This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Punch Uses RFID Technology to Track Attendees

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-15/anime-convention-uses-rfid-technology-to-track-attendees

I was at this con, so to me this is kinda cool news. Were any of you guys at the con?

Also, what do you guys think of this as a whole? Creepy? Pointless? Useful?

I think it has potential to be useful (but in the case of AP, the manual scanning didn't take any quicker than the gophers just glancing at your badge), and it's not that creepy, since they only scan you going into a room, not going out. So thus, if you go into the dealers room, then leave, then don't go anywhere else where you're scanned for the rest of the day, there's no way they could track you.
IMO, anyone who thinks it's creepy or "stalkerish" doesn't understand the technology. Or maybe one of you guys could prove me wrong....

Comments

• So long as I'm not broadcasting any personal information I'm fine with this sort of thing. Organizers would need to resist the urge to sacrifice security for "convenience," or make the chips voluntary. On the whole it seems pretty pointless, and there is some risk that corners will be cut. I would opt-out if given the choice.
  • I'm hoping this gets used by more and more cons, as I think it's a great idea which solves a number of classic convention problems.

or make the chips voluntary.
    Voluntary defeats almost all of the benefits, such as easy "badge" scanning. If even one person won't have the RFID, you'll need goons to sit and watch everyone enter/exit.

On the whole it seems pretty pointless
    Understanding traffic flow, event/panel attendance, and all of that other data would make conventions seriously better in a hurry, and the reduced menial staff requirements would free up hands for more interesting work. I can think of a dozen ways to use this for the betterment of a con off-hand.
    there is some risk that corners will be cut.
    I'm curious what exactly you mean by that. What corners?
  • THis is perfectly fine with me as long as there's not personally identifiable information, like my name or something. Just a badge number.
  • edited April 2008
    I can think of a few positive uses for this that have yet to be mentioned:

1. Enforcement for adult only rooms, the only reasonable use for personal ID with age information (if only above 18/below 18).
    2. Enforcement for single day only badges vs. 2-3 day badges.

However, it seems like even with a reader in use, you would still have to have a staff or security person nearby to troubleshoot or enforce when someone does not qualify. I also wonder at the cost both of the RFID chips and the readers, and how much of an effect it could have on convention costs on the general con-goer.
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • To all you people scared about personal information- don't forget that at 9/10 (if not all) conventions, you need to fill out a personal information sheet before you get your badge....so it's not like they don't have your information.
  • Posted By: RymI'm hoping this gets used by more and more cons, as I think it's a great idea which solves a number of classic convention problems.
    On the whole it seems pretty pointless
    Understanding traffic flow, event/panel attendance, and all of that other data would make conventions seriously better in a hurry, and the reduced menial staff requirements would free up hands for more interesting work. I can think of a dozen ways to use this for the betterment of a con off-hand.I'm not very familiar with these systems, but can they collect information detailed enough to model foot-traffic flow? If so, how genuinely useful is that information? I would think some manner of computer-aided mathematical models would be required to make that data mean anything. Is an RFID monitor cheaper than hiring somebody with a clicker?
    there is some risk that corners will be cut.
    I'm curious what exactly you mean by that. What corners?
    I was thinking primarily in terms of better security practices. It's exceedingly paranoid of me, but I don't like the margin for error when using a technology like RFID, which is inherently promiscuous, solely machine-readable, and tied to me personally. This system definitely has it's merits, but in practical terms I'm not confident that the cost of establishing and maintaining is justified by the potential benefits.
  • I was thinking primarily in terms of better security practices. It's exceedingly paranoid of me, but I don't like the margin for error when using a technology like RFID, which is inherently promiscuous, solely machine-readable, and tied to me personally.
    The thing is, RFIDs are already in some of the products you buy, and they will soon be in every product you buy. There is no possible way of escaping them short of microwaving everything you ever purchase for the rest of your life. The long-term benefits are well worth the concerns and issues. Imagine, for example, a house that can tell you not only everything that's in it, but which can be grepped for your wallet. "It's in the downstairs closet, Dave. Why do you always leave it in the downstairs closet?"

The system used in this case was inefficient for a large crowd. But, there are better systems, and the technology gets more practical every day. It's only a matter of time.
  • The thing is, RFIDs arealreadyin some of the products you buy, and they will soon be ineveryproduct you buy.
    The thing is, as far as I know, they don't rewrite those RFIDs with your personal information after you buy the merchandise.
  • The thing is, RFIDs arealreadyin some of the products you buy, and they will soon be ineveryproduct you buy.
    The thing is, as far as I know, they don't rewrite those RFIDs with your personal information after you buy the merchandise.
    They don't need to. When you checkout and use your credit card they get your personal information into the database. Then they put the RFID in the database right in there matched up with your name.

To really understand the privacy concerns of RFID, you must first understand the privacy concerns of databases.
  • I am happy to see RFIDs used in this way. I think this is a great technology. I have one in my ID for work so I can open the doors after hours. I have one on my key chain for the gas station that allows me to fill up my car without having to get out my wallet. My favorite use so far is microchipping pets. I currently have 6 dogs who are all chipped. It is the best form of ID for an animal since they can't tell anyone who they are. The shelter scans lost animals when they get turned in. The chip only stores a number and the name of the micro chip company you are registered with. The shelter then contacts the microchip company to get your contact information. No personal information is on the chip. As Scott said, all the personal information is in the database. I think we are only beginning to see the possibilities that these chips can offer. I expect to see them used in more creative ways once their use becomes more widespread.
  • I agree that RFID technology has a great technology to do good, if properly implemented. However, the nature of the technology, which I touched on earlier, make it almost inherently insecure. Greater attention should be payed to RFID technology as well as the better security practices that go with it. If it is poorly implemented, it would be worse than having your personal information written on the back of your shirt.
    They don't need to. When you checkout and use your credit card they get your personal information into the database. Then they put the RFID in the database right in there matched up with your name.

To really understand the privacy concerns of RFID, you must first understand the privacy concerns of databases.
    I assume you mean selling database access to third parties/surrendering database access to the government. I suppose it could be used to track movement, but you'd need quite a large network of rfid readers. I'm not so sure I understand the main privacy concerns. I was thinking more small time information stealing through surreptitious RFID scanning.
  • I agree that RFID technology has a great technology to do good, if properly implemented. However, the nature of the technology, which I touched on earlier, make it almost inherently insecure. Greater attention should be payed to RFID technology as well as the better security practices that go with it. If it is poorly implemented, it would be worse than having your personal information written on the back of your shirt.
    I am a bit confused here. The chips do not store personal information, just an ID number. They are powered by the reader, so they can not broadcast anything independently. The systems have a limited range so you must be close to the reader to use them. If someone wanted to copy the information on your chip, they would have to get very close to the reader as it was reading your chip. We are talking no more than a few feet. So what is it about the technology that you find insecure?
  • I use RFID for the bus - we have a system called Go card, you swipe on the bus, and then swipe off at the end, and it charges you accordingly - except I swiped the code out of my card, and flashed it to a chip that I subsequently taped inside the battery cover of my mobile phone. Confuses the hell out of people when I swipe my phone across the reader and it lights up just fine.
  • except I swiped the code out of my card, and flashed it to a chip that I subsequently taped inside the battery cover of my mobile phone. Confuses the hell out of people when I swipe my phone across the reader and it lights up just fine.
    That is a super excellent idea. I should totally do that.
  • I use RFID for the bus - we have a system called Go card, you swipe on the bus, and then swipe off at the end, and it charges you accordingly.
    Ah man, they have been trying to get that system in order for 5+ years here. and some student is making copies of testcards...