This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Read American Gods for FREE

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
This is an awesome book. It's free. No excuse not to read it while it doesn't cost anything.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Comments

• No excuse not to read it while it doesn't cost anything.
    Well, there is one excuse, a horrible implementation.

But, if you can tolerate the format, it's one hell of a read. It is overwhelmingly my favourite of all Gaiman's works.
  • Awesome! Now any of you who have free time have absolutely no excuse to not have read this book. :)
  • As long as it doesn't fall into the Sandman trap of being the same thing over and over again, I'll probably read it.
  • I know I'm going so sound like my mother but "for free" is grammatically incorrect. It's either "free" or "for nothing".
  • I know I'm going so sound like my mother but "for free" is grammatically incorrect. It's either "free" or "for nothing".
    That makes no sense, "Read American Gods FREE" or "Read American Gods for FREE"

hmmm, I wonder.
  • If this book is that good, I'll spend the eight dollars to purchase it.

I'd rather hold a book than read this off of a screen.
  • If this book is that good
    It is THAT good. Buy it or don't but definitely read it.
  • Heh, I listened to an audiobook version after the Geeknights show about it. Was gooooooooood.
  • Heh, I listened to an audiobook version after the Geeknights show about it. Was gooooooooood.
    Couldn't agree more. A really fine reading. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if Lenny Henry played "Mr. Nancy".
  • This is an awesome book. It's free. No excuse not to read it while it doesn't cost anything.
    I hope I don't sound like a jerk when I say this, but you know where else it's free? The library.
  • I hope I don't sound like a jerk when I say this, but you know where else it's free? The library.
    You know, it's funny. I respect libraries. I think they're an important institution, and I support their public funding.

I have not, however, set foot in a public library even once since I was in middle school. At RIT, other than in my PTC classes (which required extensively researched papers), I never used the library. Even when I did, I checked out a single book once: the rest of the time I simply used the online resources or spent a few minutes in the reading room noting sources (that I then accessed online).
  • I have not, however, set foot in a public library even once since I was in middle school.
    I go to my public library very often. You can ususally check out even the most popular books well before they are available in paperback, you can usually check out a number of graphic novels, and there are quite a few good DVDs and CDs available as well.
  • Infection is due to come out in stores on April 1, 2008, but the author is being allowed to let people download copies of the pdf for free until then.

I don't know if it's any good. This is not an endorsement.
  • Yeah, it's an awesome book, but I'm glad I've read it in its usual "book" form already rather than wanting to do it in an online form now.