This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First graded game hits ebay

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
http://www.gamesniped.com/2008/04/09/first-vga-graded-games-hit-ebay/

Essentially, video games are now being graded on condition, much like how some comics and sports cards are.

I think it's pretty damn dumb. Sure, when I get a used game, I'd prefer for it to have the manuals and box with it (which is one good thing about Mad Gear, an anime con game vendor known for batshit high prices)....but with this, there's no point. If you leave it in box, you can't play the game. If you take it out, it loses the grade value.

Then again, at the end of the article, the author has some good points that I mostly agree with.

What do you guys think of this?

Comments

• This is bad, very bad.
  • I know it's a nostalga thing but this is software we're talking about. A busted up copy of a game runs as well as a mint one. That said, if anyone has a decent copy of the Win2k install disk I would pay well for it.
  • I know it's a nostalga thing but this is software we're talking about. A busted up copy of a game runs as well as a mint one. That said, if anyone has a decent copy of the Win2k install disk I would pay well for it.
    A slightly busted copy of a comic book reads the same as a mint one.
  • edited April 2008
    A slightly busted copy of a comic book reads the same as a mint one.
    Yes, your point being?
    Mint mint is a plus to me only because I can sell them onto fools who buy things like this but for me, legible is fine.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Mint mint is a plus to me only because I can sell them onto fools who buy things like this but for me, legible is fine.
    For the amount of time and effort it takes, you will make more money with a job. Buying and selling comics, cards, etc. in order to make profit is a fool's investment.
  • It's understandable for coins and cards to be sealed and evaluated in this way, because they're meant for looking and preserving, but games are meant for playing. The main problem I have is with this VGA thing, a company that just makes up this evaluation method and makes money on essentially nothing. All they're doing is adding a worthless layer onto the process of buying and selling games. The mint condition game you have is suddenly "more" mint and more valuable than before because some people just set down a table in the middle of nowhere, said "We are the standard," and then pointed at your game and said a high number? It's like they just picked a random spot in the collector mentality farm and started harvesting the cash.
  • you will make more money with a job
    True, but buying and selling rare shit can be a great side "project".
  • If it means the broken boxed copies of the games will sell for less I'm all for it!

The only grading I care about is complete vs. missing pieces. If a game is chit-based than unpunched means a lot to me.
  • Now that is quite the scam. He's hiding aff links in his ebay links. That is so not cool.