This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword DS

edited March 2008 in Technology
This game comes out tomorrow. It has potential, but I'm not sold on it. Someone buy it, then report back.

Comments

• The demo is pretty amazing. It makes me mad every time I beat it and the launch date says 'Fall 2007'. I haven't played much Ninja Gaiden on any other system, but doing the combos with the stylus works a lot better than one would think.
  • I'm probably going to get it.. ^_~
  • I'm sure Dave and Joel will be all over this one.
  • I will be buying it.
  • It's amazing. I'm on chapter 2, and I'm already thinking this is far better than Castlevania DS. The graphics are as photorealistic as is capable on the DS, and the stylus controls are completely intuitive. There are fun anime-ish cut-scenes and the development of a really great story. It took a while to get used to the play area being taller than it is wide, but what the hell.

The only complaint I can put forward right now is that the game relies on save points. I hate save points. I don't know why they continue to exist.

If anybody knows an easy way to screencap from the DS, let me know.
  • I just finished Chapter 3 and this game is very cool. It looks really good, sounds really good, and despite me having very little idea what I am doing I appear to be moving my ninja quite impressively. The story is bog standard but that's not a big deal with this sort of game. The thing that interested me is, and I hope this is not too much of a spoiler, it seemed like it very quickly jumped from regular world settings to spiritual plane combat. I was in a monastery... then all of a sudden the next level has me on a weird stone floating platform type thing. My ninja seemed to be as surprised as I was which made me feel better. I like to get to the alternate world/robotnik flying ship near the end of a game, not at the start. As I said I am only early in the game so maybe things settle back down to earth again.

With respect to the save points they have been really well placed so far to not make me too wild. But I can see if I get stuck on a boss for more than one turn I am going to resent having to fight that swarm before the boss over and over again.

I am curious about the online play and what it involves. Has anyone given it a go?
  • The demo is pretty amazing.
    It's why I'm buying it. That was some seriously awesome shit.
    I hate save points. I don't know why they continue to exist.
    On the contrary, if I can't save anywhere, anytime, I call that a gameplay flaw.
  • On the contrary, if I can't save anywhere, anytime, I call that a gameplay flaw.
    You can, its called closing the DS.