This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New MB, CPU and RAM

edited March 2008 in Technology
So I've currently got a DFI board and a AMD dual core 1.8. The DFI has caused my pretty much nothing but trouble (it's poor ACPI compliance is causing Vista SP1 to fail) and a I'm tired of dealing with it. I'm also trying to upgrade while paying as little of the "early adopter tax" so I don't really wanna buy anything too expensive or new.

So here's my plan

4 gig G. Skill DDR2 800

Abit IP35-E

Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8 1MB

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Get a Quad. If money is an issue, wait until you can afford one.
  • Get a Quad. If money is an issue, wait until you can afford one.
    I have no use for a quad, and I don't wanna buy a CPU that isn't all in one die.
  • Pick up this Motherboard and upgrade your RAM to DDR2 1066. Also, this is the best proc for your moneys now and it will last you a long, long time.
  • Pick up this Motherboardand upgrade your RAM to DDR2 1066. Also,this is the best proc for your moneysnow and it will last you a long, long time.
    That CPU is more than all the parts I selected combined. Any particular reason you recommend the Gigabyte board?
  • That CPU is more than all the parts I selected combined. Any particular reason you recommend the Gigabyte board?
    What do you want to use this computer for? It would help in selecting which parts would be best for you. Also, the mobo I selected takes DDR2 1066 memory as opposed to the DDR2 800 you had selected before for no loss in price. The Gigabyte I selected also works flawlessly with the new Intel 45nm chips out of the box.

FYI, if you are buying a new mobo, proc, and RAM, I would hardly consider this an upgrade. I would approach this as purchasing a new computer and look towards long term performance rather than penny pinch. I don't know what your budget is though.
  • I just want a better computer. My current computer has issues with Vista SP1 that aren't going to be resolved and I want more RAM (only have a gig) but don't wanna put anymore more in the DDR standard. My budget is small (sub $300) cause I've grown tired of literally setting money on fire via buying computer parts. Like that CPU, great and all, but I'll pick one up in a year or so when they're half the price or cheaper.
  • edited March 2008
    I just want a better computer.
    What's better? Better for gaming? Better for word processing? Better for web surfing? You might not even need to buy new hardware. What is specifically the issue you are having that is causing this change in computing?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I just want a better computer.
    What's better? Better for gaming? Better for word processing? Better for web surfing? You might not even need to buy new hardware. What is specifically the issue you are having that is causing this change in computing?
    Vista SP1 is flat out incompatible with my motherboard cause DFI has crappy ACPI support. I do a bit of gaming, a bit of anime, a bit of development, and web surfing. Basically I do a little bit of everything, only for gaming and development work, 1 gig is not so great these days. So what I really want is more RAM, but I don't wanna put more money in DDR cause the standard is dead and generally crappy. In order to move to DDR2, I need a new MB and CPU to with it.

Also I like upgrading my computer and it's been a long time since I seriously changed anything.
  • Also I like upgrading my computer and it's been a long time since I seriously changed anything.
    Then why are you only doing such a small upgrade? Sounds like you need a totally new computer. If you are just going to buy one within six months, then why waste your money on mediocre hardware now? If I were you, I would just go full out and buy a nice compy for around six to eight hundred. It's not hard and it would be better than just doing lots of small incremental upgrades that aren't really worth it.
  • You are saying two different things. You don't want to spend money, but you want to upgrade. Alright. It's a waste of money and time to do such a little upgrade. That's why I said save your money to do an upgrade worth the time and effort.
  • You are of course right, but I'm just getting frustrated with this computer. It's so god damn picky about it's RAM, overclocking is damn near impossible to keep sable because it's so picky, the ACPI doesn't work right, I'm about ready to throw it out a window. I suppose I'll just rummage around my house and try to find another board, my media PC should serve as a good donor.
  • Don't you have a job or some way of making some extra cash? Save a bit and you will be thankful.
  • Yeah, I'm just a cheap bastard is all. :p

Well thanks for talking me out of this, it's really not worth the money right now as you guys have pointed out.
  • If your problem is Vista SP1, the answer is obviously to spend $0 and switch to Ubuntu.
  • If your problem is Vista SP1, the answer is obviously to spend $0 and switch to Ubuntu.
    Even you must admit that the Ubuntu, while great, can not play the games so well.
    edited March 2008
    Even you must admit that the Ubuntu, while great, can not play the games so well.
    Nonsense! All GNU/Linux games work great on Ubuntu as well. It even manages to let you play Windows games!

EDIT: Why did you even bother getting Vista for that old machine?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited March 2008
    EDIT: Why did you even bother getting Vista for that old machine?
    Oh I didn't pay for, got a free license through my school. :)
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Oh I didn't pay for, got a free license through my school. :)
    I doubt they brought it to you. Anyways, just roll back to XP and your problems should be lesser I guess. It's not like you get an advantage in gaming by using Vista.
  • Oh I didn't pay for, got a free license through my school. :)
    I doubt they brought it to you. Anyways, just roll back to XP and your problems should be lesser I guess. It's not like you get an advantage in gaming by using Vista.
    Out of XP keys, They're being used my my media pc (anime + 57" HDTV = awesome) and my laptop (needed for work). I swapped my nForce 4 based MB from my media PC into my computer and tried to put Vista on it. Boy did that put me in a world of hurt. Rule one of Vista, don't install it on old hardware! I reconstructed my media pc and just left my dual core in it. I think I'll just go the last month of school without a desktop, really shouldn't be playing games anyway. Work hard, do well, and get a killer new rig to celebrate. :)
  • It's not like you get an advantage in gaming by using Vista.
    Well technically, no. Only Vista can run DirectX 10.
  • It's not like you get an advantage in gaming by using Vista.
    Well technically, no. Only Vista can run DirectX 10.
    I know, but take into account that there are few games that actually use DirectX 10, and take into account that the computer discussed does not sound like it's capable of running Crisis.