This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080410 - If we were Supervillains

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss our supervillainy. In the news, the 9th Circuit Court is at it again, and the FCC actually does something smart with SMS Emergency Alerts.

Scott's Thing - Shockwave's Burden
Rym's Thing - Those were the (Soviet) Days

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Ah! I love super villians with a purpose. Take Gurren Lagann's Spiral King as an example.

spoiler(He forced the humans underground and kill a lot because when the population reached a certain number the anti spirals would come to destroy earth. Of course the humans was the heroes and fought him and won and didn't know the why until) the shit got fucked up!

Plus "killing" God will make people worship the dead God similar to how we honor a death at a funeral. That plan would be fail dude.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • It was a LOVLAY DAAII!
  • I like the you shall be terminated part form Shockwave's Burden :P
  • edited April 2008
    Plus "killing" God will make people worship the dead God similar to how we honor a death at a funeral. That plan would be fail dude.
    They killed God in New Getter Robo and everything worked out... sorta.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It was a LOVLAY DAAII!
    Warm today....
  • Warm yesterday...
  • Instead of stopping religion, you want to make your own. Henchmen are a lot less likely to betray their god than their boss.
  • You broke the pattern.
  • edited April 2008
    Warm yesterday...
    Shut up, it was not warm today. You should be ashamed of yourself, you silly silly person.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Instead of stopping religion, you want to make your own. Henchmen are a lot less likely to betray their god than their boss.
    Yeah, it does prove successful. Look at scientology.
  • On that topic, Operation Reconnect is coming 12 April. I wonder how that will go.
  • Warm yesterday...
    Shut up, it was not warm today. You should be ashamed of yourself, you silly silly person.
    It was 70 degrees here. It was indeed warm.
  • I haven't listened to the show yet, so I probably shouldn't ask, but what's the problem with that Fair Housing ruling?
  • I haven't listened to the show yet, so I probably shouldn't ask, but what's the problem with that Fair Housing ruling?
    No problem really, other than my general feelings on the issue. That's just my favourite circuit court. ^_~
  • I liked last night's show, though there wasn't much detail to HOW to use super-powers to take over the world.

I'm curious to see Scott's reaction to Neil Gaiman's ETERNALS, I got it last year as a gift and was quite disappointed in Gaiman's use of Marvel-style cliches. Better than regular comics, art is great, but still just a super-hero book. The ETERNALS are Marvel's equivalent to DC's New Gods (Darkseid, Orion, Calaban, Granny Goodness, etc) just a race of super-beings with unbearably gaudy costumes. I kinda think CLAMP gets most of their ideas from Jack Kirby.

After checking out the ETERNALS, figure out how to use THOSE set of powers to conquer Earth.
  • I liked 1602, so I'm buying Eternals based on that.
  • I watched all the other Transformers videos by Dr. Smoov, the same guy who made Shockwave's Burden. I have to say that these two are the funniest.
    SOS Wheeljack

The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime
  • Rym's ToTD: Those pompadours are epic.
  • We have SMS alerts here at my university. What constitutes an 'emergency' is interesting - if the online assignment system used by freshmen has to go down, I get a message (and I am most certainly not a freshman anymore :P). If the chem guys blow up a fuel cell in the lab (actually happened) and they have to evacuate the complex, no message.
  • I don't own a cell phone, and rarely listen to offline TV or radio.

However, for people such as myself there are the two great alternatives, owning a barometer, and talking to a real live person to find out what's going on. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Hmm, I just found out that my town has been under a state of emergency, since Sunday... I just found out from one of my news sites.

I really hope they implement some type of SMS service in this country as well.
    Post edited by Page on