This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Neverending Story

GeoGeo
edited March 2008 in Everything Else
What is your opinion on the classic (at least I think it is) fantasy movie The Neverending Story? Do you think it should have a little more notoriety by the mass public? Do you agree that every sequel to it is a piece of shit?

Comments

• The last time I saw The Neverending Story was when I was in the fourth grade. I thought it was complete and total shit even as a child, so I am very hesitant to ever watch it or it's (at the time) seemingly never ending sequels that followed.
  • I watched the first one as a child and thought it was ok.
  • I watched that movie as a kid and all I can remember is some weird dragon and there is a betrayal of some sort. Little of it as I can remember I'm pretty sure that I didn't like it. In response to your questions, I don't see any reason for notoriety, and have never watched any of the sequels, so I will not render judgement.
  • I like the first one and I must say it was kind of scary when I was 10.
  • Go Falcor, yeah! Who doesn't love pink dragons? That was some awesome 80s movie music.
  • The movie was fun and the sequels I haven't seen because I have never heard a single decent thing about them. The book was really good though. I've heard people say that it drags on, and so it deserves the name "Neverending", but I didn't have that experience. It was always moving and something different kept on happening. So read the book, and then watch the movie if you must, but not any of the sequels.
  • FAAAAAALCOOOOOOOR!

Given the technology of the time and its budget, this was an incredible movie. It wasn't a fluffy fairy tale, either; it had the guts to be dark.
  • edited March 2008
    I thought there were only two? Am I mistaken? And the second one had the acid lake and the stupid bird and the wishing for more stairs?

Man, when I was a little kid I thought Atreyu was the coolest boy ever. It was kind of a proto-crush. (Of course, this is the girl who, as an elementary school kid, had an obsession with Luke Skywalker.) I had a dog hand puppet that looked like Falcor, so I remember there being a good deal of Never Ending Story related plays. An I remember the laser-eye sphinx scaring the bejeezus out of me. Oh t3h nostalgia~!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • That scene with Artex sinking the swamp kills me, every time.
  • I know, right? I loved horses as a kid (and still do) so I was always like Nuoooooo!
  • It's funny watching movies you loved as a kid and seeing whether they still stack up. Neverending Story is mostly pretty good. So is The Goonies. Willow, except for the first scenes with Val Kilmer, is a load of shit.
  • Willow, except for the first scenes with Val Kilmer, is a load of shit.
    What? This is madness! Sure, its not the pinnacle of art for the silver screen (some of the dialogue is a little wooden) but it's a good ol' fantasy movie, the meat and potatoes of the genre. Plus, Mad Mordigan x Sorcia = The Hotness! ("I don't love her, she kicked me in the face!")
  • What? This is madness! Sure, its not the pinnacle of art for the silver screen (some of the dialogue is a little wooden) but it's a good ol' fantasy movie, the meat and potatoes of the genre. Plus, Mad Mordigan x Sorcia = The Hotness! ("I don't love her, she kicked me in the face!")
    Willow was sort of meh for me. It wasn't anything spectacular or amazing, it was just "another" fantasy movie. It didn't have anything different that others don't have.
  • lcor, yeah! Who doesn't love pink drago
    um, Falkor wasn't pink. He was white.
    Although he is white, his pearly skin does look very pink in some scenes.

Willow, except for the first scenes with Val Kilmer, is a load of shit.
    I disagree. Willow is just good clean fun for me. I can understand where you come from though.
    Although he is white, his pearly skin does look very pink in some scenes.

True dat