This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Patrick Stewart in Macbeth on Broadway.

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
This show opened this week at the Lyceum. It would be very cool to see Patrick Stewart do Shakespeare live. My wife and I are looking at making the trip to NYC to see this. Any interest here in making such a thing a group event?

Comments

• How cool is that, right? Rym's gonna try to get tickets to this from his work!
  • Those tickets are just a tad expensive, don't you think?
  • Rym's gonna try to get tickets to this from his work!
    I'm pretty sure I can, too ^_^

Patrick Stewart is one of the most awesome people ever to have existed. Even if I can't get discounted tickets, I'll probably just pay any go anyway.
  • Those tickets are just a tad expensive, don't you think?
    Not really. Great seats on Broadway for $100? Cheap.
  • A GeekNights Night at the Theater meet up would be really cool. Especially to see something like this.
  • edited April 2008
    Those tickets are just a tad expensive, don't you think?
    Not really. Great seats on Broadway for $100? Cheap.
    Well, I don't know . . . I would usually rather have something tangible for that amount of money. I could buy a DVD set of BBC Shakespeare tragedies for not much more than one ticket. That way I'd have it forever.

I'm just not impressed enough by live performances to pay more than fifty dollars or so for a ticket.
    A GeekNights Night at the Theater meet up would be really cool. Especially to see something like this.
    However, it would be different if we had enough people going. I would strongly consider it if enough people are going to go.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'm just not impressed enough by live performances to pay more than fifty dollars or so for ticket.
    No way, live performances are worth so much more than DVDs. If you were offering me tickets to the best seats to a hypothetical "best broadway show ever" I might pay $500+.
  • I'm with Scott here, though in my case it's closer to ~$200 due to me being a student.
  • I would consider paying $200 just to see Patrick Stewart walk on stage, say anything, and walk off again.

Watching Patrick Stewart do one of my favorite plays ever? Yeah, I'm all about that.
  • I'm just not impressed enough by live performances to pay more than fifty dollars or so for ticket.
    No way, live performances are worth so much more than DVDs. If you were offering me tickets to the best seats to a hypothetical "best broadway show ever" I might pay $500+.
    This comes from Scott who given the chance would have rather heard the audio or video of the "I have a dream" or any speech instead of actually being there.
  • This comes from Scott who given the chance would have rather heard the audio or video of the "I have a dream" or any speech instead of actually being there.
    There's a difference between a speech and a show.
  • This comes from Scott who given the chance would have rather heard the audio or video of the "I have a dream" or any speech instead of actually being there.
    There's a difference between a speech and a show.
    I'd rather see the speech.
  • I'm just not impressed enough by live performances to pay more than fifty dollars or so for a ticket.
    Live theater is an experience. You don't just pay to watch a play like watching a movie, it's being there, the atmosphere, the way the performers transform themselves when on stage. I love the theater. (But I always get the cheapo nosebleed seats, because I'm a skin flint and was a poor student) Plus, this is just Broadway. There are many other theatrical productions for much less.
  • edited April 2008
    Live theater is an experience. You don't just pay to watch a play like watching a movie, it's being there, the atmosphere, the way the performers transform themselves when on stage. I love the theater.
    Yeah, I understand that and I love it too. I just don't love enough to pay $100.00 or more per ticket. There are just so many other things I'd rather do with that $100.00.
  • , right?
    I am greatly amused by the proliferation of this speech pattern amongst Scott and Company.
  • In this thread, Scott's a hypocrite. Preferring to pay $100,- for a seat just to watch a guy, who's nothing but an entertainer (who is Patrick Stewart anyway?), preform in a play whereas he doesn't care about being present at the speech of Martin Luther King, to be part of that atmosphere, seeing the man in person, hear him speak about his passion, his dreams, every word he's saying becoming instant history!

Apparently that's worth less than seeing a bunch of people taking on the roles of nonexistenting characters, portraying feelings and emotions that have been portrayed a hundred times before, nor do they do anything noteworthy for the world. Merely give some enjoyment to that small group of people able to afford a seat.

I do agree that watching a play is great though. Just wanted to throw that out there.
  • I don't see how it's hypocritical. Being physically present when someone makes a historic speech is no different than watching it on TV. You see them, and you hear everything they have to say. There is no benefit to being there in person other than it might be harder to see and hear. There will also be screaming people everywhere. It won't be very comfortable. You might get the feeling you are somehow part of history, but you're just lying to yourself. Unless you're making the speech yourself, or unless you are an assassin, you aren't part of shit.

A live show, on the other hand, is significantly superior in person. If you've ever listened to an album, then gone to see a live concert of the same music, the difference is incredible. For a play, opera, ballet, etc. that difference is multiplied by a billion. When you watch or listen to these things, your goal is entertainment. Seeing them live, as opposed to recorded, they are infinitely more entertaining. Thus, it is worth more money for entertainment that is more entertaining.

And for the record, I didn't say I would pay $100 to see this particular play. I said I wold pay $500+ for a hypothetical "best play ever". I have to use Wikipedia to find out who Patrick Stewart is anyway.
  • Being physically present when someone makes a historic speech is no different than watching it on TV. You see them, and you hear everything they have to say. There is no benefit to being there in person other than it might be harder to see and hear.
    The same goes for a theatrical play. Sure, you can't get a DVD from a play afaik, but if you could, then it's just the exact same thing. You can see the actors preform the play on DVD, hear what they say and sing and control the volume, whereas sitting in the theater might mean you can hear or see shit. And I agree that if you're an idiot saying you're part of history when being at a historical speech merely means you are lying to yourself. But the same goes for the play, you merely sit and observe.

My apologies for that last mistake though. Read most of this topic last night.
  • The same goes for a theatrical play. Sure, you can't get a DVD from a play afaik, but if you could, then it's just the exact same thing. You can see the actors preform the play on DVD, hear what they say and sing and control the volume, whereas sitting in the theater might mean you can hear or see shit. And I agree that if you're an idiot saying you're part of history when being at a historical speech merely means you are lying to yourself. But the same goes for the play, you merely sit and observe.

My apologies for that last mistake though. Read most of this topic last night.
    You've obviously never been to a play. In person and DVD not not even close.
  • You've obviously never been to a play. In person and DVD not not even close.
    I have. It was a good play, the experience however was hardly worth the money, and that whilst I sat in the fourth or so row from the front.
  • I have to use Wikipedia to find out who Patrick Stewart is anyway.
    What?! That's a hit to your geek cred, Scott.

/shakes head sadly.
  • I have to use Wikipedia to find out who Patrick Stewart is anyway.
    What?! That's a hit to your geek cred, Scott.

/shakes head sadly.
    Hmmmm, *checks wiki, sees image* Picard. From Star Trek. I hate those shows, and suck with names.
  • edited April 2008
    You've obviously never been to a play. In person and DVD not not even close.
    You've obviously never been to a good political speech. I've been to loads of plays. I've been in plays (seriously - my first date with Carole was when she saw me in The Philadelphia Story. I was in a couple of plays in college. I did amateur stand up in college. I've also been a supernumerary in Rigoletto, Turandot, and Carmen), so I just don't want to spend $100.00 on tickets. Right now, I live literally across the street from Mariner's Arena. There have been many live acts that have played there that Carole and I have remarked that we wouldn't walk across the street to see. Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban were here last week. We could have walked across the street to see them. We had better things to do.

Now, if many people decided they would go on a certain date, that would be different. If we could get Thaed, kilarney, Viga, Andrew, and Jason to go at one time (for example - this applies to any combination of people on the board), there would be enough value added that I would strongly consider $100.00 per ticket.
  • It's looking like we're going on 5/17. This is tentative and I have yet to buy the tickets. We are really excited about doing this though. We're trying to bring 2 other couples from Cleveland.
  • You should ask Jason, he would love that shit.
  • We have a sitter lined up for May 17th. I think we're going to stay at the Waldorf. It looks like one other couple from Cleveland. We are going to finalize everything tomorrow.
  • Well it doesn't seem like there's much interest here on meeting up to see the show, but we are definitely going. I just bought the tickets for May 17th. We have 11th row seats in the center. I really can't wait.

• Watching Patrick Stewart do one of my favorite plays ever? Yeah, I'm all about that.
    Really? One of your favorites? Why the Scottish Play in particular?
  • edited April 2008

Watching Patrick Stewart do one of my favorite plays ever? Yeah, I'm all about that.
    Really? One of your favorites? Why the Scottish Play in particular?
    There's something about Macbeth that's always appealed to me. It just has a really dark, foreboding, bleak sort of feeling. Very stark. Omens and prophecies and all that jazz.

EDIT: I also like the theme of deflating man's hubris. Macbeth thinks, throughout the entire play, that he can escape his fate. In the end, the realization of his mortality is brought down upon him like a mountain. It's very much a "man is not special and cannot escape his nature" kind of theme, which has always appealed to me.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Only three days away...