This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Weird DVD Problem

edited March 2008 in Technology
The primary DVD player in my room is a rather old Samsung. I love it to death. I got it in May of 2001 when my employee discount at Best Buy kicked in. It's been with me or my family at least since then. We lost the remote some time ago. Thankfully I have a good universal one that replaces it well enough. Anyway, here's my problem: some widescreen DVDs won't come up as widescreen when I watch them. The two series I personally am having the problem with are The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya and Babylon 5. It's not that the player can't recognize widescreen DVDs. I tested another disc(the Daredevil movie) and it worked just fine, showed up widescreen just like it should have. Oh, and when I put these same DVDs into my Xbox, it shows up widescreen just fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Also, does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it?
Edit: I realized I didn't describe the problem too well. Essentially my DVD player is just focusing on the middle of the picture like a pan and scan DVD, except with no scanning. It's really weird.

Comments

• Is there an aspect ratio setting in the DVD player menu?
  • There may even be an aspect ratio button on the remote (at least your original remote may have had this button).
  • If there is a function in the player menu, it's never been an issue before. I've watched a lot of widescreen movies on this player
  • If there is a function in the player menu, it's never been an issue before. I've watched a lot of widescreen movies on this player
    Some DVDs are poorly mastered, so they are not very good at telling the DVD player what they are doing.
  • I suppose if that is true, but the Xbox handles it fine, and if I have my years right the software for the DVD player in there wouldn't be any newer than my Samsung.
  • I suppose if that is true, but the Xbox handles it fine, and if I have my years right the software for the DVD player in there wouldn't be any newer than my Samsung.
    You're assuming newer = smarter.
  • I'm assuming that the technology would improve over time, yes, because that is the general pattern of something like that. Especially as more and more things were released anamorphic widescreen.