This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Broadway Shows

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Is there anyone else here who sees Broadway shows? I personally love live theater and I have seen many Broadway shows. The list includes:
  • The Phantom of the Opera (3 times) *
  • The Lion King (twice) *
  • Rent *
  • Monty Python's Spamalot *
  • The Producers *
  • West Side Story
  • 42nd Street
  • Beauty and the Beast *
  • Tarzan *
  • Thoroughly Modern Millie
  • The Wedding Singer
  • Avenue Q *
  • Cirque Dreams: Jungle Fantasy (this show is sort of stretching the title of Broadway show, but I included it anyway)
  • My Fair Lady
  • Hairspray *
  • Evita
  • Little Shop of Horrors *
  • Mamma Mia!
  • Little Women
  • The King and I
  • The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee *
  • Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat
  • Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
  • Oklahoma!
  • Wicked
... and possibly some others. What have you guys seen or want to see and what do you think of Broadway shows in general or the recent upswing of show to movie translations?

(* show which shows I particularly liked and enjoyed)

Comments

• edited March 2008
    I've only seen a couple Broadway shows.
    • Miss Saigon
    • Jekyll and Hyde
    • Footloose
    • The Producers
    • Lion King
    I'd like to see more, but its a bit of a trek into the city for me.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • My family has a subscription to the Hippodrome (in downtown Baltimore) so we see a lot of shows. I have only seen a hand full of shows actually in New York City.
  • I have seen Wicked twice. Once at the Bushnel in Hartford and once at the Gershwin in NYC.

We got lucky with the Gershwin and managed to get great seats for only $125 each. We bought the tickets months in advance (partly because the show is always sold out).
  • edited March 2008
    I've only seen 2...
    • The Producers
    • Phantom of the Opera
    There was another broadway show I saw, I forget it's name. It's been in Broadway for a very long time. It's a murder mystery with freudian and Jungian references.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • edited March 2008
    I love Broadway and have been going since I was very young. Some that I've seen are
    • Les Miz (once Original Run twice Revival)
    • Phantom
    • Inherit the Wind
    • Mary Poppins
    • Beauty and Beast
    • Lion King
    • Spamalot
    • Talk Radio
    • Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me
    • Peter Pan
    • Rent
    I there are some more and I'm most likely going to see Curtains this Saturday. Anyone else thinking a Front Row Crew Broadway meet-up (just kidding, mostly) .
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • edited March 2008
    Spamalot
    Les Miserables
    Phantom
    Cats
    Grease
    Spamalot

I know I've seen more, I forget.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2008
    Spamalot
    Little Shop of Horrors (5+ times!)
    Passing Strange (twice)
    Chicago
    The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
    The Lion King
    The Farnsworth Invention <3
    Talk Radio

I know that I have seen many more, but those are just the ones that come to mind. I suppose you could consider them my favorites, then.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Spamalot
    Passing Strange
    The Lion King
    Producers
    Hairspray
    The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Wicked
    Rabbit Holes
    Faith Healer
    Seafearer
    Is He Dead?

There are others.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2009
    In recent related news, West Side Story was revived after 25 years of moratorium and updated to a more contemporary style. I,for one,implore that everyone see this not just to see what was changed, but because it is a time honored and classic musical.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've only seen Spamalot, but it was fan-fucking-tastic. I'm not particularly interested in theater though, beyond maybe Macbeth if there's a good version of it somewhere (all the ones I've seen are utter shit).
  • I was in love with Broadway when I was young and could sing most anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber in particular.

Cats
    The Phantom of the Opera (4 times)
    Les Miserables
    Avenue Q
    Annie Get Your Gun

I have seen not so professional (but still rather good) performances of

Into the Woods
    Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat
    Thoroughly Modern Millie

And, of course, plenty of horrible performances that I, thankfully, have forgotten.
  • Beauty and the Beast
    The Producers
    In the Heights
    A Tale of Two Cities
    39 Steps (Highly Recommended. It's a parody of Hitchcock!)

Also, a little off-Broadway thing called Gutenberg: The Musical

I've really been taking advantage of student rush, but there are plenty of other ways to see a show for cheap. In particular, the real theater geek could try volunteer ushering. You pass out some programs, try to sell some refreshments, and clean up afterward, and you get a free show out of it.
  • To list them here would take too long.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    To list them here would take too long.
    Is it as long as Ryan's list was?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited May 2009
    To list them here would take too long.
    Is it as long as Li_Akihi's list was?
    Easily. I have a B.A. in Theatre, so beyond anything I have seen on my own, we went to NYC twice a semester and once per summer to see at least two Broadway shows and three Off-Broadway shows. We stayed in the cheapest hotels and often went to back-to-back performances (a matinee followed by an evening show). It was insanity.
    I also saw quite a few East End shows during my study abroad.
    I know theatre and music like Rym and Scott know computers.
    I haven't been to see anything on Broadway in years (owing to cost restrictions), but I can afford to enjoy local and touring productions.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Is it as long as Li_Akihi's list was?
    Since that post I have seen at least 6 other shows.
  • I just saw Spring Awakening this Sunday. That was a heavy show, it made Rent look like a zany comedy, I mean, the sheer amount of topics it covered was astounding and the alt-rock musical stylings were fantastic. I can definitely see why it won the best musical at the Tonys that year.
  • I met the guy who wrote the music. He came to my Soundtrack class.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    One of my favorite Broadway plays is being revived! Fuck school, there is no way I am missing this!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Cats
    Phantom of the Opera
    Les Miserables
    The Color Purple
    Rent
    Avenue Q
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Scarlet Pimpernel
    The King and I
    Mama Mia!
    Jekyll & Hyde

I dunno if that's it. I've seen a lot over my lifetime.

I also saw a very-off-Broadway performance of Cabaret, which I liked very much.
  • I just saw Spring Awakening this Sunday. That was a heavy show, it made Rent look like a zany comedy, I mean, the sheer amount of topics it covered was astounding and the alt-rock musical stylings were fantastic. I can definitely see why it won the best musical at the Tonys that year.
    Well, Rent is the MTV version of 90's tragedies, so that isn't saying much.
    I do want to see Spring Awakening, but I just can't justify the cost for travel/tickets and I missed the touring show last year.
  • Well, Rent is the MTV version of 90's tragedies, so that isn't saying much.
    Rent never fails to make me cry in the second act.
  • Whether there are better productions out there or not, I will always love Rent.
  • I can't stand Rent and never could. To each his/her own, it just always felt too manufactured, poppy and false to me.
  • I can't stand Rent and never could. To each his/her own, it just always felt too manufactured, poppy and false to me.
    Does that mean you don't like La bohème either, or do you like it but don't like the setting it is put in.
  • Over the summer I saw West Side Story with a few friends. It really was better than the movie version.
  • edited October 2009
    Big shows I have seen on Broadway/Toronto theater district: (This is not counting a ton of random little off Broadway plays I went to over the years. They are usually cheaper and more interesting than the big budget long running extravaganzas in Midtown.)

The Music Man
    Avenue Q
    Urine Town
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
    Macbeth (Soviet Patric Stuart version)
    Phantom of the Opera (Toronto)
    Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat (Toronto)
    Les Miserables (Toronto)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    I got a blog and wrote a review on the West Side Story performance I saw today. Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I would like to hear from you guys how I should improve upon my blog as I'm new to this blogging.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Rock of Ages is Mamma Mia! for people with testosterone.
  • I enjoy broadway shows but not enough to actually go often. When I do go, we are usually going to see something b/c my wife wants to. Notable exceptions would be The Producers, and Toxic Avenger: The Musical. Has anyone else seen this? I almost died laughing at this show it was so great. I have heard it was on par with Evil Dead: The Musical, and was really sad to have missed that one. Unfortunately, Toxic Avenger wrapped up earlier this year or I would beg you all to go.

Aside from those, I've taken my wife to see a decent amount of shows:
    - The Glass Menagerie
    - Grease
    - West Side Story
    - Bye Bye Birdie
    - Movin' Out (the touring version in Atlantic City, at Harrah's)

Really wish we had seen Spamalot while it was around but just never got the chance. The original cast looked downright amazing, but unfortunately when it opened I was still a senior in college, 3 hours from the city, and had just thrown every cent I had on a ring, so broadway tickets were not enough of a priority to warrant the cost.