This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Speed Racer

edited March 2008 in Movies
The official trailer has just been posted and while it looks bad ass it makes me worry about how true the developers are going to be to the American version of the show.

Comments

• Not very, but it looks amazing nonetheless.
  • I like monkeys :D
  • You know, given the number of times that his brother and the monkey turned up in the trunk one would think they would learn to start checking the car more thoroughly before the race starts.
  • edited March 2008
    Hmm. Set design reminds me of that horrible Cat in the Hat movie crossed with 2 Fast 2 Furious neon.
    Post edited by Gunfire on
  • edited March 2008
    It looks totally shitty.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I saw it today. It was like an acid trip.
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
    Depends on what kind of acid trips do you usually have. :P
    It is all relative you know.
  • edited May 2008
    Well, it was a horrendous movie. But the thing was, it was wonderfully horrendous. There are massive amounts of unintentional(?) innuendo and also a lot of hilariously terrible jokes and phrases, but the visuals are incredibly trippy. For example, near the end during the last race, as the camera follows the car along the track, the side wall has an animation of a running zebra that flashes and pops out as if you're wearing 3-D glasses. Then the whole screen turns into a spiral of red and white checks. Another example is at one point there are two people sitting in a room side by side and on the wall behind them is a giant projected image of a koi swimming about. The entire movie is chock full of this kind of weird and inexplicable stuff.

There are also only two kinds of editing transitions in this movie: cut, and heads moving across the screen as the scene changes behind them. The latter technique is used incredibly frequently, almost more than cuts.

If you have epilepsy or get motion sickness and watch this movie, you are liable to die as a result. This is a movie best enjoyed in a theater with a lot of friends and tons of little kids asking their parents "Daddy, what does that mean?" when Spirtle gives the bad guy the finger as the elevator door closes or when Speed Racer say he isn't "going to put up with this shit any longer". Yeah, I thought this was supposed to be a kids movie too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Well, it was a horrendous movie. But the thing was, it was wonderfully horrendous. There are massive amounts of unintentional(?) innuendo and also a lot of hilariously terrible jokes and phrases, but the visuals are incredibly trippy. For example, near the end during the last race, as the camera follows the car along the track, the side wall has an animation of a running zebra that flashes and pops out as if you're wearing 3-D glasses. Then the whole screen turns into a spiral of red and white checks. Another example is at one point there are two people sitting in a room side by side and on the wall behind them is a giant projected image of a koi swimming about. The entire movie is chock full of this kind of weird and inexplicable stuff.

There are also only two kinds of editing transitions in this movie: cut, and heads moving across the screen as the scene changes behind them. The latter technique is used incredibly frequently, almost more than cuts.

If you have epilepsy or get motion sickness and watch this movie, you are liable to die as a result. This is a movie best enjoyed in a theater with a lot of friends and tons of little kids asking their parents "Daddy, what does that mean?" when Spirtle gives the bad guy the finger as the elevator door closes or when Speed Racer say he isn't "going to put up with this shit any longer". Yeah, I thought this was supposed to be a kids movie too.
    Yes it is funny to hear kids ask their parents what "the finger" means but you cannot look me in the eye, and say that you would not want this kind of racing to exist in real life? Not Nascar, or F 1 or anything like that Speed Racer style racing where the cars flip around like skateboards. Of course I would want to see Giant Robot fighting first but that is a given.
  • edited May 2008
    but you cannot look me in the eye, and say that you would not want this kind of racing to exist in real life?
    I think something more like Wacky Races would be better.
    Post edited by Sail on