This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you get your anime?

edited April 2008 in Anime
Well, yeah, how do you get your anime?

Torrents? If so, what site(s)?

DVDs? If so, where do you buy and/or rent them?

Streaming online? If so, what sites?

As for me...at the start of my fandom, I got my anime from either Adult Swim or youtube. I progressed into other streaming sites like anime eden and mangaspot anime streams.
Later on, I began to eschew streaming and just download stuff and watch a little on TV.
Lately I've been finding myself buying lots of DVDs (Amazon, righstuf, sometimes cons). I don't watch anime on TV anymore, either. I can't take the dubs...

Comments

• Local library of awesome.
  • edited April 2008
    I buy them at Best Buy, or at deepdiscount dvd. If they are hard to find, I get them at eBay, but I make sure they are not bootlegs.

If they are not here yet, such as Go Nagai or Golgo 13, I use torrents, and then I buy them when they get here.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • When I started watching anime there was no such thing as Bittorrent!!!
    When I started watching anime, there was no such thing as DVDs...
  • Eh, first watched it on TV (Pokemon, DBZ, that jazz), then downloaded fansubs through IRC, now I exclusively download by torrents and in the 'worst' case, IRC. It's what you get when you can't get anime from a store. Not up here at least.
  • Since far less anime comes out in the german speaking regions of europe than in the U.S., most anime I watch are fansubs, which is why I have Baka-Updates and Anime-Suki in my RSS reader. For downloading I usually use torrents, since IRC seems to not work right for me anymore (constantly getting disconnected from bots).
    However, if I find something good for an affordable price, I will buy the DVD.

That situation would be a lot different for me if more would come out to a good price. My manga habits are proof of that where I only fall back on scanlations for current chapters (where I buy the tankobon once it arrives here) or things I can't even find on amazon which offers american releases as well. I recently imported all of Eyeshield 21 from the U.S. and the first volume of Excel Saga, and just today I ordered the first volume of Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • When I started watching anime, there was no such thing as DVDs...
    Yeah, I watched Eva when it came out on VHS.
  • When I started watching anime, there was no such thing as DVDs...
    VHS fansubs bring back such nostalgia. I remember watching all of Kenshin on 4th generation VHS fansubs by Shinsengumi. I really enjoyed it because they had the commercials still on them. Some of those commercials I remember watching were awesome.

As for me getting anime, I purchase it either through Amazon, Right Stuf, Best Buy, or conventions, but that's only for series worth buying. I've only been buying older things like Slayers, Utena, Evangelion, and Miyazaki films. Other anime, I'll just rent off Netflix. I really don't torrent anime. For me it's too much effort, and I have too many other things to do.
    I know you got me by two years. :p
  • Since I watch most of my anime on my iPod I just download the shows from Crunchy Roll and then convert them. For all the anime which isn't on Crunchy Roll: Bittorrent FTW! ^_~
  • edited April 2008
    When I started watching anime there was no such thing as Bittorrent!!!
    That's not that big of a deal. DVDs are only around 12-13 years old, and they really only started to get really popular in 99 and 2000, as far as I remember...though yeah, it does top watching before bittorrent.
    I just download the shows from Crunchy Roll and then convert them
    Ugh...why? Why not just use bittorrent for everything?
    Fuck crunchyroll...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited April 2008
    I can understand using Crunchyroll for fast access to shows. I use it to watch shows that I kind of want to see, but not badly enough to waste download time or hard drive space on. I agree with Dkong otherwise, though. Downloading from Crunchyroll? Not the legal downloads, but the crappy stream files? Why bother when a BitTorrent download doesn't take significantly longer and has quality that's so much better?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Generally from Crunchyroll or Veoh TV sort of business, if not bittorrent.
    Seriously, we get bugger all Anime in Australia. All that's on tv is generally one piece, Dragonball Z, Naruto or Pokémon, and the DVDs of more popular shows are vastly overpriced - in the $30 for a 3 episode DVD style business.
  • Yeah, I'm a torrenter for sure. I have an internet plan that only gets shaped after 150GB download. Recently I've started getting a decent disposable income, so I intend to buy the DVDs for a couple of the shows that I know really deserve it. Generally I don't like DVDs anyway though. If there was a Steam-like system for pretty much all media, that would be orgasmic.
  • Legally. I purchase DVDs.
  • I can understand using Crunchyroll for fast access to shows. I use it to watch shows that I kind of want to see, but not badly enough to waste download time or hard drive space on. I agree with Dkong otherwise, though.Downloadingfrom Crunchyroll? Not the legal downloads, but the crappy stream files? Why bother when a BitTorrent download doesn't take significantly longer and has quality that's so much better?
    The problem with Bit-torrent is, that it seems much slower for me to download each episode and some of the shows I enjoy watching have barley any seeds. It takes me about 2 minutes to download a show from a site like crunchy roll. And the difference in quality of streaming videos vs. Bit-torrent is unnoticeable on an iPod screen.
  • Netflix, mostly. Sometimes I'll download a torrent if I just have to see it now or its not available through Netflix.
  • Netflix, mostly. Sometimes I'll download a torrent if I justhaveto see it now or its not available through Netflix.
    If we had a Netflix service in Australia (well, one that wasn't as much use as facing down the entire US Army, armed with nothing but a small child holding half a house-brick) I would sign up to that thing so fast my application catch fire from friction with the air, created by the sheer speed of its submission.
  • I'm in Australia also. Something like Netflix would be great, but I would much rather something similar to Steam.
  • I'm in Australia also. Something like Netflix would be great, but I would much rather something similar to Steam.
    There's no Steam in Australia? Also, if you guys are in Australia, you need to go to bed. It is late.
  • edited April 2008
    What? Its only 1:31 am, its early.

Edit - Yeah, we have Steam - But it is vastly slower than using it in the states, because Australian internet is something like 43rd in the world in terms of speed. The first time my girlfriend connected to the internet down here, after using it for an hour, she shut her laptop and said, verbatim - "I wouldn't pay ten Dobra for a connection like this."

For perspective - 50,000 Dobra is worth about $3.47 USD
    Post edited by Churba on
  • . I use it to watch shows that I kind of want to see, but not badly enough to waste download time or hard drive space on.
    Even so, sites like youtube and veoh even have better quality than crunchyroll.
  • Even so, sites like youtube and veoh even have better quality than crunchyroll.
    Uhhh...
    No. Not really. YouTube has shitty quality, especially for an action anime.
  • edited April 2008
    Even so, sites like youtube and veoh even have better quality than crunchyroll.
    Uhhh...
    No. Not really. YouTube has shitty quality, especially for an action anime.
    When I said "better quality", I didn't mean good quality.

If I may, here is a bad analogy:
    2 cents is better than 1 cent, but at the same time, it's essentially jack shit.
    Thus, youtube represents 2 cents and crunchyroll represents 1 cent.

Both are shitty, but one is a LITTLE bit better than the other.

See what I mean?
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Yeah, but honestly, CR does have higher quality videos than YouTube. Whatever else sucks about the site, the videos ARE higher quality.
  • Yeah, but honestly, CR does have higher quality videos than YouTube. Whatever else sucks about the site, the videos ARE higher quality.
    Something must've changed, then. Last time I saw a CR video the video quality was on par, if that, of youtube's and the audio quality was shit awful and really tinny.
  • Now that you don't have to even register to see the high quality streams, its better quality.
  • edited April 2008
    As far as I can tell with Crunchyroll, the video quality goes down the shitter when there's a scene with a ton of movement in it, especially when the colour pallet has a lot of dark colours. But otherwise, the quality is actually pretty good. Which works for anime, because 50% or more of your typical anime episode features very little movement (eg: talking head shots, repetitive walking shots, single frame "THIS PART IS IMPORTANT AND AWESOME! BUDGET? WHAT BUDGET?" shots).

Also, I find the selection on sites like Veoh and YouTube harder to browse. Crunchyroll's big index list of all the titles they have is very handy, and often leads to me clicking on random titles and experiencing things I wouldn't have watched otherwise, such as Pictures at an Exhibition, Heroic Age, and Nurse Angel Ririka SOS.
    Post edited by Eryn on
    There's no Steam in Australia? Also, if you guys are in Australia, you need to go to bed. It is late.
    Nono, I mean a Steam equivalent for stuff other than games (including anime).
  • Lets see first it was Cartoon Network, then DVDs, then anime club and oBTaining it. Now I just pretty much don't bother with any new anime since I haven't been in anime club. I am working on One Piece and making my girl watch DBZ.