This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Statute of Limitations for Guilt Objects

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
We all eventually face the situation where we are given something or have something that someone gave us long ago that we don't like or really need to keep it. Yet, any discovery that we threw it out or gave it away would "hurt" the person who gave it to us.

Ugly ties from Grandma, books on monarch butterflies from Uncle Ned... In my case it's holiday cards from my core family. Yes, they are very nice, clever, thank you so much. But can I throw them out now? What is the statute of limitations on these things that you feel guilty throwing out? At what point does it become unreasonable for the giving party to be offended?

Comments

• Once the giving party forgets they gave them to you.
  • I say a year, or until the person dies.
  • Re-gift. lol
  • The feeling I've been getting from various friends is about 6 months.
  • In my case it's holiday cards from my core family.
    Eh... once the holiday is over dump them? It's useless to save holiday cards. "Oh and here I still have that Christmas card you send me 23 years ago." Right. In case of less seasonal things like cards, I'd dump it after about half a year. Or when you discover it again (which is most likely a long time past half a year). Or of course when you're moving. "Yeah, I had no space in my new apartment for a lot of things so I could only bring necessities."
  • It's useless to save holiday cards.
    Well, I'd say that it's useless to save Hallmark cards. I have a small collection of hand-drawn or otherwise special cards that actually have something meaningful written in them, which I say much as I would any letter of note.

But yes, a generic pre-printed card with a signature is usually tossed within a couple of weeks.
  • You can throw away cards, but you're stuck with the clothes until you get fat or die, whichever comes first. You're stuck with the books until you go blind or die, whichever comes first. The rule is pretty much that you're stuck with whatever item you receive until some disability or infirmity prevents you from using it or you die, whichever comes first.
  • A year unless it has a significant meaning to you or you actually love what it is.

Hell, if its clothes I give it a few months if it's something I never have to or never wear at all.
  • Any greeting cards I receive go in the trash immediately after being read. What am I going to do, re-read them? The thought is nice, but I honestly think sending cards is a stupid and unnecessarily costly tradition that needs to die. I mean, $3.95 for a piece of cardstock with a stupid one-liner inside? Really?
  • edited March 2008
    Any greeting cards I receive go in the trash immediately after being read. What am I going to do, re-read them? The thought is nice, but I honestly think sending cards is a stupid and unnecessarily costly tradition that needs to die. I mean, $3.95 for a piece of cardstock with a stupid one-liner inside? Really?
    I agree. This is definitely one area in which the e-alternative should overwhelm and replace the tradition. Internet cards are cheaper, easier to personalize, don't take up space, and don't have to be thrown away.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • With cards, as Rym said, unless they are particularly special or original, I'll usually throw them away soon after the season of the holiday in question ends. The only cards I've kept in recent memory are the "welcome the baby into the world" ones, Hallmark or otherwise.