This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Speakers for a classroom

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Skip to the black, this is just backstory.
Evening all, one of my new years resolutions was to go through all the old projects I thought up and put some of them in motion. Among these was starting a film club at my school. This didn't fail due to lack of trying but through a combination of not being able to get the room and the speaker system we were using getting flooded.
I want to put decent sound around a largish classroom, have speakers with a coaxial in that can be easily carried (handles and/or straps) and come in as few units as possible (2.1 or just plain 2.0) and don't cost much in case punk kids wreck them. Any sugestions?

Comments

• I know that Fender makes a product that might work, also you can get B-52s. Another option is to do what we have in the living room. Get a sonic T-amp and any two normal speakers.
  • I think I'll go with the T-Amp and speakers option. Because of the technicality of setting it up not many people will buy just speaker sets so they should be cheaper.
  • edited March 2008
    We need a dollar amount. If you want speakers with handles you are getting into pro gear and it's going to be expensive.

The t-amp should be fine, if it's not just get a second one and run them mono to each speaker. Another option is search e-bay / craigslist for an old stereo receiver. I've got a 15 year old Onkyo TX-904 at my office and it puts out great sound, and it's built like a tank. For speakers I would recommend something like a Polk Audio RTi 38 if you can find them. They are very heavy duty, they will take a beating, and they sound wonderful. They don't have handles but they do have a wall mounting bracket on the back that works pretty good as a handle. I have two pair, one for rear surround speakers and one set as my office speakers. The other option is look around for some plans and build your own speakers.

Here is a pair of speakers for sale on avsforums. I have no affiliation with this guy, I just did a google search and these came up. I'd offer him like $275 shipped tops.
    Post edited by am_dragon on