This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080402 - Gatekeepers

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the events surrounding Gatekeepers, which was a more important show than you may realize, but not for the reasons you would expect. In the news, Otakon gets JAM Project, a Madhouse opener, and an Artist's Alley. Instead of news, Scott tries something new.

Scott's Thing - Quis custodiet ipsos peanuts?
Rym's Thing - Teen Girl Adolescence

Comments

• edited April 2008
    That anime is surprisingly full of historical facts wish there was more thrown into the show although.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • Naruto was my Gatekeepers.
  • Have the Gatekeepers 21, an update of Gatekeepers. Animation was good and the villians were cool looking. But for some reason its was still kind of flat, just seemed to be missing something. I have two redos of old anime, Mermaid Forest and Guyver and both of these have great animation but have the same problem. I don't know if its the voice actors performnace, the dubb itself as a whole or just that you cannot recapture the same feel of the original. Anyone else experience the same thing with redos?
  • I tried one DVD of Gatekeepers and never watched it again. It looked like a series I would be way into. Alas, fuck no.
  • Can someone post a link the the website Scott is talking about? I can't seem to catch what he is saying.
  • Can someone post a link the the website Scott is talking about? I can't seem to catch what he is saying.
    Can you be more specific? I talk about a lot of websites.
  • I just had an idea for the Scott's Box bit. Instead of talking about the box he just got in the mail, talk about the box Scott is going to get. From what Scott has said about the website he orders from (I haven't seen it yet so I'm not totally sure how it works), one only gets the discount from pre-ordering. If Scott talks about the order he placed instead of the box he received, his description might give me an idea of something I would like to order.
    Can you be more specific? I talk about a lot of websites.
    The website you order your comics from at massive discount.
  • I just had an idea for the Scott's Box bit. Instead of talking about the box he just got in the mail, talk about the box Scott is going to get. From what Scott has said about the website he orders from (I haven't seen it yet so I'm not totally sure how it works), one only gets the discount from pre-ordering. If Scott talks about the order he placed instead of the box he received, his description might give me an idea of something I would like to order.
    I thought about doing that. I might try it in a week or two.

I assume the website you are asking for is DCBService.com?
  • DCBService.com
    Yup, that's it. I thought you were saying tsomethingsomethingsomething. ^^

Thank you
  • edited April 2008
    While I use DCBService, there are other competing mail order comics services you might find better. Heroes Corner is a new popular one that has similar discount levels, but I've never tried them.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2008
    Gate keepers, the manga pissed me off as Tokyopop never got past volume 2 of that (it was a hell of a cliffhanger too) and the anime proper was never released here so, really, fuck Geneon's bony corpse on that one.

Also, if it wasn't for that goddamn call sign, I think this would of shown up on Toonami no problem.

And, yes, thanks for reminding me that ADV fail at releasing Gurren Lagann, it's appreciated.
    They say they're not going to be Geneon # 2 but come on, we need Kiba like a we need a kick in the balls (or a punching in the boobs, which, I'm told on good authority, is the female likening of such actions).
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • My city's comic shop now has a sign up saying all US comics cost twice the $USD price in Australian dollars. Considering the aussie dollar is now about 91 US cents, I can't believe they're still in business. I expect these shops to keep going out of business unless they realise the internet exists.
  • My city's comic shop now has a sign up saying all US comics cost twice the $USD price in Australian dollars.
    Have you tried going to the bank and exchanging your AUS dollars for US dollars and then buying the comics?
  • Haha, that's gold. I would but I only buy TPBs these days, if at all.
  • Scott's box was a pretty cool segment, actually. I say keep it around.
  • Death Note How to Read 13 is quite the high quality. It will take you a while to read it and it is quite full of information that you really did not need to know, but it is very worth the read.
  • I listened to this episode on the train today and I think that the trial run Scott's Box bit is worth keeping around. If nothing else, it hipped me to the fact that a couple of things I am interested in, but spaced on the street dates, are now available for the getting and enjoying. Seems like a reasonable addition to the Wednesday night show, even if it is just monthly.
  • In a couple of weeks I'm going to try the same thing, only with the order form instead of the box. It's tough because I can either talk about the comics two months (or sometimes more) before they come out, or talk about them at the end of the month in which they come out.
  • I personally liked that you talked about the current box since it was all stuff in the here and now. Reminds me that I should walk over to the local comic shop and do a little procuring. So I would throw my preference towards the current box rather than future box option, but both are certainly worth trying.
  • Cool to hear about you being at Anime Boston next year. I look forward to meeting you two.
  • Oh, 2 new names for the box feature - "GeekBox" or, in the tone that the guards in MGS use, "What's in the box?"
  • while listening to the show I realised...gatekeepers was one of the anime that my cousin showed me which got me started watching subtitled anime. It was Gatekeepers and the Escaflowne movie that I watched with him. Before that I had watched the UK sci-fi channel anime selection*, and watching all of the stuff like Tenchi, Sailor Moon, DBZ which came on Television.

It wasn't until later that I actually got to watching anime again - because until university all I had was a 56k modem. (and that was 2004!)

*It did include some cool anime I watched GitS & Akira for the first time there and another show I just realised I need to find "Dominion Tank Police". unfortunately it also introduced my then teenager brain to Legend of the Overfiend.