This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Math or Computer Science

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
I am going to university next year and I am wondering if math would have a heavier workload than computer science. My skills and interest in both are about even and the university I am going to specializes in both evenly.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    I only took a couple of computer classes so I can't really tell you about that, but I can say I had to work pretty damn hard to get my math degree.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • It is something that you really can not compare. Yes Math and Computer Science overlap in certain areas however to say one is "easier" then the other is something that is relative to you.
  • The heaviness of the workload is relative to you. If you enjoy both subjects equally than neither will feel particularly heavy to you. Besides, you don't pick a course of study because it is easier than another.
  • I know I shouldn't pick one based on workload, but I don't want one getting in the way of other activities and life.
  • I know I shouldn't pick one based on workload, but I don't want one getting in the way of other activities and life.
    You need a change of mindset. College is your life and activities for the next four + years. Base it on what you want to do with your life. Not on how to get the easy way out to a degree.
    You need a change of mindset. College is your life and activities for the next four + years. Base it on what you want to do with your life. Not on how to get the easy way out to a degree.
    He is correct. While researching colleges I was very close to going to the Katherine Gibbs school because it had a 9 to 1 female to male ratio. I ended up going in the Army which was more like 99 to 1 male to female. It all worked out in the end.
  • I'm leaning towards math now and I do know that I should not care about the amount of work, but I have seen so many people hate subjects they loved because of having too much work to do. I'm leaning towards math because of the work feeling less like work when compared to other subjects.
  • I'm leaning towards math now and I do know that I should not care about the amount of work, but I have seen so many people hate subjects they loved because of having too much work to do. I'm leaning towards math because of the work feeling less like work when compared to other subjects.
    If you truly love something, you are not going to hate it due to the amount of work. In fact, it should be quite the opposite. If you love something, you should feel that you can never get enough of it. Keep in mind, balance is the key.
  • Agreed, I still do think that if you are losing sleep and gaining a lot of stress from something, whether you love it or not, it can make your life miserable.
  • Agreed, I still do think that if you are losing sleep and gaining a lot of stress from something, whether you love it or not, it can make your life miserable.
    Losing sleep may apply, to an extent. Sleep is going to be lost, no matter what you are doing. However, if you do not sleep at all for days/weeks or months on end, then we have another problem. Lastly, stress gain? It's not a tea party, it's College.
    Losing sleep may apply, to an extent. Sleep is going to be lost, no matter what you are doing. However, if you do not sleep at all for days/weeks or months on end, then we have another problem. Lastly, stress gain? It's not a tea party, it's College.
    I know it's not a tea party, but surely you can see a varying amount of work from course to course. Compare a social worker with a biochemist as an example. Based on my observations, there are far too many who put too much on their plate for whatever reason and they become unhappy people.
    I know it's not a tea party, but surely you can see a varying amount of work from course to course. Compare a social worker with a biochemist as an example. Based on my observations, there are far too many who put too much on their plate for whatever reason and they become unhappy people.
    All I can tell you is to do what you actually love, and not what will be the least amount of work. I leave it entirely in your hands. ^_~
    All I can tell you is to do what you actually love, and not what will be the least amount of work. I leave it entirely in your hands. ^_~
    I agree with what you are saying, but say you did like two things equally and one caused more stress than the other, wouldn't you choose the less stressful one?
  • Depends what the two "things" were.
  • Let me clear things up, I did not mean to make myself sound lazy, I just don't want to underestimate the workload of one degree over the other. A greater amount of stress in one degree may push me to the other degree, that's all.
    I agree with what you are saying, but say you did like two things equally and one caused more stress than the other, wouldn't you choose the less stressful one?
    I think that no matter how "equal" you may like the two, if you envision yourself in the future doing each job until you grow old and retire, one is going to stand out as the winner. You should pick that one.
  • Let me clear things up, I did not mean to make myself sound lazy, I just don't want to underestimate the workload of one degree over the other. A greater amount of stress in one degree may push me to the other degree, that's all.
    That's completely your choice. Just be prepared. There is going to be a horrendous workload, no matter what you take.
    That's completely your choice. Just be prepared. There is going to be a horrendous workload, no matter what you take.
    Really now? You mean in the math and science fields right? I've looked into the social sciences as well and I have friends in economics and they do less work than I did in high school.
  • Ok, let me clarify. I was too broad in my terms. I should have said "anything you take that is worthwhile, and not a waste of money". Suffice to say, Math or Sciences.
  • Ok, let me clarify. I was too broad in my terms. I should have said "anything you take that is worthwhile, and not a waste of money". Suffice to say, Math or Sciences.
    OH SNAP! I'm very glad that you share the same feelings that I do.
  • One may say I'm not exactly a master of the Liberal Arts. Therefore, I hold a general grudge against it.
  • One may say I'm not exactly a master of the Liberal Arts. Therefore, I hold a general grudge against it.
    My cousin first told me she was majoring in archeology, I held my laughter in till she told me her gpa was below 1.5 and she was considering a second major in anthropology. Then again, her sister took a one year college course in dog grooming so maybe it runs in her family.
  • edited March 2008
    Another thing to consider is how easy it will be to find employment after you receive your B.S. A CS B.S. will probably get you a better job faster than a Math B.S. Actual employment as a "real" mathematician is going to require a PhD.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Another thing to consider is how easy it will be to find employment after you receive your B.S. A CS B.S. will probably get you a better job faster than a Math B.S. Actual employment as a "real" mathematician is going to require a PhD.
    I'm planning on being a high school teacher and in Toronto anyways, all the jobs that require a BS in CS consider a BS in Math to be equal and will accept it. I have thought about the job opportunities and Applied Math seems to be what I am looking at. There is also a Mathematical Science, which is a blend of Math and CS classes.
  • Maybe you should man up and do a double major. ~_^
  • Actually, at a local university, if you go and get your major in CS, you get an automatic minor in Math, because of the amount of math required. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to turn that into a major.
  • Actually, at a local university, if you go and get your major in CS, you get an automatic minor in Math, because of the amount of math required. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to turn that into a major.
    At the university I am going to go to, they have different math classes designed for every different field. In order to get a minor in math, you have to take the full calculus and algebras classes and such. The computer science calculus is different.
    At the university I am going to go to, they have different math classes designed for every different field. In order to get a minor in math, you have to take the full calculus and algebras classes and such. The computer science calculus is different.
    U of T, or McMaster?
    U of T, or McMaster?
    Mcmaster, I live in Hamilton and I don't feel like paying residence fees.
  • Can't go wrong with Mac.