This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best Decade (Music Wise)

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
Which decade do you guys think is the best music wise? I love 80's music, but unfortunately for that decade I'm going to have to say that the 70's are the best for music. You had Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Queen, and Iron Maiden all in their prime. I would say that that makes for a great decade.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    60s music is the best because of The Beatles.

[Edit] Oh, and Wolfman Jack.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • There is no best decade. They all suck. Even the ones that were good now suck because radio stations only play the same 100 songs all day long. It does not matter if they are a new station or an oldies station, the play list never changes.

I used to like the Eagles, Led Zeppelin, etc... Now I turn the radio on and I only here about 2 or 3 songs from each band every single day. If a band released 5 albums why do I only ever hear 3 of their songs? Why does the "Classic Rock" station feel the need to run an hour of Zeppelin every night at 7PM?

Music is best when it is recent and relevant to the times. There are too many songs I rocked out to when I was younger that I would not be caught dead listening to now.
  • edited April 2008
    There are too many songs I rocked out to when I was younger that I would like to be caught listening to now.
    "la la la la Sesame Street la la".
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • The 80's gave us the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Guess which decade I like the most?
  • This decade has the best hipster garbage.
  • This decade has the best hipster garbage.
    And some damn good techno!

Really...I can't say I really like any decade more than another.
    60s and 70s- awesome classic rock
    80s- I like teh 80s metal and some of the dance songs.
    90s- actually, pretty damn shitty, outside of a few good rock bands.
    00s- a lot of shite, but some gems beneath it all.
  • 1815-1910

I win.
  • 1815-1910

I win.
    Too bad that isn't a decade.
  • edited April 2008
    Too bad that isn't a decade.
    A decade is way to small to define genres of music.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • You have to remember that as decades go by the bad stuff gets forgotten so keep that in mind.
  • edited April 2008
    Bullshit. The "00s" music is vastly different than 70s or 80s music. Hell, it's even vastly different than the 90s.

And even back then, you had transitions from classical to big band to jazz.

Then what if someone wanted to say 1915-2008? That's going with your logic that you shouldn't define music to a decade, but you'd have to be fucking retarded to argue that music that was popular in the 1920s was even close to what types of music are popular now.

tl;dr: fuck you, you're wrong.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • A decade is way to small to define genres of music.
    Bullshit. The "00s" music is vastly different than 70s or 80s music. Hell, it's even vastly different than the 90s.
    tl;dr: fuck you, you're wrong.
    I agree. While much of the mainstream music now is shit, we are seeing a much bigger growth of indie bands. More people are starting to listen to more obscure bands. We don't have the superstars like we used to. I also don't really think there is a best decade for music since they are all so different.
  • Good musicians make good music, regardless of the decade. For every Beatles or Bach, there were hundreds of mediocre bands playing the same genre.
  • edited April 2008
    You didn't even read what he wrote. Read it again. He isn't saying that music in different decades isn't different, he's saying that genres can't be identified within such a short amount of time such as ten years, you dumbshit. He's obviously talking about the Romantic period. And if you want to talk about Romantic music, you obviously can't only talk about the "1840s". Likewise, if you want to talk about rock music you can't only talk about the 1970s! This is his point, and I'm embarrassed for you at the sheer aggressiveness at which you chose to responded to it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2008
    Then what if someone wanted to say 1915-2008? That's going with your logic that you shouldn't define music to a decade, but you'd have to be fucking retarded to argue that music that was popular in the 1920s was even close to what types of music are popular now.
    Well, I'm not sure if my comment necesarily required such a brazen remark.

The idea that music today is any different than music of ten years ago is utter non-sense. The majority of all rock, metal, emo, and pop music today is based upon the rock and roll movement of the 1940's and 1950's which in turn was based blues and bebop of the early 20th century. The Twelve Bar Blues, arguably one of the most important musical progressions of the 20th century, is found in almost all genre's of music today. Using the tonic, subdominant, and dominant chord, you can pretty much recreate most of the pop music you have heard in memory. Also used is the Eight-Bar blues, the Sixteen Bar Blues, and the very imporant Thirty-Two bar blues. Don't forget the 50's Progression either which also has had a profound impact on modern music.

The musical structure of these genre's have not changed in the past several decades. If you look at song structure, the majority of the songs uses a simple structure form like Verse-Chorus form which has been popular since the 1950's. Maybe there will be a bridge in the song, often used as modulation. Repetition is also heavily relied upon in modern music and very often less complex.

What I'm trying to say is that fundamentally, popular music has not changed in the past 50 years. Sure, there may have been changes in tonality and sound color. But when it really boils down to it, pop music is the same as it was in the mid 20th century. It's based on a couple of blues progressions and it uses a structured form. If you really think that music today is something new or completely different, you are delusional. I can pretty much guarantee that everything has been done before. I doubt there is any new ground to be made with music. The idea that music today is radically different than the music of the beginning of the Rhythm and Blues of the early 20th century is absurd. While there may have been small changes in instrumentation or sound, when written down on paper, it's still basically the same.

So, what I'm trying to say is...

Don't fuck with me.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Regardless, Li_Akahi asked for best decade, not best music movement....so it really doesn't matter, as you never answered his question.
  • Oh please, grow the fuck up.

Internet, serious business.
  • 1685-1750.

(BACH)
  • 1685-1750.

(BACH)
    Yes, because Bach began making music the moment he exited the womb.
  • Yes, because Bach began making music the moment he exited the womb.
    Hey, they had to store the extra pipe organ somewhere.

Heh heh.. "Pipe Organ."
  • 1685-1750.

(BACH)
    Yes, because Bach began making music the moment he exited the womb.
    Didn't he?
  • The Cure from 1976 to 1986.