This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

College Decision

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I'm trying to decide where to go to college. It's pretty much between Rensselaer and RIT. At first I was thinking "Fuck yea, RIT!", but now, as I look into more information (studentsreview.com and other things) it tempers my enthusiasm, and I don't really know what's reliable. The comments seem to range from "I just came thinking about this post." to "RIT raped me with a rusty pitchfork."

Essentially, I'm wondering if there is validity to any of the following comments.
"everyone was depressed"
"RIT is only concerned with your money"
shitty housing
wasteful spending
lame unless you're a huge gamer
rude deaf people

I don't know. I'm not so much into gaming as I am into computers in general. I don't want to fall into a haven of WoW and villainy. I figure you'll give it to me straight.

Comments

• "everyone was depressed"
    Only the people who couldn't take it.
    shitty housing
    It's great unless you couldn't take it.
    wasteful spending
    Most of the "wasteful spending" is from donors, not tuition.
    lame unless you're a huge gamer
    If you're not into at least anime, computer technology (in a big way), videogaming, boardgaming, or tabletop gaming, RIT definitely isn't for you.
    rude deaf people
    Not any moreso than rude people.

Seriously, the majority of the complaints about RIT are from people who either failed out or didn't "get it."
  • Cool. It's nice to hear some affirmation from a respected source.
  • RIT is great, but RIT is rough. It's a lot like a roller coaster. It's really fun and awesome, but people who can't handle it just get sick and bargle. The only difference is that at RIT a huge percentage of people bargle, and it's really expensive.
  • You'll reap what you sow. Yes, RIT may cause you to bargle and work your fucking ass off, but in the long run- it will be well worth it.
  • I'm a junior in HS, so I'm looking at colleges right now...All in all, RIT looks great, but it's way fucking expensive. So I now have 2 questions:
    1. how is RIT with giving out scholarships?
    2. Does anyone know how Ohio State's computer majors are?
  • edited April 2008
    If you are looking in Ohio, check out Youngstown State U, and Wright State U. Both are significantly less expensive, in comparison to RIT.
    Edit: And to my knowledge, they both have decent computer departments.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • edited April 2008
    RIT is in the middle of cornfields in Henrietta, in Rochester NY when the winters are long, dark, and cold. Get a bunch of nerds, put them in crummy apartments, snow them in, and watch them slowly go insane. However! To address the above points:

everyone was depressed - Like I said, it's tough to get through the winter and the quarter systems are stressful. However, if you have good friends, it can be wonderful.
    shitty housing - But it's quaint! And you'll look back on college and say, hey remember when we lived in that dumpy apartment in Colony? Man, those were the days.
    RIT is only concerned with your money - So are all colleges. That doesn't mean they don't do their job.
    wasteful spending - NYU showed off a lot too.
    lame unless you're a huge gamer - What can I say. It's a geeky school.
    rude deaf people - heh. Rym has some stories about that. Pick up the bowling ball?

RIT is a unique experience. It's not for everyone, but it can lead to some really good memories.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited April 2008
    I loved RIT it was the best fo... I mean Five years of my life ^_^

But I have to say freshmen year, my dorm was located on a all male mostly CS and IT majors and by half way through the year there was maybe 50% of them left.

If you like Geeknights, you'll like RIT.
    Post edited by Cremlian on