This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anyone own an upscaling DVD player?

edited March 2008 in Technology
I'm looking online for a deal on an HD-DVD player or just a regular up-scaling DVD player (until blue-ray drops in price or I get that PS3) and I would to know if anyone on here has purchased an up-scalling DVD player. I see these things going for dirt cheap and I do need to replace my current DVD player.

Are these things any good? Do they need an HDMI cable to be useful or can they send the 1080P over component?

Comments

• I picked up an RCA upscaling DVD player for under $50. 480P is a big improvement over 480i but, other than that, I don't notice anything big as I cycle through 720P/1080i/1080P.

I needed a new DVD player anyways and I think the $50 was an adequate amount to spend.
  • 480P is a big improvement over 480i
    Problem... They're the same besides the number of frames per second. As for the larger resolutions, is your screen large enough to actually notice the differences? Do you use a digital cable? Can your screen actually show high(er) definitions?
  • 480P is a big improvement over 480i
    Problem... They're the same besides the number of frames per second. As for the larger resolutions, is your screen large enough to actually notice the differences? Do you use a digital cable? Can your screen actually show high(er) definitions?
    They are clearly not the same. Saying 480i and 480P are the same is like saying 1080i and 1080P are the same. If they were the same a 720P set would also be able to display 1080P and not just 1080i.

Yes, my set runs up to 1080P. It also runs at some other settings if you use the DVI port and a PC. No on Digital Cable, I'll be upgrading my dish to HD next month.

To test the difference on screen I plugged the DVD player in via the analog cords as well as the HDMI and switched back and forth between them.
  • To test the difference on screen I plugged the DVD player in via the analog cords as well as the HDMI and switched back and forth between them.
    That's a good test. However, what you should have done is have someone else switch them back and forth when you weren't in the room. That way you would come in and say which was better, A or B, not knowing which as p and which was i.
  • :HEADDESK:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not a thread about RESOLUTIONS? You wish to upscale, i.e. output video on a larger resolution than it's stored in. So yes, concerning this topic 480p and 480i are the same (RESOLUTION, just to be sure you got that). And yes, 1080p and 1080i are also the same concerning the discussion in this thread. But no to a 720p set being able to display 1080p or 1080i. 480 is different from 720, which is different from 1080.

The only difference is the number of frames and the build of the frames. The p, meaning progressive, generally (in the US if I recall correctly) means 30 frames per second with every vertical line being refreshed every frame, whereas i, meaning interlaced, means 60 frames per second, only now the odd vertical lines are refreshed one frame, and the even vertical lines are refreshed the next frame.

What you thought was a "huge improvement" is only perceived quality. It's the same quality, you only notice some perceived lower quality with interlaced when a there's a fast moving scene. But it's still the same resolution and quality as it's progressive counterpart.
  • edited March 2008
    Now I am confused. How does a 1366×768/720P set show 1080i?

I've been doing a lot of reading up on HD this evening. I now understand why my HDTV was using the fact that one of its inputs is direct (no scaling/processing). I did not realize that if the HDTV has a slow processor in it there can be a certain amount of lag between the display and what is feeding it. This was shown in regards to the view-screen on a camcorder attached to an HDTV where the two pictures were not moving in sync. Clearly this could be a serious problem when it comes to plugging in your game console.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Now I am confused. How does a 1366×768/720P set show 1080i?
    Not. 1080i means the resolution is 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels. (Checks Wikipedia for confirmation jic) Yes, here is a image overlaying the various resolutions for comparison. A 720p set might be able to handle 1080 definition signals, but will just downscale it to it's own resolution, but might just as well display blank. Depends on the screen and manufacturer though, can't really say for I don't own any HD stuff. It might as well be that every HD screen is capable of handling resolutions above it's own, it might as well be that there is no such thing.

As for your lagging, that sucks. Didn't thought that processor speed might be a problem, then again, quite logical if it's a cheap(er) HD tv.
  • edited March 2008
    I think the reason I am seeing no difference as I cycle through the resolutions on my DVD player is that the TV converts all input signals to 1080P for display. So, even when I send it a 480P signal the TV up-scales it to 1080P before displaying it on screen.

That is the one problem with LCDs, they are designed with one resolution in mind and anything other than that resolution looks like crap on it. (Change the resolution on your laptop LCD panel to see an example of this.)

So, what you are saying about 1080i on a 720P set is that the TV is not showing 1080i but is instead converting the image to 720P? If that is true I am surprised no one has sued the 720P manufacturers for false advertising because when you read about their sets it looks like they are claiming the TV runs in 1080i mode.

This is from Sharp and gives a brief overview of the set I just got.
    The AQUOS® LC-32GP1U is a dream come true for game players. This is the first LCD TV designed from the ground up to be optimized for today’s state-of-the-art video game consoles. The newly developed Vyper Drive game mode eliminates any perceptible video lag time. Side-mounted terminals provide easy connections to games. A custom remote control includes an innovative "Game" button that quickly jumps into Vyper Drive and activates the side terminals. Six 1080p-compatible terminals (3 HDMI, 2 component, 1 DVI-I) ensure that images delivered via your game console's 1080p outputs will be as clear as possible. The AQUOS LC-32GP1U also features an incredible 6ms response time and 10,00:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio combined with Full HD 1080p resolution.
    What's the best HDTV for gaming?
  • The difference between p and i.
    The factual accuracy of this article is disputed.
    Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page.(March 2008)
    Hehe.

As for the 720p vs 1080i question, the wikipedia page for 720p says this:
    Progressive scanning reduces the need to prevent flicker by filtering out fine details, so spatial (sharpness) resolution is much closer to 1080i than the number of scan lines would suggest.
    Which might be the reason why it's advertised as 1080i(!!!), just as a marketing ploy. Most consumers know roughly that 'HD' means higher definition, and thus (assume) higher quality. 1080 is a bigger number than 720, thus that set looks a lot more interesting for consumers who see two tv sets of similar price, only one being advertised as 720p (and also being really 720p), and the other being advertised as 1080i quality (while it's just a 720p tv set).
    So, what you are saying about 1080i on a 720P set is that the TV is not showing 1080i but is instead converting the image to 720P? If that is true I am surprised no one has sued the 720P manufacturers for false advertising because when you read about their sets it looks like they are claiming the TV runs in 1080i mode.
    As to what I was saying, if something is (truly) 720p it has 1280 pixels horizontally, and 720 pixels vertically. There is no way, not even with magic blue dust, to fit a 1920x1080 pixel image in there without downscaling the image. As for a potential question concerning why your resolution is 1366×768, marketing. More pixels means they can output a higher definition than 'true' 720p. This again to make it look more like a 1080i screen.

From the marketing blurb you posted I think it can just support 1080 resolutions, but requires a preprocessed signal. I.e. it might only display 1080 resolutions if you send 1080 resolutions (taken from "...ensure that images delivered via your game console's 1080p outputs..."). That way the tv set won't have to do all the upscaling processing itself and just spends it's (possibly little) processing power outputting the date received onto the screen at a fast rate (taken from "...an incredible 6ms response time...").

Of course I can be waaaaaaaay off since I know nothing about marketing, don't know the exact nitty-gritty details from either the tv set or consumer HD standards (i.e. the standards used by companies to create more profit), but logical reasoning helps tackle this a bit, since cheaper production + smart marketing = more sales = more profit = good. Those bastards. Here in the Netherlands we have (perhaps had if the trend if over by now) a period when TV's were labelled "HD READY!", whatever the hell that meant exactly I do not know and did not bother looking up. My father bought one of those things and while it does look better than standard 480 resolutions (of course with digital cable), I doubt the tv was anywhere near 1080 resolutions and perhaps barely outputting a 720 resolution.

More in depth I can not really help you I guess since I only have this much (little?) general knowledge about HD, HD tv's and HD marketing. I mean, if you look at it horribly pessimistic everything you can buy is a scam for they are trying to rip you off no matter what.
  • edited March 2008
    From what I have read the 1366×768/720P sets do not follow the HD standard but were instead produced because of the way the bits fall. Building a panel at that resolution is cheaper because of the math involved.

1366 x 768 = 1,049,088
    True 720P is 1280x720 =921,600

20 bit number = 1,048,576

Some manufacturers looked at the math involved and decided to go with the 1366x768 panel size. They were then able to market those panels as better because they were bigger. The problem that arises is that the set has to upconvert 720P to display on the slightly oversized panel.

I'm satisfied with the set I got and the price I paid for it. I was real close to going with the 37" model for $100 more but that would have been too big and required acquiring new A/V furniture.