This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I need to stop commenting on blogs

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I was reading a blog post earlier today where the blogger posted a You-Tube video of him picking a winner for a contest ($25). Right above the embedded video he wrote words to the effect of: "I don't know why more bloggers don't post live videos of their contest draws. I guess they like to do it when no one is looking and award the prizes to their friends."

In the comments I pointed out that unless you are streaming the video live with a large audience even your video could be the third or fourth take and you could also be fixing the results.

I was immediately jumped on by many blog readers for trashing the guy by suggesting he was rigging the contest. Only one person in the group caught on to the point I was trying to make (if its not live it could be rigged) while the others all piled on me for suggesting the contest could have been rigged. Even after pointing out that I was specifically addressing his own words about live drawings!

I think I need to take "Tact 101" or something because even when I tried to explain my position in later comments I was still being blasted for calling the contest rigged.

Comments

• Your mistake is thinking that people read.
  • edited April 2008
    Your mistake is thinking that people read.
    To elaborate, your mistake was thinking that because you are a reasonable and intelligent person, other people are too; and that such people exist, in number, on the internet.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited April 2008
    More than their lack of reading, this problem is cause by people's need to be outraged. They have this stock pile of emotional energy that they don't expend or express in healthy ways, so they become utter assholes on the internet.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • "People seem to think that by posting in threads and agreeing with other people they are changing the world. They are not. They are posting in threads online. The universe will not be altered by forum threads, even those which are very wry. Being outraged online is a form of entertainment, and refreshing a thread to receive a hit of consensus packs the thrill of genuine activism without requiring any sweat. I'm afraid this test may require more from the community than a sardonic jpeg." - Jerry Holkins (Tycho)

Replace forum threads with blog comments and it still remains true.