This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

EA says "fuck you" to Europe [Rock Band pricing]

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
Well, after only five months of waiting, EA finally announced a date and pricing structure for Rock Band in europe. The game will be available at the end of May. That's all fine and well if EA had not split up the bundle that is currently available into an instrument bundle and the game itself and the instruments alone will cost a whooping 169€. Together with the game it's estimated to tally up to about 240€.

If you use the current currency conversion, the american bundle can be valued at about 107€. Europeans are used to pay games at a 1$ = 1€ conversion but this is just a royal fuck you from EA.

Basically EA is shooting themselves in both feet, as this overpricing will prohibit the casual gamers who are interested in this game from buying this game and the splitting will make the Guitar Hero bundles more attractive. Oh, and the game will only be shipped for the XBox 360 on the mentioned date and the PS3 and Wii versions are to follow "later this summer".

I was really looking forward to this game, but this is just way too expensive and just a stupid move by EA motivated by greed and the result is pretty much alienation of the entire informed fanbase.

Comments

• Prediction: Guitar Hero remains more popular in Europe.
  • You can buy a Wii for that, hell you can even buy a 360 now. I will be going nowhere this game now, it was doubtful before and the price has made it clear that this game is only for those with more money than sense.
  • Haven't really seen the whole rock band / guitar hero hero take off over here in the UK, but I don't interact with anyone younger than myself, so I could be missing an entire demographic.
  • Haven't really seen the whole rock band / guitar hero hero take off over here in the UK, but I don't interact with anyone younger than myself, so I could be missing an entire demographic.
    Guitar hero is quite big in the UK. If you go in any gaming shop then most of them will be sold out of Guitar Hero 3, well not any more but for the first 3 months after it came out it was. In short EA are dicks but that doesn't come as a surprise.
  • edited April 2008
    Hooray for piracy.< /deadpan>
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Can't this topic just be renamed to "Gaming companies that say "FUCK YOU" to Europe"? I want to put Nintendo there with their June 25th release date for Brawl. *sighs*

Fucking bastards. Every day it becomes easier to communicate with anyone on the globe, why the hell don't companies follow that trend and release everywhere at once! I bet you'll make a lot more money that way.
  • Guitar hero is quite big in the UK. If you go in any gaming shop then most of them will be sold out of Guitar Hero 3, well not any more but for the first 3 months after it came out it was.
    Really? Go figure. I never go to gaming stores anyway =P
  • It still comes down to the problem that they can put all their resources into satisfying demand in one region then move onto the next. The delay makes them more money. Whereas, on something like Steam, simultaneous release requires little more effort.
    On a side note: Has anyone tried changing the audio track to German in TF2? It's in the audio options.
  • Damn that other thread;
    My instinct remains haiku
    Play-Asia for the win

• On a side note: Has anyone tried changing the audio track to German in TF2? It's in the audio options.
    Obviously. ^_~
  • edited April 2008
    Is it possible to save money by importing the American version for the instruments and just buying the game disc locally?

In related news I have hearing rumblings that the American Wii shortage will soon be over because demand in Europe has been going down. Some investment types have been saying that Nintendo has been making them more available in Europe because of the crappy dollar. why sell in America what you can sell in Europe for more money?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Gamers in Europe have grown pretty accustomed to constantly being raped in the butt. :|

It's generally cheaper, faster and just plain better for a European to import an American console AND games AND equipment for anything ever. The only advantage to getting everything late is that occasionally we get a slightly updated version and bug fixes because we've had a few million Americans play-test it for us first. That benefit is canceled out by how often the PAL conversion is buggy though. :|

Pisses me off that even when I am buying something like a Guild Wars account off the internet I have to pay extra, purely because I live in Australia. Seriously, it does not cost more for the playNC or official guild wars store to send me an account activation code via email because I live in Australia instead of America. It still costs me $20 extra. Obviously I'm going to get my stuff at some other store who will charge me American prices and Arenanet will just have to deal with getting less of the profits once that third party takes out their cut! Fucktards.

I love my DS games with their no region protection. <3 Oh, Play-asia, thank you for costing half of what games cost here and on the release date, no less!
  • All my friends here (in Europe) are still really into PC gaming. The reason being obvious.
  • Play.com hit back sort of.
    So if you are in the Uk and still want this game makesure you buy it from them. God bless companies based in the Channel Isles and their tax brakes.
    Still I won't be buying it, screw them.
  • Even with 1:1 conversion rates, the exchange rate still makes importing a lot cheaper.

So is there any reason why America would hate Europe? I mean we already pay premium prices and wait longer?
  • We have history and culture. ^_~
  • I think part of the price problem is that prices are set when the product is created and not altered after it hits the market. I know a lot of Canadians have stopped buying cars in Canada and have instead crossed the border to avoid the inflated price. For some reason Canadian auto dealers do not believe that the CAD dollar is worth more than the USD.
  • edited April 2008
    I think part of the price problem is that prices are set when the product is created and not altered after it hits the market. I know a lot of Canadians have stopped buying cars in Canada and have instead crossed the border to avoid the inflated price. For some reason Canadian auto dealers do not believe that the CAD dollar is worth more than the USD.
    Yes, this is correct. If the Canadian car dealer bought the car months ago before the dollar fell, they would lose big money if they sold it at a price reflecting the current value of the dollar. You'll have to wait for the dealers to buy new cars at lower prices. Either that or buy a car that isn't a US car.
    Post edited by Apreche on