This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The 20s thread.

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Let's talk about Felix the Cat and Ziegfeld Follies.

Comments

• Felix the Cat was from the 1920's!? HOLY CRAP! I love that cat!
  • Flappers.
  • edited March 2008
    Yeah, this thread is as funny as a screen door on a submarine. I'll say this for the 20s: Fashion was better, People were smarter, and you could smoke whatever you wanted wherever you wanted whenever you wanted.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The 20's and 30's are the home of noir films. Thank the gods for Bogart.
    I really don't mean to quibble again, buit I don't remember anyone using the term "film noir" until the late 40s.
  • While I agree, most were set in the 20's and 30's, no?
    Nothing like a little bit of romancing the past to make it look better.

I got two words for you: Venereal Diseases. Penicillin was not discovered until 1928 and it's use was not widespread until years later.
  • edited March 2008
    While I agree, most were set in the 20's and 30's, no?
    "The movie now most commonly cited as the first "true" film noir is Stranger on the Third Floor (1940)." Source.
    Most of these movies were set in contemporary times, so the time I always imagined for The Maltese Falcon, for instance, was the early 40s. I guess you might consider it happening in the late 30s. The 20s just weren't noir. I just can't think of that time period in that way.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Yeah, this thread is as funny as a screen door on a submarine.
    Agreed. What the fuck, you guys fail. This and the 1900s thread are effectively spam.