This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Video Coming Soon...

Comments

• edited April 2008
    If Final Cut Pro is for "Pros," Avid is one step up from that. Avid workstations (we had some at school) are often used by Hollywood editors and the like. I was just saying that before you get the Ferrari of video editing software, you need to know how to drive first.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Heh... We don't even use the Ferrari of AUDIO, let alone video. ^_~
  • My experience with FCP is that it's definitely not intuitive. A fade in/out takes at least 15 steps. If you're just doing simple edits go with Premiere or even iMovie if you already have it.
  • What's exactly wrong with the open source video editing tools?
  • edited April 2008
    What's exactly wrong with the open source video editing tools?
    This reminds me of all the people who ask me "Why do you use Maya when you can use Blender?" And I take a deep breath and count to ten, because I know that they are merely innocent.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I think I will have to use some demos.
    edited April 2008
    What's exactly wrong with the open source video editing tools?
    This reminds me of all the people who ask me "Why do you use Maya when you can use Blender?" And I take a deep breath and count to ten, because I know that they are merely innocent.
    That I already heard, but WHY exactly? I mean, you don't need fancy stuff for Youtube videos. Cut and paste, a way to put text on the screen and fade. And perhaps a voice over layer.

Or am I just completely missing the point and does every person in the world need over 9000 different transition effect, stock sounds and fancy fonts with their video editing app?
    I think I will have to use some demos.
    Oh yes... demo's. God, sometimes smart ideas take time to come up with. Good luck Scott.

Oh also, what ton of equipment did you guys need besides a video camera? A weight for moving stability? A string for stable static images?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited April 2008
    That I already heard, but WHY exactly? I mean, you don't need fancy stuff for Youtube videos. Cut and paste, a way to put text on the screen and fade. And perhaps a voice over layer.

Or am I just completely missing the point and does every person in the world need over 9000 different transition effect, stock sounds and fancy fonts with their video editing app?
    There are features besides transition effects, stock sounds and fancy fonts that you do not know about or understand because you are not a professional.

Imagine you wanted to make a piece of furniture. Being an amateur furniture maker, you only use a hammer, a drill, a screwdriver, and a saw. You then make a piece of furniture that's ok. Not professional, but ok.

Then you go to a professional furniture maker. He has a bajillion tools. Most of the tools you have never seen before in your life. You don't know what they do, or how they work. You wouldn't know how to use them if someone gave them to you. You definitely wouldn't know the subtle tricks to using them that would allow you to make furniture much more quickly and efficiently.

In other words, you are not a professional, so you do not understand professional tools.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2008
    I know this might sound a bit low brow, but unless you're releasing super high quality near HD video, you might want to consider trying Windows Movie Maker 2. Its not the BEST video editor out there, but its pretty good fore being free. I use it for all my videos and they all come out pretty good.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited April 2008
    What are you going to be doing though? If you're just going to do fade in, fade out, cut to image etc. then you probably don't even need FCP and could probably use the video editing software that comes free with windows. I've never done too much video editing and I'm not sure what you're aiming for, fancy graphics at the bottom rather than floating, flat text or picture in picture of an anime as you review it etc.

Adobe Premier is simple and is easy to learn from what I've read and it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new machine for the sole purpose of Final Cut Pro. Have you ever looked into running OSX on a PC with some hackery?

Or even this alternative.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • There are features besides transition effects, stock sounds and fancy fonts that you do not know about or understand because you are not a professional.
    Neither are you, yet you insist you need to have the super professional programs. And that still doesn't answer my question. What is wrong with the free tools? Why do they suck? What crazy stuff does one need to make video that are not available in open source applications.
  • That I already heard, but WHY exactly?
    They barely work. They're slow. They can't multi-track or deal with audio properly. They crash. The best OSS video editor is worse than some of the worst OSS audio editors.
  • Neither are you, yet you insist you need to have the super professional programs. And that still doesn't answer my question. What is wrong with the free tools? Why do they suck? What crazy stuff does one need to make video that are not available in open source applications.
    You go find an open source video editing program that doesn't suck and bring it back here.
  • We need to be able to sync and edit multiple simultaneous audio tracks in concert with the video. We need to be able to record additional audio for ADR. We need to be able to manage on-screen numerous shot inserts. We need to be able to import and export all of the formats we might use.
  • edited April 2008
    Well, I think Windows movie maker is out of the question then, since the only thing it can do semi-well (maybe) is ADR.

All I can say is download the free trial of Adobe Premiere first, if it's not good enough then Final Cut Pro is your only feasible option left.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Neither are you, yet you insist you need to have the super professional programs.
    I am. Take it from me, if the open source did all I needed in an editing suite I would be a happy happy girl. But it doesn't. Now I haven't experimented with all the open source software. It's kind of like the GIMP not having CMYK support. It varies from program to program but trust me when I say I would not edit a short using the currently available open source. However, CELTX just saved me from buying first draft. Which is good. I am not saying that there is no hope for open source 3D or video editing programs, just that they lack the features and functions someone like me needs. I don't think Scott and Co. need Avid, but at the same time, the open source isn't quite there yet.
  • edited April 2008
    There is also the "pro-user" version of FCP. That is Final Cut Express. Chances are it will do most (if not all) of what you are going to do over the next couple years. Plus it has the added benefit of A)costing $200 (possibly less if one of your companies have an EPP with Apple), B) having a substantially smaller hardware requirement and C) having a similar framework to the full FCP suite, so anything you learn in it's interface would be transitional.

I'd take full advantage of apple stores though. You can play around with the diffrent (apple) versions and see if it will fit your needs. Heck, being in Manhattan even gives you access to the SoHo apple store which has a really good theater training area. If you're free on (it currently looks thursdays) from 4-5 they have training on FCP Express. And to boot, it's followed by FCP workshop as well so you can compare the differences between then. Granted that's two hours total, but little research goes a long way. (Plus that store has the comfy theater seats for their workshops.)
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • Final Cut Express
    I recommended that to Scott. I'ved used it quite a bit, along with FCP. It's good.
  • Additionally (as I've now listening to last nights episode) Final Cut Express has an educator pricing as well. I think it's like $30 off.
  • Honestly, for YouTube, all you need is Windows Movie Maker. That's what I use for my tech videos. Sure, it sucks, but it's free.
  • Final Cut Pro is fucking sweet, and badass, and bitchin'. You don't need AVID.
  • edited April 2008
    I definitely recommend FCP, but any of the professional editors people have brought up work.
    If you're going to use a professional editor, then you should use it to produce professional quality video. If you're going to do that (and the content is something other than a giant talking head), Youtube is not your best option for distribution. While Youtube offers very good exposure, many sites offer better quality. I would say you should produce a high-quality video, post it to a high-quality site or even make an RSS feed, and there's no reason you can't squeeze it down Youtube's skinny pipes as well. If you're using a professional program, aim higher than Youtube for viewing quality. That being said, I eagerly await your video foray.
    Post edited by spotdart on
  • edited April 2008
    Looking for a video editor? Try Blender. It's a cross-platform video editor and 3D animation rendering software bundled into one, and it's FREE!

You will require some tutorials to get the hang of it, though.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Free doesn't mean good. If free open source versions of professional software was really as good as people seem to think it is, then wouldn't professionals be using it instead of spending a ton of money on the pro software?
  • edited April 2008
    Blender is not a good video editor. It's an animation tool at heart. And besides:
    Final Cut Pro is fucking sweet, and badass, and bitchin'.
    I love FCP to death. Although Adobe Premiere is alright.

Have you guy looked at Pinnacle Studio? It's basically the cheap version of AVID. I've used it, and it gets the job done. It's pretty much the best bang for your buck as far as video editing goes. And you won't have to get a new computer. Give it a try.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • And you won't have to get a new computer. Give it a try.
    Yes we will. The reason we need a new computer is simply that Scott's PC is old and terribly slow, the Mac is basically just a DVD player, and I don't feel like taking on the video portion along with the audio on my own PC.
  • edited April 2008

Have you guy looked atPinnacle Studio? It's basically the cheap version of AVID. I've used it, and it gets the job done. It's pretty much the best bang for your buck as far as video editing goes. And you won't have to get a new computer. Give it a try.
    Oh for fucks sake don't use Pinnacle Studio. After Studio 8 its been going down hill. Admittingly, I stopped using after Studio 10 but that was because 10 was so horrible. Sail, if its gotten better please let me know.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • While I applaud the new venture Scrym, don't completely replace Geeknights audio with a video podcast. I only listen to audio podcasts, simply because I can multi-task with them. If you turned video, I'd either have to watch the show (and it's much harder to keep someone entertained visually) or ignore the video aspect while it drains my iPod battery. When you first started toying with the idea of video, I just thought it would be an occasional special, not a regular thing on the show.

Overall, feel free to toy with video, but audio is you're bread and butter, and don't forget that.
  • I highly doubt the idea of replacing geeknights with video ever entered their mind, it would probably be something they use for their interviews or panels at cons and the occasional show done with both video and audio, separately down loadable.
  • Oh for fucks sake don't use Pinnacle Studio. After Studio 8 its been going down hill. Admittingly, I stopped using after Studio 10 but that was because 10 was so horrible. Sail, if its gotten better please let me know.
    Oh. Studio 8 was the last version I used. Heh. Nevermind.

K, go get teh FCP nao.