This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Colony 5 - transhumanist band

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
colony 5 Heres some awesome transhumanist music, I thought it would be in keeping with the 'if we were supervillains' show.

Comments

• Is the music transhumanist somehow? It just sounds kinda industrial/darkwave-y to me. Plus, I think if they were REALLY transhumanist, you could listen to the whole songs for free. :)
  • I don't get it, so I'll stick to my pretentious indie music.

• I too wonder what makes them transhumanist. I listened to some of the samples and I was not enlightened or compelled to eat anything out of the ordinary.
  • edited April 2008
    More of a ghost in the shell type of trans-human than a Hannibal or Rorschach type of trans humanist. For instance the song "plastic world" is about how we should deal with some major social issues before the arrival of some exciting new technology. This is summed up by the line "first step is morality, next step immortality". Many of the things they sing about are directly related to the world trans humanism association's declaration and fall quite neatly into that definition of trans humanism and the quest for post humanism through technology. The album 'fixed' is about fixing the human body, and the title 'buried again' of their third album is a reference to resurrecting a person after they die.

and yes I too wish their music was free. You can't really tell what they are talking about from the samples.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • edited April 2008
    Wait, now transhuman is a genre? Fuck.

And, yeah, I'll stick with hipster garbage too.
    Post edited by whatever on
    What the fuck was that? The music sounded decent, if it also lacked visuals. Then they opened their mouths!
    colony 5
    That actually sounds decent. More so than Sail's indie rock pick.
  • I'm afraid I only listen to hardcore death-transhumanist noise bands. All other music is inferior and contemptible.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but... man, what a load of wank. Music's not bad though.
    Post edited by Paulathon on
  • edited April 2008
    Then they opened their mouths!
    Philadelphia accent. But yes, his voice is extremely snotty. The Dead Milkmen are also a highly satirical band, so it is a little tongue and cheek to begin with.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2008
    The Dead Milkmen are mediocre.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9159132095076000701

I prefer my pretentious indie music discordant and difficult to listen to.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited April 2008
    The Dead Milkmen are mediocre.
    Some of their stuff is fucking hilarious, you gotta admit. Methodist Coloring Book, for example.

I'd never seen an Animal Collective video before. They're strange.

But I've been totally digging the punk rock lately. Better indie punk than Dead Milkmen are The Descendants, with the punchiest punk rock bass lines I've ever heard. Plus, they're from here.

Coincidentally, both bass players play Stingrays. Man, someday, someday...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I suggest No Means No to everyone. Go right now!
  • Les Savy Fav is a super hip and happenin' punk band.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7183715132939885857
  • Eww. Not so fond.
  • edited April 2008
    Ghostland Observatory?
    Ooo, interesting.
    And how about some indie hip hop?
    Not that into either.

Your thoughts on Deltron 3030/Del Tha Funkee Homosapien?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited April 2008
    Del is great. How about Black Star?
    They're great.

I'm gonna have to break the hip-hop chain soon because the only other hippity hop/rap I listen to besides Gorillaz is Greydon Square.

Yeah for skeptical rap!

We are Bear Police and Sail, and we have taken possession of this thread.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Then they opened their mouths!
    Philadelphia accent. But yes, his voice is extremely snotty. The Dead Milkmen are also a highly satirical band, so it is a little tongue and cheek to begin with.
    It's not their accent. It's their voices.

Also, Sail vs. Bear Police, Youtube vids vs. Google vids. Fun.
  • Sail vs. Bear Police
    This is what this music does to you.
    Youtube vids vs. Google vids.
    If you click "go to Google Video" on his videos, you'll find that most of them are actually YouTubes in a Googvids wrapper.
  • edited April 2008
    Lol, you guys listed a bunch of the more popular music I listen to. I gotta say, I'm not much for hip hop, but Del is awesome. I'm actually glad we have a bunch of people with wide musical tastes, it's refreshing compared to most of the people I know. Honestly though, I kind of found colony 5 offhandedly and decided to throw it up for you to tear apart for my personal enjoyment.
    Post edited by Sova on
    Oh god Dead Milkmen. One of the better bands I've listened too recently.