This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

College and Student Loans

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
For those who don't know, I'm 17 years old and a junior in high school. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles, California and want to major in Information Technology.

There are no institute of technology schools in California save for CalTech, which doesn't offer IT. Every UC(University of California) school except for UCLA, however, does including Berkley and San Diego. I've always had it in the back of my mind to go out of state to an _IT school such as RIT, IIT, etc. This thought hadn't been spilled from my mouth until today, where immediately afterwards my parents asserted that I would receive absolutely zero financial aide if I was to go to college out of state.

My parents have always been overprotective and give me relatively little freedom. I want my college experience one where I can gain real world experience, learn to deal with things on my own, and learn how to be come a functioning and independent human being. Their desire is that I stay close to home and go to one of the closer UCs like Long Beach or Santa Monica or even go to the local community college for a few semesters and live at home, but I don't think I could feel wholly independent anywhere inside the state, even if I went as far as San Francisco or San Diego.

On the other hand, I'm fearful of being under so much debt if I take out student loans to go out of state. I feel like I'm going to be off to such a slow start on my life after college with all the money I would owe, money that would take years to pay off. But would the life experience be worth it?

Comments

• But would the life experience be worth it?
    No.

If you want your college experience to test yourself on how you would do in the real world just go to a state school and live on campus. Just tell your parents not to assist you unless it's an emergency, and you'll be alright.
  • Ah. I'm a senior right now confronting the same decisions. My advice would be to apply to both groups of schools, apply for as many scholarships as you can, be sure to get your fafsa/calgrant applications in on time, and when you have replies, work out the differences in price over the amount of time that you'd be at each school. Be sure to include all of the hidden charges that come with going to a faraway school (travel for holidays, etc.). Then figure out how much going away is worth to you.
  • edited March 2008
    California is a pretty big state, and I'm sure there are places here, especially in the north of the state, where you can go while still being pretty independent from your parents (this does depend on how crazy your parents are). I also don't think it's true that you won't get any student aid. A lot of that seems to come down to your family's financial situation more than instate/out of state.

I'd pretty much concur with Gunfire's advice, but I'd also add that if you're worried about financial things, I think one of the best things you can do is work enough to get really good grades, because merit scholarships don't care at all about location, and they can help a lot. Also, mise well apply to a couple out of state schools and see what happens.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • Yeah. I kinda wrote this in an emotionally fueled state. There's no reason that I shouldn't be able to be independent within the state, provided that I live on campus, etc. And again, I'd really hate to be in debt. It wouldn't be bad at all to stay here.

Forget this thread. I've calmed down now.
  • You can definitely learn to be independent within the state. You just have to do three things.

First, don't live with your parents.
    Two, don't call your parents for help unless it's a big problem that they should be involved in. If you go to jail, call them. If you have a problem with a teacher, deal with it.
    Three, don't go home except on holidays and other times.

Location is an important factor in choosing a college, however you shouldn't prioritize location over education. If you can't find a place that teaches the subject matter you want well enough, you should go further away to find a place. An expensive education you want is more worthwhile than a less expensive education you don't want, or sucks. This is at least four years of your life you are spending here, don't waste it.

Don't worry about student loans either. Unless you get way more loans than is normal, you won't be buried in debt. Student loans are backed by the feds, and have very low interest rates. If you do go into technology, you should be able to get a job very quickly. If you are good, you will definitely make enough money for student loan payments.
  • Question, are the rates on student loans in the US that horrible? I mean, I can see how there probably isn't a government student financiation(Is there a word for this?), but they're called student loans for a reason, right?
  • Student loans have extremely low interest, forgiving payment terms, and low barriers to entry.
  • edited March 2008
    However, filing for bankruptcy does not apply to student loans; even if you declare that you are bankrupt and cannot afford to pay, you are still obligated to pay them back. This is because of the lobbying efforts of Sally Mae. While students loans might be easy to get and to pay off if you get a decent job, taking on a loan or debt is still not something you should do lightly. Plan out your money situation and see what looks feasible for you.

If you can work it out so that you can go to school far enough away within the state to be independent while still having the benefit of your parents paying for school, do it. However, you will also need to get some power in your court in case they decide to leverage that against you for control. When you get to college, make sure you get a job on or off campus, make some good friends that you'd feel comfortable sharing an apartment with if necessary, and line up some internships in your field a soon as your major/advisor recommends. Merit scholarships and grants are also a great way to go. You'll want as solid a foundation as you can for when you leave school or should your parents pull the plug on your money for whatever reason.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • However, you will also need to get some power in your court in case they decide to leverage that against you for control.
    Yes, a big part of being independent is not just being able to live on your own without your parents, but getting your parents to live without you.
  • I wonder what it was that happened between one generation of parents and the next that the baby boomers have become such attached helicopter parents and just can't let go. I'm quite hesitant to blame it on the kids themselves; despite whatever some segments of society may say about the lazy and degenerate youth, that's definitely not adequate to explain instances like these where the parents attempt to hold their child in thrall despite the young person's own desire for independence. The thing that annoys me the most, perhaps, is that on one hand parents bemoan how young people are dependent, infantile leeches, living at home until they are 30 - and then on the other hand endeavor to keep their kids powerless and childlike, using authoritarian language and "we are the parents, we know best" appeals to legitimize the way they prolong their offsprings' adolesence.

I think the biggest lie I was ever fed as a child was that adults are infallible and beyond reproach. While children do need guidance and to be socialized/enculturated into the world, having a physically matured body and the accordant social status does not entitle anyone to marginalize another person for the sake of solidifying their own upper hand in a power relationship. Baby boomers are preoccupied with control, and I wonder why. Thoughts?
  • I can only offer one meager hypothesis as to why we have the helicopter parents.

Of course this is anecdotal evidence, but I notice one thing that all non-helicopter parents have in common are interests of their own. If kids haven't left yet, they will often fantasize about what they will do when the kids are out of the house. If the kids have left the house, they will often work towards those fantasies in retirement.

Helicopter parents seem to be the opposite. These are people with no lives outside of raising their children. They have invested 18+ years of time into raising their children, and not much else. If their children become adults and move out, these people have nothing left to live for. Helicoptering is the obvious result.
  • edited March 2008
    You could do what I did, and work in a steel mill to pay for college. Oh wait - you'd have a really hard time finding a steel mill in the U.S. these days . . .

Well, maybe you could join the Army.

Oh wait - maybe you could sell GRIT.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Call me cynical, but I'm pretty sure colleges have almost entirely transformed from institutions of higher learning into factories of personal debt and sources of cheap labor.
  • Call me cynical, but I'm pretty sure colleges have almost entirely transformed from institutions of higher learning into factories of personal debt and sources of cheap labor.
    No, that's just what most of the customers make of it.
  • One thing about the student loans is that even if you have them for a while, if going to a good out of state school that specializes in IT increases your chances of steadily paying them off by getting a good job, then it might be worth going into debt. Speaking for myself, I went to NYU, which is an extremely expensive institution, partly due to the cost of real estate in Manhattan. (Those dorms...whoo, pretty pricey, y'know.) I'm going to be in debt for a while. I got a big scholarship to another art school which would have made my experience significantly cheaper, but the college did not have the variety of subjects I wanted to study. I have to say, if you feel confident in your ability, go to the college that feels right. It will be well worth the financial aggravation. College can become some of your best memories ever.

Independence is not so much about physical distance as it is a state of mind. If you would feel more comfortable going out of state, then get cracking on filling out those scholarship applications, but keep in mind you can be independent by moving across town. You need to be honest with your parents. Next year, you will be an adult, and it might be a good idea to sit down and have that talk with them (sounds like you already have to some extent). I think that moving away would solve some of the problem but not all of it. You could leave the country and they'd still worry about you and want constant updates. The most important thing is do your research and also follow your hunches. Go with what you really want, but be prepared for the consequences (student loans, etc.) If you do that, I think you will be happier.
  • I tried to sell GRIT when I was a kid but nothing ever came back in the mail.

College is not "real life". Real Life does not begin until you are several years into the work force.
  • College is not "real life". Real Life does not begin until you are several years into the work force.
    I'm not alive yet? Shock! Seriously, this "grownup versus kid" business is super full of grey area. There is no set point where you switch over, for it is a gradual process. All life is "Real Life," it's just that some parts of life involve more and different amounts of responsibility. This "real world" business is silly. You've been living in it, unless you have been kept in a box all your life, and you gradually mature as the situation calls for it.
  • College is not "real life". Real Life does not begin until you are several years into the work force.
    I'm not alive yet? Shock! Seriously, this "grownup versus kid" business is super full of grey area. There is no set point where you switch over, for it is a gradual process. All life is "Real Life," it's just that some parts of life involve more and different amounts of responsibility. This "real world" business is silly. You've been living in it, unless you have been kept in a box all your life, and you gradually mature as the situation calls for it.
    [/end stupid discussion about 'real life']
    I whole heartedly agree with gomidog (finally typed correctly after typing three times 'gomigod'). Life is one huge gray area concerning maturity, for you should never fully grow up. Act fully grown up, yes, be, no. You still have to be able to enjoy life. Grown ups moan, children smile.
  • I have a question about student loans. I'm planning on going to grad school in the fall and I'm looking to get a student loan to pay for things even though I probably have enough money to cover things. So I wanted to ask about how I should go about getting the loan? Where I should look for one? Et cetera. I don't have any experience getting one which is why I ask.
  • Talk to the college counselor people. They're paid to do it and they know exactly what forms and such you need. I'd help out more but I haven't actually done these forms myself, nor do I know anything specific about where you live.

Good idea, and double check if they can do this: take the money instead of putting it towards your tuition, and put it into a good savings account or investments or something of that like, probably something where you can take it back out if you ever need it. This way you can avoid spending it if you don't need to, AND make interest! When it comes time to pay it off, take out the original amount in that 6-month grace period, and give it back. Ta-da!
  • Hmm, I go to university but at the moment I still live at home, and have every intention to continue to do so in the near future.