This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

High School dances

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
First off, to those of you who aren't in HS anymore- did you go to stuff like homecoming and prom? Why or why not?

To those of you in HS- did you go to past dances, and are you going to future dances like Prom?

To everyone- what are your general thoughts on them?

As for me...Freshmen year I went to a few of the smaller dances, since they were very casual (jeans and a polo was standard), and played a lot less rap than the bigger dances (hell, even one of the dances was all techno, which was fucking awesome). One of the times they even had DDR set up, which was also awesome, since my school has a very large DDR playing community.
I've never gone to homecoming or the other formal dances, though.
My reasons:
1. price. The smaller dances were usually just free.
2. shit music. Yeah, it's usually all rap and annoying line dances.
3. stupid people- my school's filled with em (then again, what high school isn't?)
4. actually, my freshmen year's homecoming conflicted with a concert I wanted to go to...so I went to that instead, and it was sweet. So I generally prefer doing my own awesome things on homecoming night rather than actually going.

As for prom, I'm not sure if I should go or not. I'm thinking of either:
1. just going....
2. hitting up some after parties (though I don't drink, so my options are kinda limited).
3. having a "Fuck Prom" rave with my friends, trying to get as many people as we can to come (which we're seriously considering, and seriously considering going over the top with this....like renting out rooms at party centers and stuff like that).

Comments

• While I was in the US as an "exchange student" I got invited to a prom. My feeling was that it isn't really that great. What was fun though was hanging around with the people I met afterwards.
  • I am going to my prom, mostly so I can say that I went and also the fact that it is being held at the Maryland Science Center with an after prom at Dave and Busters. The locations are just too awesome to pass up.
  • We don't have a prom or homecoming party. Or 'prom', as I figure, is our walk around an ice rink that's been boarded up during the grad ceremonies. We still have to look pretty, and there is a part where couples and then parents/kids pair up to dance...

There has been school dances every year, but this has been the only year that they actually pulled off more than one. The other two years I've been here, there's always been some problem of drugs or booze. I personally have never went.

But a rave with your friends? Probably worth it if you can pull it off. If you're more interested in the rave, why not? Spread it around with word of mouth. =3
  • I went to a really good 8th grade dance. It was at a nearby country club with great food. It was fun and I first danced with a guy at that dance.

I went to the homecoming dance in freshman year. I didn't have a good time really. It was just R&B and hip hop. Plus, barely any of my friends went. I really just went because I thought that's what you do in High School.

10 + 12th grade homecoming were cancelled due to gym rebuilding and probably some weapon problem. I didn't go to 11th anyway.

Prom was awesome. All my buds in 12th were there. We danced, looked hot and it was pretty. It was at this really cool hotel and the after party was ESPN zone. We gamed and ate breakfast food until the morning. Plus I liked fashion a lot back then so I wore the coolest prom dress and after party outfit.

That seems so long ago. 5 years!
  • I used to go to school dances a lot in junior high. That was when I was in my Tween Girl OMG phase. It's fun to dance, but it was always kinda blah music. Sometimes to be a snot, I'd go request JRock songs from the DJ and they would be all like "What band? Laruku what?" and I'd feel all superior. (That must be what hipsters feel like when they name drop indie bands) I remember going to dances...wow. •Nostalgic•

Prom was awesome, because I was with my friends and I got to dress up really fancy in a long flowing gossamer dress that was the color of spring leaves. I love wearing formal wear and going to events that give the excuse to look all hoity-toity. I didn't have a boyfriend at the time so I went with my pal Matt, who picked out an old fashioned tuxedo that made him look kinda like a priest but he had long pretty hair at the time and looked kinda bishie, so it made for good photo ops. One of my favorite parts of the night was when we got to tear down the decorations after the prom was over and Matt got completely covered from head to toe in tinsel. But anti-prom parties can also be really fun (my mom and her pals had one. They were the snarky art girls of their generation.) Prom is not about the dance, the dance is just an excuse. The fun part is having fun with friends. Go with someone you can really cut loose with.

However, senior ball I did not go to. I went and and saw the Matrix reloaded with a guy pal of mine, and we hung out and ate ice cream sandwiches from the bodega, and were all like, "Man, I'm glad I'm not spending hundreds of dollars to eat dinner and dance at some hotel!" and all together were not very regretful for having blown off a high school right of passage.

• 3. stupid people- my school's filled with em (then again, what high school isn't?)
    Amen brother!
  • My school's playlist for dances goes a like this:

1. Generic Rap Beat
    2. Another Generic Rap Beat
    3. Soulja Boy
    4. (Repeat from step 1)

1. Generic Rap Beat
    3. Soulja Boy
    4. (Repeat from step 1)
    That is crap. The best is Soulja Boy, but that must only be listened to ONCE a day. Preferably once every two days. As for High School dances. I only went to the last dance of my last year in High School. Part of the reason why I went to that one was because of the theme, Heroes and Villains. It was awesome.

1. Generic Rap Beat
    3. Soulja Boy
    4. (Repeat from step 1)
    Soulja Boy needs to die. I want to kill it. In the DC area gogo music would be added to that list. If you don't know what it is, don't worry, you aren't missing anything.
  • My school doesn't even have dances, at all. Stupid Americans... ^_~
  • I went to school dances starting in 8th grade (end of middle school), and that lasted until the end of 9th (freshman high school) with the occasional dance visit in the years after that when I was bored. My schools mostly played the same music, stuff from the 1997-8 era and all the big group dance songs, until I graduated and presumably to this day. They never had snacks and they were always in the school gym or cafeteria, but they were usually free.

Proms are a slightly different story. I went to a junior prom in another state (long-distance girlfriend at the time) and then went to both my senior prom and another distant senior prom with the same girl. They were fun times and they all actually took place off school grounds, but were sandwiched on both sides by a half-day-long car ride. They were higher quality than the average dance, but a school dance with a tuxedo on is still a school dance.
  • At my Homecoming this year they played Zombie Nation, but everything else was crap. Oh and Soulja Boy (god, it kills me to type that) needs to die in a fire, then have his ashes pissed on and his song needs to be erased from everyone's memories using that mind eraser thing from Men in Black.
  • I attended two dances when I was in high school. The school's idea of a dance was a small room in an old broken down Hilton with lights that didn't work half the time. I would watch from the sidelines as the so-called "preps" humped each other on the dance floor and think to myself, "This isn't being stopped?" What they took for music any sane being would avoid with the same determination as a mosquito would to citronella candles. The only attraction, besides the travesty the chaperones were ignoring, was a chocolate fountain that would constantly get clogged from the throngs of people frequenting it. The teachers would stick to the entrance in an attempt to be useful (a concept that they never understood), but ultimately just created more stress for themselves. The sole table available for use was in the middle of a war zone between the different cliques. The punks would attempt defensive maneuvers as the jocks threw their weapons. All the while, the pretty girls would be neutral until they saw who won. The various factions all had surrendered when I, with my bemused countenance, left to better spend my time elsewhere.