This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080326 - Night Wizard, Legendary Gambler Tetsuya

RymRym
edited March 2008 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Night Wizard and Legendary Gambler Tetsuya. In the news, anime is coming to America zero-day, we talk a long while about the issues at Anime Boston, and Scott GeekBites Green Lantern Rebirth.

Scott's Thing - Bitstrips (forum thread)
Rym's Thing - Uninstall

Comments

• edited March 2008
    In Jackie's defense she was put in the registration position in December because the previous registration head stepped down. Other than that I was at the con and I didn't wait more than 20 minutes, but that's a story for another day ^^

For the record they had 5 machines to start with then they increased it to 9, and I agree with the inadequacy of that amount.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • RymRym
    edited March 2008
    In Jackie's defense she was put in the registration position in December because the previous registration head stepped down.
    This seems to happen more often than it should with convention staff. My guess as to why has a lot to do with how staff are selected. Every con I've ever staffed had effectively three classes of staffers:

1. Normal Staff - 70%
    Average staffers doing an average job. Perfectly competent, but won't ad-lib and usually lack the experience to handle extreme situations. These people are the backbone of fan convention staff.

2. Super Staff - 15%
    These are usually, but not by any means always, the high-level staff. These are the people who don't just do their jobs competently, but do them professionally. Nick and Jim from Katsucon and Otakon are perfect examples. When disaster strikes, the super staffers are the ones who step up, come up with a clever work-around, and get the congoers and other staffers on board with it. They can usually be identified by their largely invisible status during the convention itself, only to suddenly appear whenever there's trouble, solution in hand.

3. "Those" Staff - 15%
    These people are staff only because:
    1. They are friends (at least nominally) with other staff
    2. No one has the guts to tell them they're incompetant
    Every con has these people. They end up on the staff at some point, but are generally unreliable. It's awkward to ask someone who's already staffed not to come back, so most people avoid doing so. This provides a shield for these people who, due to their immunity, will eventually rise to high-level positions. Once confronted with actual, important responsibility, they'll fail epically, usually resigning a few weeks before the con.

Now, I'm not saying that the person who was supposed to be running registration is one of these people: complications can arise beyond a person's control. I'm simply noting that, as I said before, EVERY convention, fan club, etc. I've ever worked with has had these people. They are ticking time bombs.

Edit: No, I will not be naming any of the time bombs I've encountered along the way, so don't even ask. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2008
    Easy way to identify super staff. When normal staff have problems, their only course of action is to try to find the relevant super staff. Usually they will be shouting their names down the hallways, or calling them on the radio. Also, if you ask a normal staffer a hard question, their answer will be the name of a super staffer.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Honestly, you're not going to get much from Green Lantern Rebirth if you're not already something of a fan.

Besides, the Sinestro Corps is where its at - mainly because Senestro (the guy with the yellow power ring) proves himself smarter than the vast majority of DC villains and actually recruits a lot of fairly powerful villains around the universe that DC heroes kind of forgot about.

I do find it amusing that Rym and Frank Miller have almost the same approach to dealing with the Green Lantern: All Star Batman and Robin #9.
  • Honestly, you're not going to get much from Green Lantern Rebirth if you're not already something of a fan.
    Hence the biggest problem in the superhero comic industry today.
  • PAX sends you badges in the mail. You don't get your name on them, so you can give your badge to some random person if you choose not to go all three days. I think that's pretty cool.

Besides, the Sinestro Corps is where its at - mainly because Senestro (the guy with the yellow power ring) proves himself smarter than the vast majority of DC villains and actually recruits a lot of fairly powerful villains around the universe that DC heroes kind of forgot about.

I do find it amusing that Rym and Frank Miller have almost the same approach to dealing with the Green Lantern:All Star Batman and Robin #9.
    I totally agree... It's more or less about Hal's redemption (hence Rebirth). Not knowing the fall of the character really does take a lot out.

Radical example... but say Martin Luther King goes nuts and becomes evil and tries to take over the world!!! MKL then had a change of heart and disappears for many years. He wants to make a comeback, and your his PR rep. It's logical that you are gonna play "I have a dream" a billion time just so the message is pounded onto the peeps, can't do it in a subtle way. Some punk kid who wasn't there and just sees the new RP swamp of "I have a dream" is gonna find it annoying as hell. Geoff Johns needed to whack the readers over the head with the whole willpower bit.

I like how they turned something as ridiculous as a weakness of yellow into something that makes sense; should have been done ages ago. Hal Jordan is a top tier character in the DCU, his return better raise the Spockian eyebrow of Batman and Superman.

Thats my attempt at justifying the book. It's more of a corrective measure and a base being set for future books Geoff Johns has set up for his Lantern trilogy (yes Sinestro Corps was much more entertaining than this and I'm confident that when Blackest Nights drops, it's going to be better than that). Fans want to see Hal put back up there as the 4th/5th (depends on Flash) top ranking character in the DCU and I definitely think this was a successful attempt to revive the character. Heck for one thing it beats Spider-man's magically history washing...

Also I totally thought of the yellow lemon-aid room also when Rym went on about the yellow oval. I know its a horrible read, but this is the only book I pick up just for the art.
  • Wait, isn't Zenigata named after Zenigata Heiji, a fictional policeman who used coins (zeni) to catch crooks and n'er-do-wells?
  • Wait, isn't Zenigata named after Zenigata Heiji, a fictional policeman who used coins (zeni) to catch crooks and n'er-do-wells?
    Yes.
  • edited March 2008
    I'm bored, what 100 shows should I watch before Night Wizard. Seriously, we're finishing Shigofumi this week (which you all should buy by the way and I've only bought 5 series in my life) and we have nothing to watch now.

And Night Wizard, while setup like a harem, there really isn't much harem stuff. It's more of a "friendship conquers all," monster of the week show, but funny.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • we're finishing Shigofumi this week
    GRF#&%@^&;@#! Ep 5 only got subbed today! At least, by the fansubbers I picked. *is picky and loyal*

Anyways, yes, come with the list of 100 Rym.
  • we're finishing Shigofumi this week
    GRF#&%@^&;@#! Ep 5 only got subbed today! At least, by the fansubbers I picked. *is picky and loyal*.
    I'm not even watching the fastest group, damn man. I'm trying hard to be loyal and wait for my usual group, but damn I really wanna see the end. I feel for you man, 6, 7, and 8 are amazing episodes. But just to place for the rest of you, how great this show is.

Series I've bought:
    Bebop
    Escaflowne
    Trigun
    Outlaw Star
    Hellsing (though I probably wouldn't again)
    Initial D (I'm a car nut)

Shows I'm going to buy:
    Baccano (why has no one licensed this yet?!?)
    Shigofumi (waiting to preorder it on Amazon)
    Haruhi (have the first DVD, just haven't gotten around to getting the rest yet)

Of course you're wondering, "sure it's good, but it's not as good as Bebop." If it ends well (I reserve judgement til I've seen it) it's the closest anything has ever come to that level for greatness.
  • I'm not even watching the fastest group, damn man. I'm trying hard to be loyal and wait for my usual group, but damn I really wanna see the end. I feel for you man, 6, 7, and 8 are amazing episodes. But just to place for the rest of you, how great this show is.
    Yeah, Menclave stopped releasing for a while, hopefully they'll pick up some steam again in releasing. I have to say it's the best fansub I've seen. FTPA have an annoying/boring font imho.
  • I didn't care for FTPA either, I watch w.0.0.f.
  • I didn't care for FTPA either, I watch w.0.0.f.
    Thought so, seeing as they're one ep from the end. Sadly they started at episode 4 or 5. Oh, I do have to say, I HATE THE OPENING SONG! *shoots ALI PROJECT* They use the same melody in some parts as with the Rozen Maiden opener(s). Somehow that seems to annoy me a lot. It's not a darkish, insane anime thus far. The opening animation is neat though. Especially the part where the camera scrolls over that gun~ Neat gun!
  • edited March 2008
    Thought so, seeing as they're one ep from the end. Sadly they started at episode 4 or 5.
    m.3.3.w did the first three and then the show was licensed so they "dropped it." ;)
    Oh, I do have to say, I HATE THE OPENING SONG! *shoots ALI PROJECT*
    I hated it, but I now it's grown on me a little. It took 10 episodes before I didn't hate it. You'll hate it til near the end to when suddenly you'll watch it and go "oh, oooooooh, oh shit."
    It's not a darkish, insane anime thus far.
    You need to watch episode 6.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Youneedto watch episode 6.
    "Cry". Hrm, yeah, great to put an hilarious episode for the apparently story development. Chiaki is win!

SPOILER QUOTE FROM SHOW! Select to see~
    Chiaki: "Yeah, that's right. Unlike you, I'll always be blessed with youth."
    Fumika: "In other words, you're going to be eternally undeveloped."
    Chiaki: "Like you can talk!"
    Fumika: "I'll have a nice body in five years."

End spoiler quote.
  • Chiaki is win!
    She's my favorite character. She gets a whole episode (effectively), eps 9. I almost cried, such a good eps.
  • Am I the only one who likes the FTP fansub of this show? Anyway after the episode 11 I am yearning for 12! I'm downloading it right now!

I'm a Chiyaki fan as well but I still love Fumi.

@Myself: The OP is win!
    edited March 2008
    Am I the only one who likes the FTP fansub of this show?
    Yes, I don't like their translation. I now also prefer 'Chiaki' over 'Chiyaki'. Say, how is the name of the cat in ep 5 translated by FTPA and Woof respectively? Also Schrödinger?
    @Myself: The OP is win!
    If you too do not count the song, agreed.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited March 2008
    I am an ALI Project fan, and I do not like the Shigofumi song much either. I was so disappointed when I finally heard it. Before that, I believed ALI Project was an an upward swing in creativity, thanks to the releases of their singles for Kamichama Karin and Princess Resurrection, as well as the OST for Princess Resurrection. Now they're just back to copying their first two Rozen Maiden songs, same as they've been doing with every other single got damn song they've put out since Rozen Maiden (except the ones I just mentioned). URGH. ><
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited March 2008
    Also Schrödinger?
    Yeah, I LOLed pretty loud when I saw that.
  • So I was at Anime Boston for Saturday only, and here was what I saw.

The line on Saturday wasn't that bad in length, but I got into line pretty early and it was pretty short for me. It still moved fairly slow with the self-service part of the check-in, especially compared to last year where I had a much longer length of line to wait in but still got done sooner.

The AMVs weren't as good as last year when we got Hold Me Now, Red September, and Conter les Heures.

At the concert I have to say that first, the video they showed us while they were still seating people was really awesome. If you haven't seen Dead Fantasy and Dead Fantasy II go and ask Google about it. The Pillows were awesome, and Love and Response was relativly non-painful.
  • We still want our list of 100 animes.
  • Most of you have seen Rym's thing of the day this episode aired (if not go watch it, again if you already have). I too saw it and found it amazing, made me watch Bokurano. Which I then finished before Shigofumi. Anyways, after enjoying the OST for numerous times, and mostly the opening theme I thought 'Hey, why not grab the piano version from that vid.' and so I did. And why not share it then? So here you have the opening theme to Bokurano, Uninstall on the piano. I encoded it in a 160 kbps .ogg file to preserve all of the available information.

Also, where's that list with 100 anime? A month should be long enough to make it, no?
  • edited April 2008
    I listened to the regular song and I liked the piano version a lot more. Thanks

And where's our list of 100 animes?