This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Torrents

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
A networking question:

I am having a problem with my torrent downloader. When I start downloading, the Internet crashes in a matter of minutes. Both my PC (using Firefox) and my Mac (using Safari) cannot access any web sites. I have tried using Utorrent and Bittorrent, and nether work. What is really strange is that the torrents continue to download. The only way I have found to get the Internet back up is to reset the modem (Motorola) and the router (Netgear). I was hoping someone here would know what the problem might be.

Sylest (Chris)

Comments

• Do you have a slow Internet connection? I sometimes have problems when I upload a lot and it then looks like the whole connection gets filled up by the upload and nothing can be downloaded any more. As a simple fix you could try limiting your BitTorrent upload, which should be done no matter what. To find out if it helps you could limit it to something very low as 5 kb/s and then go gradually up to find out your maximum.
  • edited March 2008
    No, it's as fast as the cable company can give me.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2008
    When I was using ABC (yet another bittorent), I didn't have the same problem.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • no its as fast as the cable company can give me
    I also have pretty much the quickest available but it still sucks and they have the connection set to a lower speed as the one they sell.
    ABC (yet another bittorent)
    Could you please explain that, do you mean a different BitTorrent client like Azureus or uTorrent or a different P2P Protocol like Gnutella and such?
  • edited March 2008
    Yes, ABC is another BitTorrent client. So, do you know what to do or of any other BitTorrent Clients which I can use that are good?
    Post edited by Rym on
    edited March 2008
    Could you please explain that, do you mean a different BitTorrent client like Azureus or uTorrent or a different P2P Protocol like Gnutella and such?
    ABC stands for "Another Bittorrent Client", it's just another bittorrent client like Azureus and uTorrent.

As for potential problems. Might be that you clog up your network by uploading at maximum speed. In that case, go to speedtest.net, run a test, and limit your upload speed to 80%-85% of your maximum upload speed. It could also be that you're just establishing too much connections and that it gets clogged up that way with a lot of half-open connections, but I don't know much about that though, let alone have a solution other than the logical, lower the number of connections your bittorrent client makes.

EDIT:
    So do you know what to do or any other BitTorrent Clients that i can use that are good?
    uTorrent, Azureus, possibly the official client. And then you have a bunch of Linux hailed clients like Ktorrent. I use uTorrent with Wine. I really like uTorrent. :)
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited March 2008
    When I start downloading, the Internet crashes in a matter of minutes.
    Packet shaping. I get the same problem between 4pm and 12am. You have three possible fixes: 1) Try using transfer encryption, 2)Find out the time constraints and use a scheduler to run your torrents overnight or 3)Get a different ISP.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2008
    I like uTorrent as well, but uTorrent and BitTorrent are what is causing the problems.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2008
    I like uTorrent aswell but uTorrent abd BitTorrent are what is causing the problems
    Then you'll need to dig thorugh the preferences and options to slow down the download and upload rates so the clients don't rape your connection/bandwidth.

Also, nowadays, utorrent~bittorrent. I'm pretty sure bittorrent and utorrent struck a deal, so the clients are essentially the same thing.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited March 2008
    The "official" BitTorrent client and Azureus both work well for me.
    Post edited by Zeehat on