This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Onsen! (Hot springs)

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
So after a long day of running around with my elementary school kids, I decided to take an onsen (yeah, foreigners in Japan do use it as a verb). And, now that I am all warm and relaxed I figured I want to talk a little about how to do the onsen thing (for any of those that end up in Japan and want to be naked with people of the same sex). This is the way I take an onsen in most of places I have been. Of course, I have not been to all of the onsen in Japan so I can't say this is the same for all places.
1) Entering the building
Well, this may seem to be the easiest thing to do, but there is a lot to do before you get into the hot water. First you have take off your shoes at the door. This is not always the case, but in most cases you take off your shoes and lock them up in a box. Take the key from that box to the main counter and give it to the person there. You will also pay this person (the place I go to costs around 1000 yen). They then hand you another key that is sort of hidden on a bracelet. That is the key to your clothes locker. Some onsen give you towels at this point. If you don't have one and they don't give you one, you can rent one most times. Of course you can't keep the towels, though I "accidentally" took my first towel home (oopppsss).
2) Getting naked and wet (my favorite part)
So now you got to find the changing room. This part is important! Men are behind the blue curtain and woman are behind the red one! (men also have this kanji 男 and woman have the one 女). So get undressed and go find the actual onsen room. Don't forget to bring your small long wash cloth with you. It is the only thing that protects you from the "I wonder how big the gaijin" looks. (The better way to say that is "It is the only thing that may keep your dignity" but I like the first way of saying it better.) Before you do dive into the big tubs remember to take a shower first. Clean your hair and skin thoroughly.
3) Soaking time.
This is the best part. Well, it's what everyone comes for any way. Not a lot to say here besides never take your wash cloth into the tub and if it is wet don't ring it out into the tub. I suggest trying the outside tubs if the place you go to has them. Nothing better than sitting outside in a hot pool of water in the freezing cold. If there are a lot of different types of tubs, try them all. They all feel good in different ways.
4) Time to leave.
After you are done soaking to your heart's content before to take one more shower before you leave the onsen. A lot of the natural onsen (as compared to the sentou or public baths) smell of rotten eggs. Let me tell you that you don't want to be trapped in a car with someone that got out of an onsen without showering. If you bought anything while you were in the onsen you might have to pay at the front desk again. This is different for different onsen. So go and give back your towel and wash cloth, pay and get your shoe box key. Get your shoes and you can leave newly relaxed and warm.

So what do you guys think? Did that help anyone at all? I was thinking of doing more of these guides to Japan (and rants about Japan). Is it something that people would read and appreciated? Let me know. And, of course, if anyone has anything to add it would be great to see what I missed.

Comments

• What the hell? Did you just try to teach me how to shower?
  • I really want one of those crazy Yakuza tattoos. There are only two reasons I don't get one. First, the pain. Second, I won't be allowed in the onsen!
  • I really want one of those crazy Yakuza tattoos. There are only two reasons I don't get one. First, the pain. Second, I won't be allowed in the onsen!
    Third. What do you think Ichijima's looked like after forty or so years of aging? ^_~
    Yep and no. Actually I taught you how to take a bath, but it is not as easy as it sounds. It is not a natural process for someone not from Japan. I guess it didn't help than.
    Actually, there is a big problem with visitors to Japan not knowing the proper bathing techniques. It's troubling for the Japanese patrons in some cases, so listen well if you ever plan to go to an onsen or a public bath.

I was initiated into the custom of public bathing soon after I first arrived in Japan 6 years ago. I got to the Tokyo Olympic Center (which serves as a youth hostel) and realized that if I wanted a shower I was going to have to go down to get nekkid in front of everybody. I was gung ho about it and so from my first night on I immediately got used to sentou. It is so nice! My friend from college in Nagoya came to visit last weekend and while we were sitting at the local thai restaurant we got talking about onsen, and it made me really wanna go! Japanese baths are the best!
  • I always wanted to try on of these. I lot of people I know would freak at the whole naked in front of strangers but I'm cool with it. It smells like rotten eggs though? How do people deal with that?
  • It's because of the volcanic activity. It's really not that bad, just a whiff of sulfur. Heh. Also, on that note, I have the interesting distinction of being able to say I have seen 100 naked Japanese schoolgirls and having it be true. (We went to lots of Onsen on the school trip in Hokkaido.)
  • I have seen 100 naked Japanese schoolgirls
    Where is this place?
  • edited March 2008
    II have seen 100 naked Japanese schoolgirls and having it be true. (We went to lots of Onsen on the school trip in Hokkaido.)
    *jealous beyond reason, belief and infinity* LOL
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited March 2008
    I have seen 100 naked Japanese schoolgirls
    Where is this place?
    It's the place that comes just before prison.

I don't know if this is to do with my heat tolerance but onsen are damn hot. Clarification: I find them uncomfortably hot.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Where is this place?
    It doesn't matter. If anime are to be believed, any guy who goes there will get their ass kicked so hard that they will end up on the far side of the moon.
  • edited March 2008
    ass kicked so hard that they will end up on the far side of the moon.
    A metaphor for being arrested.

Also, welcome Jei-Sensei
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You had to get my hopes up, you just had to.
  • OoOoOh, that sounds so wonderful.. <3 I don't even have a bathtub right now, we're renovating the thing. ><;

I was always curious how to do things like that - I knew you had to wash before but that's it. =3

At the schoolgirls and the nudity: I'm good with both. >=3
    edited March 2008
    You had to get my hopes up, you just had to.
    Eh, Emily is a girl. Of course she goes to the women bath...
    At the schoolgirls and the nudity: I'm good with both. >=3
    Expected.
    *jealous beyond reason, belief and infinity* LOL
    Not expected...
    Actually, there is a big problem with visitors to Japan not knowing the proper bathing techniques. It's troubling for the Japanese patrons in some cases, so listen well if you ever plan to go to an onsen or a public bath.
    Those people don't check into the culture before going to Japan? Japan is known for having many, many traditions. That, and anime is quite informing on this part. Clean yourself before taking a bath.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Man, my country have natural thermal spring baths but I do not like going to them because they smell weird. My father told me that it had something to do with the natural mineral like sulfur. I mean why going to take a bath if you have to take a shower afterwards just to wash out the bad smell :(
  • It smells like rotten eggs though?
    All the natural ones do smell of sulphur. Depending on the onsen the smell might be very strong, but those are usually the best onsen.
    I don't know if this is to do with my heat tolerance but onsen are damn hot.
    There are a lot of very hot onsen out there. I like my onsen around 40c but there are onsen out there that i can't even sit down in. If a person does manage to get into a very hot onsen there is on thing to keep in mind: don't move. If you don't move your body will actually cool down the water around you and it will be very nice. On the other hand if you do move around the water will remain hot and it will very uncomfortable.
    Also, welcome Jei-Sensei
    Thanks! I am glad to be here!
    Those people don't check into the culture before going to Japan?
    You would be surprised. Maybe people know a little, but sometimes that is not enough. The most important part of traveling in Japan and any other foreign country is this: look at the people around you and do what they do. I can't tell you how many times that saved me my first few years in Japan (and sometimes even now). That rule helps you in everything from onsen to parties in Japan. Gawd knows that you don't want to drink before everyone else in a Japanese party hah.
  • Man, my country have natural thermal spring baths but I do not like going to them because they smell weird. My father told me that it had something to do with the natural mineral like sulfur. I mean why going to take a bath if you have to take a shower afterwards just to wash out the bad smell :(
    You do it because it's relaxing. It's a form of heat therapy, really. Does wonders for getting rid of those aches and pains, much like a hot bath or shower - the only thing is is that it's done naturally (which, if you find the hot spring, is cheaper overall) and the way it is heated causes the smell. I have no idea how. I completely forgot. XD
  • Does wonders for getting rid of those aches and pains
    They have a special word for that in Japanese. It is touji (湯治). It literally means hot water fix for sickness. That is why I go to an onsen after anyone forces me to do some sort of activity *grumble grumble*
  • Hot water feels really good, and it loosens the muscles if they are all tightened up. However, I can assure you it does not cure any sickness other than perhaps dehydration if you drink it. Maybe it can help with hypothermia as well.
  • Maybe it can help with hypothermia as well.
    And frostbite.
  • Maybe it can help with hypothermia as well.
    And frostbite.
    Wrong - for frostbite, you must warm it up -slowly-, not quickly like hot water would do.

You learn shit in -40 C weather.