy) though I hear there's a new one that is going to focus around Daniel that might be good.
  • I haven't heard about the new one with Daniel but I know there is going to be a couple of direct-to-DVD movies that might be pretty good.
  • I'm a fan, more or less.

Although, SG-1 got really boring and bland when R.D.A. didn't want to do the show anymore. I mean, I liked Farscape a lot, but bringing those two into the show did nothing but continue to beat a dead horse.

Even though Stargate Atlantis has always felt more shallow than SG-1 did in its prime, I still like it enough to look forward to new episodes (whereas towards the last two seasons or so of SG-1 I was watching mostly out of habit and hope it would get better). McKay is one of the best characters in the whole Stargate universe.

I'm not sure how I feel about SG-1 going direct-to-DVD with these movies. I haven't been keeping up with the news... I'll probably download them, but I'd have to be utterly blown away to buy.
  • I'm definitely what you would define as a fan. I own all 10 seasons of SG-1, as well as all the current seasons of Atlantis.

I love how the show never really took itself serious. They always knew that they were a good sci-fi show that built on the history of others out there (Farscape, Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, ect). They also had the mentality that they knew things they were doing had been done by those shows before them. They even poke fun at things they themselves had done such as RDA leaving (episode 200 "Invisible Jack"), or crazy plans ("even crazier than blowing up a sun?").

And on top of all that they are one of the few shows that have actual (current) military advisors on set to make sure the Air Force is reflected properly (noted in one of the commentaries about how they got in trouble for not having carter put on a hat when going outside in uniform).

All and all, I'm a geek for "fake real scifi". So when shows try to get the science right, or at least explain it more than a "well we have this gizmo..." it intrigues me and draws me into the world.
  • edited February 2008
    They even poke fun at things they themselves had done such as RDA leaving (episode 200 "Invisible Jack"), or crazy plans ("even crazier than blowing up a sun?").
    Humor has always been one of SG-1's biggest strengths, which unfortunately diminished incredibly with R.D.A's departure as well. Their parody episodes were just brilliant.
    Post edited by RyienKu on
  • edited February 2008
    Humor has always been one of SG-1's biggest strengths, which unfortunately diminished incredibly with R.D.A's departure as well. Their parody episodes were just brilliant.
    I agree. I really liked the show until about season six or seven when they started to take themselves way to seriously. One of my favorite episodes is the one where Teal'c and O'Neil get stuck in that time loop and just do crazy shit around the base.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Huge fan. The last episode of Atlantis was one of the best I've seen yet.
  • edited February 2008
    I'm a huge fan of Atlantis. I love how it's always "5 seconds 'till everyone dies". It's over the top all the time. I have noticed that the writers strike or the cost of making the show is hurting them. If you notice most of the shows for the most recent season are 1-4 characters trapped in a _______ and have to find a way out.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • Sg-1 Was like that all the time. For many of the episodes it would always be,"How are they going to escape before the episode ends,"or something like that. I recently heard that there is a new series in production called "Stargate Universe". It's supposed to be a 3rd pillar for the franchise and not just a spin-off of sg-1 or atlantis.This sounds cool but there is one thing I would like more,"Wormhole X-treme!", or mabe even, "tealc Pi".
  • This sounds cool but there is one thing I would like more,"Wormhole X-treme!", or mabe even, "tealc Pi".

Dude, the last season of SG-1 was Wormhole X-Treme! The only way it could have gotten campier is if they used the same special effects as the B movies they're putting out on Sci Fi.
  • I never saw the first couple seasons of SG-1, but now that Wal-Mart has the slim packs for $20 a season, I might pick up a couple seasons... Now only if Babylon 5 would come out in slim packs.
  • I've been thinking of buying SG-1 on dvd but I might just wait until it is out on Blu-ray since it would take up less space for an entire series in a few blu-ray than on like 50 DVD's.