This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guitar Hero DS

edited March 2008 in Video Games
So, what does everyone think of Guitar Hero DS and it's attachments?

Comments

• I don't own a DS but I am a big Guitar Hero fan. For the concept it looks very interesting. Only four buttons makes it a little bit easy, but is necessary to not make everybody drop their devices, but I wonder if the screens are big enough.
  • I can't get blood from this stone!
  • The design for the peripheral is a lot better than it could have been.
  • It could be fun. Or it could be an epic fail.
  • How the hell are you supposed to use it. I know that you are supposed to hold it in the book form, but how do you strum the bottom screen and press the buttons?
  • Press the buttons with your fingers on your left hand, and strum with the stylus (in your right hand).
  • edited March 2008
    But the add-on plugs into the GBA port! You will be all cramped up on one side while trying to watch the top screen!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I think I would shake the DS too much while moving my fingers around to focus on the notes while making sure I'm strumming in the right part of the bottom screen.
  • The whole game seems to be more like Accordion Hero than Guitar Hero.
  • Let's be honest; the problem here isn't the peripheral. It's storage space. How many songs are they going to be able to fit on the cart? Nine? Ten? Maybe twelve? The reason I stopped playing Elite Beat Agents was that I was sick of the songs. Guitar Hero will have the same exact issue.
  • edited March 2008
    Let's be honest; the problem here isn't the peripheral. It's storage space. How many songs are they going to be able to fit on the cart? Nine? Ten? Maybe twelve? The reason I stopped playing Elite Beat Agents was that I was sick of the songs. Guitar Hero will have the same exact issue.
    It depends. Daigasso Band Brothers had like 30ish songs....then again, they were all in midi (so obviously no lyrics, the lyric tracks got converted into an instrument that went to the pitch of the lyrics, though, so it was good enough. It would be awful for something like GH, though). Taiko Drum Master for DS also has a decent amount of songs, but I also don't think any of them have lyrics.

So yeah, unless they add some extra storage in the peripheral, there probably won't be more than around 15 songs.

Anyways, I won't be getting this.
    I would have much rather them just made an attachment that went from a regular GH guitar into the GBA slot. Sure, at that point you more or less defeat the purpose of having it on a portable system. Then again, bringing a DS and a guitar to your friend's house is easier than your PS2 and guitar.

Plus, the fact that the orange fret got removed made it a lot easier. Plus, as already mentioned, I'm sure looking at the screen will be a nightmare when playing this.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Well there is plenty of room for expansion in terms of game size. The largest game I have seen was only 128megs, so with recent developments in flash technology they should be able to fit quite a bit on a NDS cartridge.
  • I can't get blood from this stone!
    Man, it's so much fun beating this dead horse.
  • edited March 2008
    Taiko Drum Master for DS also has a decent amount of songs, but I also don't think any of them have lyrics.
    Nah, half of the songs have lyrics in them, but they were all condensed to 1 minute songs.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Let's be honest; the problem here isn't the peripheral. It's storage space. How many songs are they going to be able to fit on the cart? Nine? Ten? Maybe twelve? The reason I stopped playing Elite Beat Agents was that I was sick of the songs. Guitar Hero will have the same exact issue.
    I'd be a bit more concerned about the risk of carpal tunnel than how much music the game could hold. Speaking of the devil, how on earth will the music sound coming from the speakers? What about the headphone jack? Will the peripheral be in the way? How many people will point and laugh at the poor man playing this game while he is in a mess of wires and arm-slings?
  • At least the designers have a good taste in amps. (I used to have the amp that's flashed on the trailer, it's really good.)
  • At least the designers have a good taste in amps. (I used to have the amp that's flashed on the trailer, it's really good.)
    I'm pretty sure that it's just that they get paid to have that stuff in the game.
  • Jeez, $2K just to flash an amp.

Why break a perfectly good mesa/boogie?!

I don't it annoys me.
  • I'd be a bit more concerned about the risk of carpal tunnel than how much music the game could hold. Speaking of the devil, how on earth will the music sound coming from the speakers? What about the headphone jack? Will the peripheral be in the way? How many people will point and laugh at the poor man playing this game while he is in a mess of wires and arm-slings?
    Well, from the look of the peripheral on the video and the pictures from the page it appears that the headphone jack isn't blocked. but that still makes for another cord running from the DS to get wrapped around your extremities. I like the idea of using the "pick" stylus to "strum" on the touch screen, but I foresee a lot of scratched up and busted touch screens in the near future for some people after this game is released. Also, it looks like they forced some use of the microphone in there as if you watch closely in the video it shows the player's guitar going up in flames on the screen and then the next scene shows the guy blowing at his DS. I'm assuming he is "blowing out" the flames. As for the layout of the game, I don't think there's going to be any really good way to allow for a "lefty flip" unless the color rings around the actual buttons can be switched around, or the game actually changes the color paths of the notes so that Blue swaps for Green when the unit is flipped over. Granted, I'm not totally concerned about that as I'm a righty, but it's something to consider.