This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Green Light For Ronald D. Moore's Virtuality

edited April 2008 in News
Ronald D. Moore, of (post-Kirk) Star Trek and (new, edgy) Battlestar Galactica fame, is developing a show for Fox called Virtuality, which...
From the Sci Fi Wire article...is set aboard the starship Phaeton on a 10-year journey to explore a distant solar system. To help the 12 crew members endure the long trip and keep their minds occupied, NASA has equipped the ship with advanced virtual-reality modules, allowing them to assume adventurous identities and go to any place they want. The plan works until a mysterious bug is found in the system...
For me, this is the kind of news I wait for with bated breath - another quality sci-fi show on TV!

Moore is very nearly in my pantheon of TV and movie producers whose projects I'd watch (or even pay to watch) without waiting for a review. And this project, despite having few details released as of now, has win written all over it. What do you guys think? Does your like or dislike of either Trek or Galactica colour your interest in this new show?

Comments

• Sounds like Avalon, which was terrible!
  • Sounds like Avalon, which was terrible!
    Apart from both having elements relating to virtual reality, there's really no similarity, AFAIK. You may as well say they're both similar to The Matrix. Or you could say that Das Boot and Down Periscope are similar films because they both involve submarines.
  • It sounds like every holodeck episode of TNG.
  • eveloping a show for Fox calledVirtuality
    It's on Fox and it's a Sci-Fi show, so it will get screwed over like Firefly did.
  • It's on Fox and it's a Sci-Fi show, so it will get screwed over likeFireflydid.
    I understand people are angry about that, but The X-Files got 202 episodes across 9 seasons on Fox. None of the major networks have done any more than Fox to produce good sci-fi in the past two decades.
  • None of the major networks have done any more than Fox to produce good sci-fi in the past two decades.
    Umm, Sci-Fi channel? I know it's not a major network, but still. Apart from their bullshit B-Grade movies (which suck), they have produced some pretty quality shows and mini-series such as BSG, Eureka, Frank Herbert's Dune, Taken, and they also popularized Startgate SG-1 to ridiculous heights.
  • Moore's work on the excellent Battlestar Galactica has earned any of his future production a free trial period of attention from me, even if the initial premise doesn't grab me.
  • It sounds like every holodeck episode of TNG.
    One mention of Moriarty, Mr. Moore. I dare you.
  • edited April 2008
    Sci-Fi is not a network, as you admitted, and the show originally debuted on NBC (SF's parent company). It didn't get good enough ratings to stay there, so NBC tanked it. My point stands: Science fiction has not in general thrived on the networks in the last 15-20 years, so villainizing FOX for having the same problems is hardly plausible on the grounds of Firefly alone.

Besides, isn't it time to give up the moaning about Firefly? I mean, it's been five years.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Besides, isn't it time to give up the moaning about Firefly? I mean, it's been five years.
    I'm not moaning. I'm just a bit bitter still. I honestly forgot about the X-Files. I was once a huge fan of it, but after David Duchovny left I stopped watching.

I've honestly given up on most network TV shows, unless I hear it's pretty decent from sources that I can trust. On top of that, I'll just wait for it to hit DVD so I can watch it all together instead of having to wait it out.

The more I think about it, I'm happy with the writers' strike. It made me stop caring as much about watching TV and opened up some time to do other things. Although I do miss Heroes, I'm not as excited about it as I once was.
  • edited April 2008
    Although I do miss Heroes, I'm not as excited about it as I once was.
    I think Heroes had an amazing first season, which ended in a way that could have finished the whole series just fine. I was excited for the second season at first, but then my desire to watch plummeted after the horrible first four episodes of it. Yeah, I heard it got much better after that point, but it wasn't worth it for me to keep watching it every week on TV after losing that much interest all at once. Maybe I'll rent the season 2 boxset once it comes out. Maybe.

As for Virtuality: I actually quite like episodes of TNG that involve the holodeck, and I like stories about virtual worlds in general. So maybe this would be worth checking out, but I'm still not incredibly jazzed for it. I've never really been a huge fan of TV sci-fi in general. Not that I dislike it, I just that I don't have much drive to seek it out.
    Post edited by Eryn on