This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Requirements to be God

edited April 2008 in Flamewars
What is necessary and sufficient to be God? Is it sufficient to be able to violate the laws of physics at will? Or is this merely necessary?

In other words, what characteristics would an entity need to have to be considered a God?

Comments

• Being able to be in all places at all times.
  • edited April 2008
    My name is
    Ozymandias,
    king of kings:
    Look on my works,
    ye mighty,
    and despair!
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • edited April 2008
    In other words, what characteristics would an entityneedto have to be considered a God?
    It must be omnipotent and all being. Everywhere at once and nowhere at the same time. The idea of god is quite contradictory at times. Good question.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Three o-words: omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent.
    That depends on what kind of god we're talking about. Most deities had none of those characteristics. They were just uber-powerful. So far as I know, only the gods of the big three monotheistic religions have the omni-characteristics, with the Christian god having the additional 'omnibenevolance' trait thrown in.
    That depends on what kind of god we're talking about. Most deities had none of those characteristics. They were just uber-powerful. So far as I know, only the gods of the big three monotheistic religions have the omni-characteristics, with the Christian god having the additional 'omnibenevolance' trait thrown in.
    The question was posed as God, not god. That's why I gave the answer the way I did.
  • So far as I know, only the gods of the big three monotheistic religions have the omni-characteristics, with the Christian god having the additional 'omnibenevolance' trait thrown in.
    I'm pretty sure they all have the same god.
  • Also, once you become God you need to get a proper mailing address. Those 'middle-men' I see preaching on TV look like they take a sizable cut of the money being given to you.
  • In other words, what characteristics would an entityneedto have to be considered a God?
    The underlined part threw me off.
  • Fine, how about (a) god then? I think that's a more interesting question anyway.
  • Also, it is all knowing.
  • That's the definition of omniscience.
  • If you are talking about something being a lowercase god, then it is all relative. As far as ants are concerned, rats are gods. As far as rats are concerned, humans are gods.
  • As far as ants are concerned, rats are gods. As far as rats are concerned, humans are gods.
    As far as geeks are concerned, Geeknights is god. At least god-worthy anyways.
  • Magic all the time.
  • My name is
    Ozymandias,
    king of kings:
    Look on my works,
    ye mighty,
    and despair!
    I don't think this reference applies. Like, at all.
  • Be her.
  • Be her.
    Now , she is crazy :P
  • Be her.
    Haruhiism.
    I don't think this reference applies. Like, at all.
    Possibly, but it's so fucking good.
  • Be her.
    GAH! SPOILERS!
    Now , she is crazy :P
    *hits you with a frying pan*
    Haruhiism.
    >_> image
  • To be a god, you need someone to be worshiped. (note: not adored as most pop-idols, but actually worshiped).
    At least that seems to be the Criteria.
  • To be a god, you need someone to be worshiped. (note: not adored as most pop-idols, but actually worshiped).
    At least that seems to be the Criteria.
    On that note, what if you worshiped yourself? Pray at a little statue made of you, make blood offers, etc...
  • To be serious about the question the three O's mentioned as well as extreme powers to destroy or heal. It helps to not be invisible and away but among the masses. People will believe what they see and build great monuments and temples to you and worship you like a Queen. Plus immortality.
    Have you seen those T-shirts the churchy types sometimes wear with the slogan "Our God is an awesome God"? They also have a song by the same title. I've always said, "Well, I would hope that a God would AT LEAST be awesome. That should be the absolute minimum requirement."
  • Haruhiism.
    >_> image

I was about to say "only if you are a pedophile", but if you still underage I guess is ok :P
  • In the name of the alien, the esper, and the time traveler. All hail Haruhi!