This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Japan and the other side

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
So I was listening to the podcast about Kitaro (good job as always guys) and it got me to thinking about Japanese people and "things from the other side."(Including ghosts and yokai) I have been living in Japan for about 5 and a half years now (not really long enough yet maybe) and I have never thought about it before, but there is definitely something there. Let me give some quick examples.
As an American, when I think of horror movies I think of crazy people with knives or other sharp implements (sure there are some supernaturally powered evil people but that is traditionally a small percentage) and not a ghost, but in Japan "horror movie" means "ghost movie." Some great examples are "Ring," "Chakushin Ari," "Honogurai Mizu no Soko Kara," and so on.
It is not just movies and TV shows in which ghosts constantly make appearances though. There are still some people in Japan that believe that some ailements are caused by poession by ghost foxes or other types of monsters. It is not seem much any more but it is still seen. Every year around the middle of August (because of Obon...the Japanese halloween of types) you can see TV shows about this.
Possession is a major thing, but even every day things are sometimes blamed on ghosts and other monsters. An example of this is the salt that is left in dishes outside of some shops. It is to purafy the place and keep the bad critters out so they can't cause any harm.
Any way there are a lot of other examples out there, but I dont wnat to make this a long post (my first post...yay(!?)). Just want to get back to the point. Even though most of the Japanese might not actually believe in these ghost and monsters that you see in anime like kitaro, it is so engrained into their culture that it is natural for them and it shows up in their pop-culture. This is also why shows like Kitaro have such a huge following.
What does everyone think of this? I am no social scientist (I am a normal scientist). Let me know.

(A little bit off topic but what you wanted to say was "Ome ha sude ni shindeiru" (お前は既に死んでいる))

Comments

• Well, there are Crazy Christians in the US that believe in demonic possession. From what I've seen, most Japanese people like the legends but don't really take them all that seriously. Superstitions are part of any culture. I remember hearing an old Southern lady talk about how tying blue bottles to a tree was supposed to be lucky. People throw salt over their shoulder and even I am conscious of when there is a full moon. Even though the idea of youkai might be more prominent in Japanese culture it is by no means exclusive to Japan.

You are lucky! 5.5 years in Japan! I lived there twice and I really want to move back. Where abouts do you live?
  • I lived there twice and I really want to move back.
    Trouble looms for the impossible Geekhause dream.
  • (A little bit off topic but what you wanted to say was "Ome ha sude ni shindeiru" (お前は既に死んでいる))
    Awesome, now I can say it properly.
  • Trouble looms for the impossible Geekhause dream.
    Not really. Just because I'm not ready for a house, and I wander around a lot doesn't mean Geekhaus is doomed. I am but one person, and even if I travel I will always be FRC. Geekhaus does not need me constantly around to succeed.
  • Hmm? Geekhaus Japan location? LOL
  • I would say that one thing that is constant in all regions when it comes to horror movies is the love of "zombies". There have been some decent zombies flicks come out of America (Romero's dead series), Europe (Fulci's zombie films) and Asia (Wild Zero, Junk, Stacy, Bio Zombie).
  • I live in a place called Nagaoka inb Niigata prefecture (2 hours stright north of Tokyo by bullet train...on the cost of the sea of Japan). It is a city but it is very "inaka." Maybe it is because I have lived in the inaka all my time in Japan that I see a lot of people that believe a lot of ghosts and youkai. From what I can tell people that live in Tokyo don't believe in anything anymore. (I am not a big fan of Tokyo if you couldn't tell.)
    Any way, from everything I have seen, Japanese people really love ghosts. You can start a hell of a conversation by just saying that you have seen a ghost. Every summer people go to haunted houses in their area (no, not everyone but a lot more people than you would think) and "test their guts"(kimo dameshi ->肝試し). There is one that is near my house (well an hour away) that my Japanese friends have talked me into going to visit. I am going to see if I can talk other people into visiting it as well. It would be great to see a ghost like the one from the ring with the long hair in front of the face. ("great"? gah...) I guess I will have to bring some salt and juzu. Wish me luck!
  • From what I can tell people that live in Tokyo don't believe in anything anymore. (I am not a big fan of Tokyo if you couldn't tell.)
    Many people, upon moving to the city, think that casting off the beliefs they had when they lived in the small towns somehow makes them more civilized and less rustic.
  • edited March 2008
    I lived in Tokyo during high school and also lived in Nagoya for a time when I was going to college and like any big city both have a much less traditional atmosphere than the surrounding country side. But I love Tokyo! Tokyo Represent, yo!

肝試しか...楽しいよね、そういうの。あたしも結構好きなんだけど...

By the way, I'm glad you joined the forums. We need more people like you on here with all your wonderful Japanese knowledges.
    Post edited by gomidog on

• Many people, upon moving to the city, think that casting off the beliefs they had when they lived in the small towns somehow makes them more civilized and less rustic.
    But it....never mind. Not even going to touch that one.
  • Hmm? Geekhaus Japan location? LOL
    That'd be kick ass.
  • By the way, I'm glad you joined the forums. We need more people like you on here with all your wonderful Japanese knowledges.
    Why thank you. I will be sure to discuss/rant about more Japanese things as time goes on. (Nothing quite like a good rant, right?)
    Nagoya sounds like a nice place. I have never made it down that far south. It is on my list, but so is about 80% of Japan heh

As for casting off beliefs when moving to a big city... that seems to go on here big time with Tokyo. It's a waste because the old Japanese culture is very interesting. Just another example of the bright lights of the big city blinding people so they won't see either where they came from or where they are going. (That damn anti-tokyo streak in me is coming out again heh)

Geekhaus Japan? Sounds good to me. I live in a big (by Japanese standards) house by myself any way.
  • Awww, don't be hating on Tokyo so much. I have a lot of great memories of living there, but then again I'm a New Yorker, and I suppose I've always been more of a city person.

In some ways I am playing devils advocate, because I am also enthralled by traditional Japanese culture, but I might want to warn against romanticizing "tradition" too much. The ideas that "old ways are always better" are used by conservative factions in many countries to warn against change and in many cases prevent movement forward. In general, Urban areas tend to be more progressive in their social views, more cosmopolitan and open to change. I'm not saying that it's good for people to forget their past, but if everyone continued living through "tradition" then society would often stagnate and not change to be more accepting, more informed. I strongly agree that people should have interest in their heritage, their history, and the stories that are passed down by the tellers of their culture. It can be fascinating and also can provide insight into situations in the current day. "Tradition" is often used opposite the term "modern" and tends to be invoked when people feel threatened by changes in the present. Don't worry, though. Even in Tokyo, yukata will always come back into style for the summer fireworks and people will still write "picture horses" at the shrine before a big test. Japanese tradition will never truly die.
  • Cultural displacement is interesting. Despite being an American, I only came to appreciate certain aspects of American culture after being introduced to their significance via Japanese fans. Bourbon was just something rednecks drank. Jeans were just cheap pants. Donald was just an old Disney mascot. All the interesting stuff, now that was coming out of Japan. :P

It'd be interesting if there were those in Japan who had similar things happen because of their interest in Americana leading them to come into contact with American Japanophiles. :)
  • Well, I just want people (not just in Japan, but all around the world) to know about the culture and history of the country they are born in and the country they currently live in. I am never happy when I know more about Japanese culture than my Japanese friend. But, it is fun to explain it to them heh.
    Oh well, tis the way of the world. At least no one threw peanuts at me this year for setsubun ^^v