This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Marriage proposal as patent application

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/05/marriage-proposal-as.html

Ryan Thomas Grace of Omaha filed this patent application with the USPTO as a means of proposing to his girlfriend:
The purpose of this invention is to provide an improved method of proposing marriage to an individual. The method of proposing to an individual generally comprising the steps of meeting the individual; exchanging names with the individual; dating the individual (not necessary); drafting a government document having a proposal to marry the individual incorporated therein; and showing the government document to the individual. The government document may be a patent application. The patent application may claim the method by which the proposor will make a marriage proposal to the individual. The proposor could then use the method claimed in the patent application to propose to the individual. The patent application could be the actual marriage proposal.
If this goes through, can we safely say the patent system is broken now?

Comments

• If this goes through, can we safely say the patent system is broken now?
    Most definitely, this has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever had the misfortune to read and if it were to get passed the shred of faith I have left in humanity would be gone forever.
  • If this goes through
    Let's not get too bent out of shape until and unless this happens.
  • Learnz to makes linx, plz. Kthxbai.
  • If this goes through, can we safely say the patent system is broken now?
    Most definitely, this has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever had the misfortune to read and if it were to get passed the shred of faith I have left in humanity would be gone forever.
    Personally, I think it's a clever way to propose if you happen to be dating a patent lawyer. However, if this is granted consideration and a hearing from the patent office, I'll be right behind you.
  • So, does this mean marriage is coming to and end because no one will be able to propose without infringing on this patent?