This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080306 - The Tuesday Adventure

RymRym
edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the matter of Tuesday's no-show, rolling it all into a nice lesson on adversity. In the news, New York cracks down on Chinatown bootlegs, and Apple busts out with the iPhone.

Scott's Thing - Captain Disillusion
Rym's Thing - The Trumpet Kings

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Error - no download.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Error - no download.
    God, you people. It takes a few SECONDS before the links are active after I post. ;^)
  • Scott's Thing -Captain Disillusion
    God damn you, Scott. That's what I was going to blog about tonight.
  • Error - no download.
    God, you people. It takes a few SECONDS before the links are active after I post. ;^)
    Sorry, I get too excited when I see a new episode goes up :D
  • Scott's Thing -Captain Disillusion
    This was pretty cool except for the whole painted face thing. I don't think it really added anything special to his videos other than creeping me out. =/
  • Minimum wage in San Francisco is $9.36/hour.
  • My uncle's on the trumpet site. I think that's pretty cool.
  • I was listening to the whole show with a bit of a puzzled look on my face until I realized that you have a 75 mile commute. Maybe it's a small-town reaction, but it would never occur to me to get a job that far away from my house. Interesting podcast.
  • Maybe it's a small-town reaction, but it would never occur to me to get a job that far away from my house. Interesting podcast.
    The kind of work we do doesn't exist outside of major cities. There are probably less than ten cities in the world where I could get a job even close to what I have now. I've never lived outside of the orbit of a major city in my entire life.

The problem with this is that living within the borders of one of these global cities is prohibitively expensive. Someday...
  • I realized that you have a 75 mile commute.
    There's a mile marker at the train station that says NY 69. It's maybe a mile from the train station to our house. Where did you get the extra 5 miles from?
  • Not knowing the precise address of your jobs or house, I just did a Mapquest search for "Manhattan, NY" to "Beacon, NY" which probably used arbitrary city centers for the distance estimation.
  • There's a mile marker at the train station that says NY 69.
    So that's why you chose Beacon!
  • Wow. That's far but if the pay is good it's worth the trip.
  • It's not so much about pay, its about actually having work in the first place. With my profession you really can't be choosy. There's not much going on in small towns if you are in the film industry (and there are no Kinokuniyas or Beard Papa's but that is beside the point). Basically, NY or LA are the big centers for film and either way there would be a commute. However, in New York I spend about an hour sitting on the train every morning and evening, playing my DS, reading my books, drawing, writing, etc. where as in LA I would fight for my life on 6 lane freeways of death. I choose my battles.
  • edited March 2008
    The show isn't in iTunes. Scratch that.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on