This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome Teachers/School Experience

Rym's story of watching Star Wars in band got me thinking, so I want to ask you: Who was the most awesome teacher you've had and why? Also, what was the most awesome thing or things you've done in school? I'm thinking mainly of high school, but that's probably only because I haven't gone to college yet.

As for me, the best teacher I've ever had (and probably the coolest in the entire district) is my European History teacher, who has made references while in class to A) Monty Python, B) Mel Brooks, and C) Stephen Colbert, as well as not-really-subtle prods at the Bush administration. But anyways, one day in class we were covering witch trials in the seventeenth century in class, discussing things like how they determined who was a witch or not and why they were hunting, and the teacher closes class out with this. "And finally, I don't think I could have a discussion on witch trials without showing this clip about how people used 'science' to discover witches."
He turns the TV on, and the clip cuts to a knight in chainmail doing something involving a sparrow when a huge mob comes into sight.
"She's a witch! Burn 'er! Burn 'er!"
"But how do you know she's a witch?"
"Well, she looks like one!"
I wanted to cheer, but I was too busy laughing.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    My American Government and Ancient and Medieval History Teacher, Mr. Parry, was the coolest teacher I have ever had. In his Government class, we wouldn't read out of a text book or listen to lectures, our class would be a country and his other periods would be other countries. We would run our respective countries, hold sessions of Congress and the Senate, start and manage our own businesses and even go to war if needed. In that class, I was President for most of the year and was also one of the founders of a multi-billion dollar industry (so I was incredibly corrupt) but led the country out of a World War and into brighter times. I was assassinated at the end of the year by the CEO of the company, though.

His Ancient and Medieval history class was very similar, but along with running civilizations we would present projects on our respective civilizations (I was the Berbers, so mine was very short...), we would also watch some "historical films" such as Monty Python and the Holy Grail, parts of Gladiator, 300, and parts of Alexander (which sucked).

He also told us about his two forges at his house and all of the weaponry and armour he makes. His classes were amazing and I'm really sad that he moved to a school closer to his house.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I've always loved Mr. Moseley, who taught us about English in 8th Grade by showing us Devo videos and Twilight Zones episodes. That was pretty great. He was also just basically a great teacher all around.

There was also Mr. Maychrowitz, my 10th grade Geometry teacher, and the moderator of the Anime, Movie, and Martial Arts clubs. I also loved his habit of having Tetris competitions with students on the projector.
  • I have two! One's current, one's from gawddamn grade 4.

Ms Karen .. I think that was her name. Anyway she was my grade 4 teacher. She always was thinking some interesting way to teach us, and she read Harry Potter to us - her voice was so amazing. Even now she's in semi-contact; she sends us a postcard every year for Christmas, greeting my brothers and I and telling us a lot about her life. She also ran the Green Team, a club focused on teaching kids how to, as the name says, 'be green'. I was in it both grade 4 and I think grade 5. We did stuff like running through our houses and putting these stickers saying to be careful when using certain chemicals - mostly the ones with the warning triangles. We still have some, I think - the less used chemicals that last that long. And a cookie mining thing! We got a rainbow chip cookie on a plate and a plastic knife, and we'd have to try and get as many of the rainbow chips out. She never ever said anything about how to do it, so the first year I basically tore it apart and made a pile of the rainbow chips. She explained, after everything was done, that the cookie was Earth, and the chips were things like coal - you had to mine carefully and slowly to not damage Earth. This really hit close to home; most of our families were somehow connected to the coal mines that kept the town running. ^_^

The second one is current right now. He's technically not -my- teacher, as much as I wish he was. Mr Mills is the anime club teacher here, and he's a very cultured geek. He's lived in Japan and taught English there. The only bad thing I find is that he's a bit of a perfectionist. It doesn't really annoy me too much, though - usually he's just a bit more criticizing of others. He also plays D&D and I'm in a campaign with him (through a connection of a college-age friend) and while he's not currently the DM - he's taking a break and helping two others campaign instead - when he was the DM he was really awesome. ^-^
  • edited February 2008
    I've had some pretty cool teachers throughout my life, and I guess one of my favorites would have to be Sarah. I don't remember her last name. She taught an after-school class at the American Museum of Natural History. It was a 5-week class that met twice-per-week. The thing that was so awesome about her was the fact that she was so relaxed. She was teaching a course on people and culture. For out field trip we went to Grand Central Station and were told to do things that go against the norm. Two of her friends were there to tape us also. I was allowed to dress up in black, with white headphones, and do the I-pod commercial while people were rushing by to catch their train. No one so much as slowed down to look at me.

As for my greatest experience during high school, that would have to be my 2 weeks sailing over the summer. I know you said school only, but I got 3 college credits from it, and being homeschooled my mom let me slide on much of my science for the following school year. I went on a program called Whale Sail, that was part of Ocean Classroom. It was some of the toughest working 2 weeks of my life. I came out of there a lot stronger and feeling a bit different, in a good way. I'd have to say that it was just being out on a boat hundreds of miles away from the shore. It's kinda scary to think that the closet people who could help you are 500 Miles away, but then it's just so soothing to glide on the water like that. So, sailing was the best experience of my entire high school life.
    Post edited by Solo on
  • edited February 2008
    The only neat thing a teacher did for me was offer me a chance to improve my grade by reading All Quite On the Western Front. I didn't do any homework for the class but aced all the tests. He said my A in tests wouldn't balance the F in homework and I would fail the class. He said if I read and gave a report on the book he would pass me. I read the book in 2 days, gave the report and thanked him for recommending the book. I got a B.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • My favorite teacher is Mr. Estrada who taught painting in HS. He introduced me to some of my favorite artists. He was the rebel of the teachers and was only ten years older than me as well. He knew about some anime too and dressed cool. He changed his hair color every now and then and was an awesome person. Ah! I also had the hugest crush on him. <3
  • edited February 2008
    Best teacher I've ever had was my grade 8 social teacher, Mr. Sharun (pronounced Sha-roon). He was a raving Edmonton Oilers fan and had a worship wall in his room for the team filled with Oiler hats, Oiler jerseys, pictures, etc. and if anyone were to touch it, you were in for lunch with him.

Along with this, he actually made history rather interesting and was always willing to make rather immature jokes for the class (ex: "An Album Cover").

Also to shut people up in his class room, he would chuck dry erase markers at them at random intervals from the other side of the room.

Sadly enough though, he was layed off.
    Post edited by RothOHNOES on