This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gibson vs. Guitar Hero

edited March 2008 in Video Games
As many of you know the makers of Guitar Hero have a licensing deal with Gibson to model the GH controllers after Gibson guitars. Currently Gibson is suing Activision because Gibson has a patent on some sort of video performance of a concert system. The patent (like most) is hard to read but I don't see Gibson having a leg to stand on here.

Comments

• I've been half-following this on Kotaku, and it seems like so much penis-waggling to me.
  • There's another story behind this one that will be revealed soon enough. I'm thinking that Gibson and Activision had a falling out over the licensing deal, and now Gibson is trying to fight back in any way it can.
  • Fuck Gibson. Fenders all the way.

/troll

/troll
    Failure. Gibson is far better.

/troll
    Failure. Gibson is far better.
    I think Gibson is more classy looking, whereas Fender is more Garage Band, punk down the street guitar looking. This is just a generalization however, it does not always apply.
  • I think Gibson is more classy looking, whereas Fender is more Garage Band, punk down the street guitar looking.
    This is somewhat true. As far as guitars go, Gibson tries for the "high end and gaudy" aesthetic and Fender tries for the "affordable but still kick-ass". My problem is that a standard Les Paul is about $300-$400 more expensive than a standard Strat or Tele for a product that is not $300 better. As far as basses go, which is my expertise, Gibson flat out has poor quality control. And again, as awesome as a Thunderbird looks, Fender builds basses half the price which are far more versatile.
  • Fuck both Fender and Gibson, I play ESP and Ibanez.

Not to mention both Gibson and Fender sell their brand, their guitar are good, but not as much as smaller companies (I'm not saying Ibanez or ESP are innocent of this.)

Vintage Gibsons and vintage Fenders are where the shits at.

Search " the strat from hell" on Youtube.
  • Ibanez.
    This is mention worthy as well.
  • edited March 2008
    Ibanez.
    This is mention worthy as well.
    Thirded.
    Search " the strat from hell" on Youtube.
    I did. Fuck yeah.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I used to own an Ibanez. It was a very nice guitar and I never should have sold it.
  • I bought an Ibanez SV prestige recently, it's the dog's pants. 8D
  • I haven't played a guitar for real since 5th grade. I've never played an electric guitar. I like Fender more just based on style.
  • Ibanez is also my preferred choice.
  • Ibanez is also my preferred choice.
    Which one?

The Ibanez S and Iceman are awesome.
  • I have these two:

JS100 I think. Which is my "main" guitar.

The first electric guitar I ever bought though was a Ibanez Gio, because it was relatively inexpensive.
  • Oh, the Joe Satriani model in apple red.

Nice choice.
  • edited March 2008
    This discussion reminded me of the guitar played by a guy in a local band. It's an Ibanez Explorer with a fin sawed off and a paint job, and it's one of the sickest things I've ever seen.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I don't know about you guys, but I'm partial to The Whamola.