This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Card help

edited March 2008 in Technology
I just got a new PC and was wondering about video cards. The integrated card that it came with works and I allocated 256 of the system RAM to it. Would it be possible to play portal without having to buy a new card? If not, then what is the best card available for around $100? I've looked around and found a few god ones but no customer reviews. Help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Can someone find that website that could test your system specs and tell you what games you could play?
  • I think this is what you are looking for.
  • There's a similar site, canyourunit.com (while it should be read as "can you run it" someone pointed out that it also reads "can your unit"). Were I in your shoes, I might opt for one of these two cards in terms of specs and good reviews.
  • There's a similar site,canyourunit.com(while it should be read as "can you run it" someone pointed out that it also reads "can your unit").
    I will have to point out that it's EXACTLY the same site, one link just refers to the other.
  • For any of us to give an accurate answer we would first have to know what video card your PC can handle.

Is it AGP-only? If so then you're pretty much screwed when it comes to getting anything that is a decent upgrade. You could probably get one that would play most of today's games, but I wouldn't expect any graphics that make you go "ooh" or "ahh" out of it. If I had to pick one of the two that spotdart suggested I would go with the GeForce based unit as I wouldn't wish the pain that is dealing with ATI's Catalyst drivers on my worst enemy.

If your box can handle PCI-Express then I would suggest this card as it clocks in at just over a C-note and would be slightly future-proof - it could easily get you through the next few years. Just don't expect it to run Crysis at full speed, mmkay?