This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Graphics Card/Power Supply Question

edited March 2008 in Technology
Wanted to pose this question here since I figured someone might be able to help me out. I bought some new computer parts for a new PC and when I put them all together I started to get some BIOS beeps, looked them up and it said that the video card wasn't working. So I reseated it figuring it wasn't pushed in far enough (as is usually the case when I get those beeps,) but I continued to get the beeps. So I sent the video card back to newegg figuring that its most likely broken. I haven't got it back yet, but I started to think (and wonder) is it possible that my power supply isn't strong enough. What I mean is it possible that because my power supply couldn't handle everything plugged into it it merely didn't power the video card thus producing the BIOS beeps?

I don't think that's the case, since everything else worked fine, but I figured I would ask in order to ease my mind.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Not sure, but it seems like if it was a power supply problem (related to the video card demands) you would have got a little further than the BIOS beeps. But I could be wrong.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • When you get beeps RAM is the most common problem. A short on the motherboard due to poor seating is the second most common problem. Power supply not strong enough is the third most common problem.

If you get the documentation for your motherboard, there should be a beep code chart. Different types of beeps mean different things, but the codes are different for every motherboard.
  • If you get the documentation for your motherboard, there should be a beep code chart. Different types of beeps mean different things, but the codes are different for every motherboard.
    ...I started to get some BIOS beeps, looked them up and it said that the video card wasn't working...
  • Your power supply should have enough oomph to drive your video card if the only load is your motherboard and the card itself. If the new card has the same problem, try unplugging any drives you might have and see if it'll boot. Beyond that, I'm split 50/50 between a bad power supply or motherboard.
  • So I got the video card replacement this week, and today I just put everything together in the new computer, and now it turns on. No BIOS beeps or anything, but I'm still not getting any video. Although it seems that the system is loading fine otherwise. I'm assuming this is a problem with the mobo, but figured I should ask here and see if anyone had any input about it.
  • So I got the video card replacement this week, and today I just put everything together in the new computer, and now it turns on. No BIOS beeps or anything, but I'm still not getting any video. Although it seems that the system is loading fine otherwise. I'm assuming this is a problem with the mobo, but figured I should ask here and see if anyone had any input about it.
    Try both video cards in another computer. Then you will know for sure.
  • edited March 2008
    Well problem there is 1: I returned the old video card to newegg in order to get the replacement. And 2: they are PCI-express and I have only AGP motherboards aside from the new one.

Edit: I just had a thought for why it might not be working. If this is the case I'm a dumbass.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Didn't plug the monitor in?
  • edited March 2008
    No, the monitor was plugged in.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Basically what I thought it might have been is that the video card came with a special 6 pin power thing you need to plug a 4 pin into. Well I thought you only needed one, then I realized that its likely designed so that you need to plug two 4 pins into it. So did that and still nothing happened. So although I forgot to do that, at least thats one less thing it could be.
  • Basically what I thought it might have been is that the video card came with a special 6 pin power thing you need to plug a 4 pin into.
    Why would it want you to plug a 4-pin power plug into a 6-pin hole? What voltage does the video card want? After finding that out, look up what each of the outputs on your power supply provides.
  • Well I think I've narrowed it down to one of two things... possibly both. Either my power supply isn't powerful enough (tried Newegg's calculator and apparently I need 5 Watts more then my PSU is, plus its a year or so old so probably doesn't do 500 anymore,) or my RAM which is DDR and apparently the RAM has to be DDR2. So I'm just going to order some new RAM and a new PSU which should hopefully resolve the issues.