This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

YouTube's going the extra mile.

edited March 2008 in Technology
I was surprised to find this while viewing through my YouTube subscriptions today:

I asked the video's author how he managed to do that, and he said that he didn't know. It looks like the Tube is finally wising up. (This is the video in question, if you're curious.)

Please note that this link isn't showing up on all current videos, which I found interesting, and some other videos were already in higher quality with no link required.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Wasn't this on the news a while ago? I've known this was going to happen for a while now.

Also, some videos are uploaded with poor quality, so Youtube can't offer them in any higher quality.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • /me watches the video in question in both 'qualities'. So... what's the fucking difference? Both are still crappy Youtube quality pretty much identical to one another.

Perhaps the 'high' quality video has its artifacts in other locations. Or slightly lighter coloured artifacts in some places, and darker in others. Or it's just the same crappy quality as one should expect and not bother about.
  • Even better is the fact that you can watch YouTube high quality videos by default. When you’re logged in to your YouTube account, click “Account”. Then under the “Account Section” look for “Video Playback Quality.” Click that and then this is what you’ll see.