This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to make a (good) website

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Okay, I listened to the episode on Making a Web Site already, but I'm going to ask you all anyway, because I'm curious as to your opinions and processes for doing so.

I need to know the easiest/most efficient way to make a web site that shows off a product or store. It needs an e-store where people can purchase items from the store or prints from the artist.

I can accomplish some of this with HTML, but I want this to look professional and I'm pretty sure there's an easier way to do this then with extensive HTML.

I also am wondering what the best hosting option is. I've used sites like godaddy and 1&1 before, but I can think of so much easier systems, and these hosting options seem too complex for what I need to do.

Comments

• Maybe with some JavaScript and AJAX action?
  • Would I be correct in saying that what you need is a portfolio site with a store to sell prints?
  • Check out HCoop. They used to host a forum I frequented, TPU.
  • E-Commerce sucks ass. The easiest way is to just get someone else to give you a store like Big Cartel or Yahoo!
  • The main reason I asked this is because I have had tons of requests to build web pages for people. I was just looking for the easiest way to make a snazzy looking web page and a good hosting site for those pages. An e-store is also a common request, so that's why I asked about that.
  • The main reason I asked this is because I have had tons of requests to build web pages for people. I was just looking for the easiest way to make a snazzy looking web page and a good hosting site for those pages. An e-store is also a common request, so that's why I asked about that.
    If you want to setup an e-store on a site you are hosting, you can try zencart or oscommerce. They both suck, but they are the only things that are free. Other things are better, but cost money.
  • Money isn't a problem, most of these people are small town business owners asking for their first website to break onto the internet scene. They are willing to pay for a website, and these people think snazzy is a big deal.
  • Money isn't a problem, most of these people are small town business owners asking for their first website to break onto the internet scene. They are willing to pay for a website, and these people think snazzy is a big deal.
    Check out this page. Technically, this is just a list of ecommerce solutions that have Google Checkout support. Don't worry about the Google Checkout shit. It just also happens to be a useful list of popular ecommerce solutions in general.
  • Okay, I can easily take care of the e-store thing now that I have that list, for the website though, what's the easiest thing to do? Download the wordpress thing and install it on a host server? What hosting should I use?
  • Okay, I can easily take care of the e-store thing now that I have that list, for the website though, what's the easiest thing to do? Download the wordpress thing and install it on a host server? What hosting should I use?
    Usually the store is also the website...
  • Take a look at Kenzer and Company. I moved them from a system where they had all of their information in static php pages and a separate shopping cart app to just using oscommerce. Before you would pull a page of information on a product and then have to find it again in the webstore. Now it's all in one place.

Yes, oscommerce has some problems and I have not worked on this particular site in about 2 years. The one thing I do remember was that there was a problem in the script that generated the order emails in that it often left off the options information. This was a problem because if someone ordered something in "blue" the email to the shipping department would never know.
  • I decided that I would bump this instead of making a new thread, since necro posting is cool now.

Anyway, I've been getting a ton more requests for websites, but lately from quite a few musicians. They aren't interested in selling anything, and don't just want a Myspace page or something of that nature. They want a nice, snazzy website to feature some of their music, and maybe have a few other small things.

My main questions are:

1. What's the best language to make it in/should I just make a wordpress type blog for this?

2. Where do I host it at? These people have a good bit of money and just want a reliable and good hosting solution.
  • Wordpress is good because they can go into it themselves and update their own blog and can even upload music through the user interface. You can find a ton of themes for free that look good too. The only thing is that if they know anything about the internet they know that wordpress is free and most of the themes are also, so you charging them for wordpress might make them say "Hold on".

Elief.com is a really good host I use, haven't had a issue with them yet. They're also affordable.
  • Here is an awesome script from del.icio.us that places a "play" button next to any .mp3 link. Very useful for musicians.

Play Tagger

Besides that - wordpress is the way to go, since the musicians would then be able to update the blog and upload songs by themselves.