This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The 70s Thread

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Led Zeppelin. Pink Floyd.

'Nuff said. This decade wins.

Comments

• 'Nuff said. This decade wins.
    Only music-wise.
  • Led Zeppelin. Pink Floyd.

Wings. Disco. Male perms.
  • Wings. Disco. Male perms.
    Disco good, perms bad.
  • edited March 2008
    The perms were tolerable. You didn't really see them that often. Not as many people had them as you might think. The leisure suits were much worse. Everyone had a leisure suit and wore it everywhere.

I remember watching the POWs returning in '73. I remember watching the Watergate hearings. I remember watching the Fall of Saigon in '75. People back then wouldn't take half the crap from the government that they take now.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited March 2008
    Good times, Disco, Afro's, Gloria Vanderbult jeans.

Most of what I know comes from my mom who was a happenin' disco queen! Plus the big blue 70's fuzzy couch we had and the beads in the doorway until I was 7. Plus a shit ton of records of soul, disco and R&B.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Gloria Vanderbult jeans.
    I don't mean to quibble, but I honestly don't remember hearing about Gloria Vanderbilt or her jeans until about 1982.
  • Led Zeppelin. Pink Floyd.

Wings. Disco. Male perms.
    Race riots. Watergate. Vietnam. Pet rocks. Ford pardons Nixon. Oil crisis. Recession. NIne percent unemployment. Farrah Fawcett posters. Son of Sam. Twelve and a half percent inflation. Jim Jones. Three Mile Island.

Joe, you must have been in your heyday. I know how much you love it when bad things happen. I can just imagine you frothing.
  • edited March 2008
    Race riots. Watergate. Vietnam. Pet rocks. Ford pardons Nixon. Oil crisis. Recession. NIne percent unemployment. Farrah Fawcett posters. Son of Sam. Twelve and a half percent inflation. Jim Jones. Three Mile Island.
    And we're still here!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Race riots. Watergate. Vietnam. Pet rocks. Ford pardons Nixon. Oil crisis. Recession. NIne percent unemployment. Farrah Fawcett posters. Son of Sam. Twelve and a half percent inflation. Jim Jones. Three Mile Island.
    And we're still here!
    But Scott, you should be frightened. Bush is going to kill us all. He's going to change the Constitution, become the king of America, lock up your grandparents, torture your unborn children, declare every Wednesday Jesus Day, force us to eat Big Macs until we puke, invade Iran, and eliminate the minimum wage! Don't you see? Why are you so blind?
  • But Scott, you should be frightened. Bush is going to kill us all. He's going to change the Constitution, become the king of America, lock up your grandparents, torture your unborn children, declare every Wednesday Jesus Day, force us to eat Big Macs until we puke, invade Iran, and eliminate the minimum wage! Don't you see? Why are you so blind?
    It's been almost 8 years, and he hasn't even come close to that yet. If he was really dangerous, he would have come after me long ago.
  • Race riots. Watergate. Vietnam. Pet rocks. Ford pardons Nixon. Oil crisis. Recession. NIne percent unemployment. Farrah Fawcett posters. Son of Sam. Twelve and a half percent inflation. Jim Jones. Three Mile Island.
    Thought that was "We didn't start the fire" for a second.
  • edited March 2008
    But Scott, you should be frightened. Bush is going to kill us all. He's going to change the Constitution, become the king of America, lock up your grandparents, torture your unborn children, declare every Wednesday Jesus Day, force us to eat Big Macs until we puke, invade Iran, and eliminate the minimum wage! Don't you see? Why are you so blind?
    It's been almost 8 years, and he hasn't even come close to that yet. If he was really dangerous, he would have come after me long ago.
    Well, there's been more damage done to the Constitution in the last eight years than in the preceding 211 years but, since you want to ignore it until it affects you personally, just go ahead and ignore it. Maybe you'll think about it if your name ends up on a terror watch list, like nearly a million innocent people, and keeps you from attending an anime convention.
    That stuff was lightweight compared to what's in store.
  • Shaft was awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    . . . invade Iran . . . ?
    Yesterday, Cheney told ABC News that Iran might still be trying to build a nuclear weapon. Do you seriously think they're not going to try to mix it up with Iran before they leave?
  • edited March 2008
    Farrah Fawcett posters
    Yeah Baby! Don't forget Loni Anderson and Bo Derek (late 70's). What about the dukes of Hazard, Barney Miller and M.A.S.H.?

The 70's had the best sitcoms.

Was I the only one who had this before the Atari 2600 came out?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Do you seriously think they're not going to try to mix it up with Iran before they leave?
    No money for it. I'm not worried.
  • Walt Disney World. That is all I am going to say.
  • edited March 2008
    Was I the only one who had this before the Atari 2600 came out?
    My parents did. I don't know if we still have it.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Punk music, or at least the first couple years of it.
  • The Only Band That Matters.
  • We used to go to teen dances every Sunday night. They had a table top Space Invaders game that we played the hell out of. God, I had girlfriends yet still though it was cool to drink all the pop that they had mixed together, that and wear disco shirts.
  • edited March 2008
    . . . that and wear disco shirts.
    I had a disco shirt that I thought was SO COOL. Mostly it was because it felt nice since it was made of satin. It had some kind of trippy disco/space motif print. I wouldn't dream of wearing such a travesty now, but if they made a regular tattersall pattern or maybe just plain white satin shirt, I might consider it.
    They had a table top Space Invaders game that we played the hell out of.
    I remember seeing my first Space Invaders game in a tourist-y gift shop in Franklin, TN in 1979. I was mesmerized.

I remember reading an article about about laser disc players in 1973 and trying to imagine what one would be like. The thought of being able to see any movie you wanted at any time without commercials seemed too good to be true. I thought I would never see one in real life. Around that time, I was also very excited about plans to build a Superman Amusement Park in Metropolis, Il.