This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ethics in Information Technology

edited March 2008 in Technology
I have to make a presentation for a class about ethics in IT, now I've done research and all of that but I'm looking for more opinions on what is ethical or not in IT. Any situations you have been involved with, or know about.

Also do you think ethics in IT are less or more important than on a different kind of job?

Comments

• Ethics encompasses every aspect of IT, to the point that I cannot even begin to address the question here. You can expect a show on it as part of the IT/CS series.
  • This is a large percent of what we've been going over in my IT class at school. My teacher basically just wants us to know how to cover our asses, so we don't get fired for something we didn't do, or put in jail for license violation.

Things like: "What if we know a company has more computers than seats purchased for their server?"
    Answer: Properly word a signed document saying you are aware there are more computers accessing the server than seats payed for, but it will not exceed the limit of concurrent connections, to your knowledge.
  • Ethics is vital to your IT staff. Most ethics issues would quickly turn into legal trouble for an IT professional that decided to use his or her access rights inappropriately.

As an IT administrator you could have access to EVERYING on the network. Access to your boss's PC. Access to employment records. Access to the backup tapes for your enterprise. Access to change the level of logging on a server. You must remain diligent in protecting the data and yourself. Locking down your network includes providing a way to grant appropriate access to resources for everyone including people inside your IT department. Like Rym said, there is a ton of stuff to cover here.
  • Most ethics issues would quickly turn into legal trouble for an IT professional that decided to use his or her access rights inappropriately.
    That's not ethics. That's compliance.
    Like Rym said, there is a ton of stuff to cover here.
    Yeap. ^_~
  • And this is even before we get into the social engineering aspects of network security.
  • Ethics encompasses every aspect of IT, to the point that I cannot even begin to address the question here. You can expect a show on it as part of the IT/CS series.
    I took an entire course on planning a "board" for IT. Similar to the BAR for lawyers, it is something that seems so simple to do, but once you start figuring out what is and isn't good in IT...you will rip your hair out.
    I took an entire course on planning a "board" for IT. Similar to the BAR for lawyers, it is something that seems so simple to do, but once you start figuring out what is and isn't good in IT...you will rip your hair out.
    Oh good, Green's class, so much pain.