This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help convince Rym to buy a Macintosh

edited June 2006 in Everything Else

Ok everyone. You may not realize this from listening to the show, but Rym is super wishy-washy when it comes to spending money on anything that isn't female, food or vacation. He's actually wishy-washy on lots of things, but we'll save that for another time.

This weekend he was talking all about how he was going to buy an iPod now that he has a new job. Last night, I swear he changed his mind 5 times in 10 minutes. He went from being gung-ho about an iPod, to being a Linux hater switching to Windows, to being a hardcore Linux guy who would get an $18 mp3 player instead of an iPod. He either can't make up his mind, or he's a schizo with many minds fighting for dominance.

After thinking about it last night I realized that what Rym really needs is a Mac. In fact, it's the cheapest way to satisfy all of Rym's needs. The problem is that I can't convince him to buy one by myself. I need everyone's help to convince Rym to buy a Mac. Remember, you want him to get one because it will make the podcast so much more awesome.

Now I will list the reasons why Rym needs a Mac.
  1. He likes things to be small and quiet. It's tough to beat Macs in those departments without spending extra time and money.
  2. With bootcamp on an Intel Mac he can play Steam and other Windows games, still have Linux and not have to deal with wine or other BS.
  3. Mac is based on UNIX, so he can still do any Linux stuff he likes.
  4. All the programs he uses, like Firefox, Skype, Aim, Jabber, etc. all exist on Mac.
  5. Rym knows about Garage band, but I don't think he realizes just how awesome it is, or what it can do. Not only will it make the podcast more awesome, but it also does all sorts of other musical composition things that Rym enjoys.
  6. Because of all the software a Mac comes with, like Garage Band, there will be no need to use open source software with painful interfaces or pirate expensive proprietary software.
  7. His girlfriend and other lady friends all want him to get a Mac.
  8. If he decorates his mac appropriately, it will be a catalyst for flirting. Let's see a cheap PC do that.
  9. Macs already have way awesome sound cards and sound playing programs. No need to spend extra money for external cards, pay for software or fiddle with alsa.
  10. He won't have to worry about iTunes/iPod anymore.
  11. He likes the spinning cube desktop switching and other eye candies. On a Mac they are plentiful, perfect and easy.
  12. Macs are small and portable, easy for podcasting at conventions.
  13. A white Mac would match his desk.
  14. He can still use the same keyboard, monitor, mouse and speakers he has now, since he is so fond of them.
  15. If he gets a Macbook or iMac, it has an LCD monitor, which he denies he needs.
  16. New macs have remote controls, so he can control music from his bed or across the room.
  17. I'm all for saving money building a cheap PC, but the $600 mini is way more powerful than a $600 PC. Also, it comes with all that Apple software.
  18. At conventions a Mac works much like a DS in that it can find other Macs automatically.
  19. Sure, we still need two computers to do the Skype thing, but a POS computer can run Skype. We even have people trying to send us free computers to do Skype. The Mac is really the only missing link.
  20. With iTunes he can easily share music with all of our Mac-using friends.
  21. If he forgets a power cable, our friends with Macs can hook him up.
  22. If a friend forgets a power cable he can hook them up instead of forcing them to use the GIMP.
  23. A Mac will probably last longer than his current computer, if he takes care of it. I know a guy still using the G4 powerbook.
  24. No need to pay for shipping or even a train ticket. We can take a trip to Stew Leonard's and stop at the Apple Store in Danbury. I know Rym likes killing as many birds with as few stones as possible.
  25. What it really comes down to is that everything Rym uses a computer for can be done on Mac better than, or as well as, it can be done on Linux or Windows.

It might look like this is an open and shut case to you guys, but not for Rym. He pretty much refuses to make any decision based on what other people suggest, and goes only with his fancy of the moment. When it comes time to actually paying money, he'll turn around at the last second. For the sake of the podcast we need a full effort to get Rym to buy the Mac he denies he needs.

Comments

• Damn.

I should buy a Mac.
  • Scott, that's a fairly complete list, I can't think of much else that might be an inducement, and I'm a mac guy. I think that list is a good one for the major reasons that Rym switching to a Mac would be a good idea.

The mac has a great deal to offer a power user, without a whole lot of extra effort to unlock. In spite of how good you organize you files, Spotlight is a great tool for finding files that you have or trying to find that conversation you had on Jabber a few months ago where you friend gave you their address. Quicksilver is the same kind of program, but it's better for grabbing programs or weblinks.

I've heard good things about Apple's applecare service program, and they been very useful when I had to use it to get my iPod serviced.
  • You also forgot about expose. Unless linux has something already like that already. I'll get a mac mainly for that.
  • I'm content with my curent PC until it finally dies. ^_~

I tend to use things until something forces me to upgrade. I'll drive my car into the dirt and wear running shoes until they have no soles.
  • I have only this to say about Rym's current computer.

Homer: It's just a little dirty. It's still good, it's still good!
    [Passes traffic, jumps a bridge and lands in the water.]
    It's just a little slimy, it's still good, it's still good!
    [It gets caught in a dam spillway, and when the pressure builds,
    it shoots into the sky.]
    It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good!
    Bart: [Crestfallen.] It's gone.
    Homer: I know.
  • I think if you are a true computer geek, you need to have one just to expose yourself to it. I have an iMac, but it's not my primary machine. I will say this: Garage band is awesome. I wrote all my own music for Friday Night Party Line with it (http://thaed.libsyn.com/). Listen to Episode 11 to hear the bumpers or just listen to the promo hear the theme. It's the favorite computer of my wife and kids and it's great keeping vast collections of photos.

Macs are expensive and, for the iMac at least, it's hard to do your own computer work. However, they are pretty to look at and useful for certain things. So I'm with Scott: Rym should get a Mac in addition to his pc.
  • Ha ha! #22 alone might be enough. (Listen to tonight's show to hear that tale of woe and misery.) ^_~
  • I just bought a MacBook Pro. The cheapest one (2.0 Ghz). Its performance is adequate. I haven't installed BootCamp yet, because I had to download a WinXP SP2 disc (my legal, legitimate SP0 disk is not valid with BootCamp). The world of Mac applications is a bit smaller than Windows, but there are still plenty of apps out there for whatever you do.

Yes, GarageBand is cool, it probably has virtually the same functionality as Cubase or Cakewalk ($500 products) with a better interface. I've barely touched it. (I *just* got the macbook).

I'm still a little wishy-washy about the purchase, since it was pretty expensive, but I couldn't trump the MacBook for the price. I looked at comparable Dell and Sager laptops (Sager noted for their high performance and ultralow price), and I could not truly beat the MacBook when I factored in overall system reliability, sleekness, the dual boot factor, and general niftiness.

so get one already. I need more people to find cool apps for me.
  • By the way, CRT's blow. This is coming from someone who denied it for a long time ago.

A few years ago, LCD's were overpriced and overhyped. This is no longer the case.

Here is a list of things LCD's are better at:
    - Screen size (ever seen a 30" CRT monitor with a VGA input?)
    - Clarity and sharpness (no contest)
    - Flicker (they just don't flicker. at all.)
    - Portability (even if you don't think it matters, it does)
    - Compactness (much easier to do dual monitors)
    - Auto-configuration (even over VGA, you'll never have to fuck with screen geometry and color balance in any resolution)

Here's a list of things CRT's are better at:
    - Response time (a CRT can change any pixel once per cycle. Though an LCD updates at 60 or 75 Hz, it doesn't really. This affects only games. You can buy a gaming LCD that works fine even for fast-paced games like MegaTF, but expect to pay more)

Here's a list of things LCD's used to suck at but don't anymore:
    - Ghosting
    - Running at non-native resolution (native is still best, but the difference isn't night and day anymore)
    - Price (supply flooding has lowered this dramatically)

I recently upgraded from an $800 21" Sony Trinitron CRT to a $600 (technically $1000 MSRP) Dell 24" widescreen. The Dell isn't the sharpest or fastest of all LCD's, but the overall effect is better. I noticed a slight slowness of response in games relative to the CRT, but once I stopped looking for it, I didn't care anymore. It plays fine, even in shooters.

Warning: very few games support widescreen! Even Quake 4 doesn't, not really. Widescreen is for videos and general niftiness; 4:3 is for everything else.

So, yeah, get an LCD.
  • This is a good a time as any to start a tangent. What is up with people nay-saying newer, better technologies? Even super computer geeks will poo-poo the latest and greatest for seemingly no reason.

In some cases there is good reason to look down upon newer technology. I think that blu-ray and HD-DVD are a good example of that. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about people who insisted that linux kernel 2.4 was the way to go even after 2.6 had been out for months. I'm talking about people who insisted on ball mice after optical mice were common. I'm talking about photographers who insist on film when digital SLRs exist.

I've been guilty of it in the past, but I honestly can't tell you wtf I was thinking. Why are geeks sometimes skeptical of technologies which are newer and obviously better?
  • I had a quick look (Really quick, since its 3AM and I am in exam time... Yay insomnia) and the price difference between a PC and a Mac was actually very small. I could even justify the difference in that the PC is PC sized, and the mac is the size of an LCD screen...
  • Ken, what kind of cool apps are you looking for? So far I'm the only dedicated Mac user who's posted here so far, so I'll field any of those questions for people looking for a type of software.

And for the nay-saying, I think it's probably the basic fear of change or the idea that belief that any change is a bad thing.
  • I'm content with my curent PC until it finally dies. ^_~
    Hmm... Scott, if you really want Rym to get a Mac, I think you know what to do ;). Oh, and Rym, isn't your graphics card pretty much dead? It sounds like new computer time to me.
  • The only apps macs don't have are games, and bootcamp solves that, plus with package managers like fink or darwinports, you can have tons of opensource apps as well.
  • Apreche: That's a complex issue, really. You can find that same mentality in people everywhere; it's a resistance to change. People get comfortable with doing things in a particular way, and often see changes as threats to their very way of life. With geeks in particular, it can be an ego thing too. A lot of geeks think that the way they do it is the best way, because of course they always do things the best way - circular logic. Additionally, geeks tend to get way into their geekeries, so much so that they eventually define the geek as a person (reference previous conversations), so that their ways of doing things are sort of intrinsic to them as peoeple. It's also a control thing; you understand the way you do things inside and out, and having to do things a different way means relinquishing some part of your control.

Let us also not forget the homage to the old school. I mean, the Transformers was, objecitvely speaking, a pile of shit. Hell, I have to say, some of my favorite NES games are, in fact, piles of shit. But they're from back in the day, when you had a handle on everything.

Aside from that, some people just like to be naysayers.
  • I think, if you listen to some past episodes, Rym wants a MacBook, it's just persuading him to actually buy one that's the problem.
  • Regarding #24, computer purchases on the apple store generally have free shipping.

Apple has pretty nice hardware, and with the bundled software I believe it has about the best value per dollar for a computer. The only hardware I would avoid is that first release of x86 hardware, they did have some issues. I don't remember if the current Mac Mini's are first gen or not.

I bought my powerbook a year and a half ago and have not regretted the choice. I ended up liking OSX enough that I don't really use the Linux partition I made. I am considering buying a mac mini as well, possibly as a living room PC to plug into my projector. ^_^
  • Buy the damn Mac!
  • The current intel Mac minis are the first of their kind with Intel processors. Point of fact all the MacIntels are first gen (though some have gone through minor revisions as production ramps up).

Just something to consider if you're worried about that sort of thing. I'm not that sort of person and am planning on spending my summer dough on a new MacBook. (whatever I don't blow on Otacon, that is)
  • Get a MacBook Pro with a 15in screen. It'll play Steam games just fine. The gaming performance on those laptops aren't bad from what I've seen and heard. Google "HL2 on MacBook Pro" and you'll find out.
  • Rym. Get a mac.

I won't make fun of you for jumping on the bandwagon late. Much.
  • So Rym, which way did you waffle after the show?
  • Actually..

I tried to order one last night. The only thing stopping me was shipping: Apple will NOT ship a computer without signature verification, and their shipper will only deliver between 8 and 4 Monday through Friday...

I'll see if I can have packages shipped to my office or some up with some other arrangement.
  • That's an annoyance, but I hope your office should take the package.

And do you really want your computer sitting on the porch until you get home?

What kind of mac are you getting?
  • I've had plenty of boxes sit on our front porch all day, never had a problem.
  • If you know where the UPS/Fedex distribution point is you can always have them hold it there after the delivery attempt, they will let you come in and pick it up with a photo ID. It is usually as easy as calling and giving them the tracking number. Sometimes you can pick it up same day, sometimes the next day depends on when the truck driver brings it back.

I have had to do that a couple times when shippers messed up the destination address :/
  • PWN3D!

Alright everybody. Now we need to convince Rym why he needs to buy Scott a Ferrari.
  • NooooO!!!!!! Rym falls to the dark side..........

Oh wait.. he was already there...

hey is that a rudicon Staff shirt your wearing ^_^
  • edited June 2006
    Very cool, I want to know how those little things perform.
    Post edited by Pilitus on
  • Yay for Rym!

Damn I want one of those MacBook Pros. I'm one of those guys that wanders into an Apple Store and drools but lacks the money to actually buy anything. I really shouldn't do that to myself. So anyway, which one did you get? The Core Duo?

One more thing. These ads crack me up.