This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scrym's commute

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
I don't understand something. It's a recurring theme on Geeknights that Scrym has plenty of money, but very little time. We then hear about 5:02am train rides and long daily commutes. The 5:02 train is 78 minutes! And that just gets you to Grand Central.

If this is the case, then why don't you live closer to (or in) the city? Sure, rent will be more expensive. But so what? Do you value money more than your time?

My commute is exactly 4 minutes. If I'm unlucky it's 5. Obviously that's not going to happen to everyone, but I have 2-3 hours more per day to do what I want to do. I would never give that away - and I don't even do a daily podcast.

If space is the issue, just pony up the extra cash for an equally large place that's closer to the city. I've heard the excuse that you want to be centrally located to the FRC. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that spending many hours per week to save a couple of hours on the occasional weekend is not a great bargain.

So why the inconsistency?

Comments

• We then hear about 5:02am train rides and long daily commutes. The 5:02 train is 78 minutes! And that just gets you to Grand Central.
    Well, I take the 5:32, and I work AT Grand Central. ^_~
    If this is the case, then why don't you live closer to (or in) the city? Sure, rent will be more expensive. But so what? Do you value money more than your time?
    We truly can't even come close to affording to live close enough to the city for it to matter and still maintain the lifestyle we desire. Rent on a place similarly sized to our own near here is more per week than we pay in a month.
    If space is the issue, just pony up the extra cash for an equally large place that's closer to the city. I've heard the excuse that you want to be centrally located to the FRC.
    To have what we have reasonably closer to the city, or even something comparable, would cost well over a million dollars easily. We're well-off, but not -that- well-off.

Also, the time on the train is no different than my time at home. I have a computer, books, DVDs, fansubs, comics, manga, etc... None of that time is wasted, as I do with it things I would have been doing at home anyway. My only real "commute" is the time it takes to drive from our house to the train station, which is about six minutes from door to train.
  • Eh, long commutes aren't really a waste of time. At least, not if you go by public transport, which is the case for Rym and Scott. On the train you can do numerous things, read a book, watch some anime, sleep some more, start some work, etc.
  • I have an unluckily short/long commute. first a 5 minute walk then a 7 minute train ride. Followed by a 10 minute wait and another 30 train ride. and then a bus ride plus walk of about 5 minutes.That's a total of an hour wasted.
  • I took the "Scrym Commute" yesterday with my family. It's not a bad commute but we had to go to Brewster (one stop south of the Scrym station) because we left later in the day and the commuter lot was full.

The train ride may be long but if you are prepared it is time you can spend well. Unlike driving to work you can get a lot done on the train.
  • edited April 2008
    I took the "Scrym Commute" yesterday with my family. It's not a bad commute but we had to go to Brewster (one stop south of the Scrym station) because we left later in the day and the commuter lot was full.
    That's not one stop South of us. That's on an entirely different line. They're both Metro North Rairload, but Brewster is on the Harlem line. We take the Hudson line.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Eh, long commutes aren't really a waste of time. At least, not if you go by public transport, which is the case for Rym and Scott. On the train you can do numerous things, read a book, watch some anime, sleep some more, start some work, etc.
    That is how it is! I am actually really productive on the train. I study Japanese, watch movies, read books, draw, work, etc. It doesn't really bother me. If I had to drive, I would be done for though. I would not mind living in the city again, but Beacon is a good compromise. Besides, most of my coworkers live in Brooklyn, pay high rent, and have to ride the subway for 35 minutes. (Half the time of our commute but without the cushy seats) The air is better in Beacon, there are rabbits and deer, and I can afford to have a big apartment all to myself.
  • I took the "Scrym Commute" yesterday with my family. It's not a bad commute but we had to go to Brewster (one stop south of the Scrym station) because we left later in the day and the commuter lot was full.
    I used to take that line when I lived in Poughquag: I'd get off in Pawling.

It's beautiful up there in the mountains. ^_^
  • I thought you guys got on at SouthEast? Oh well, I was mistaken.
    Obviously we get on at Beacon.
    SouthEast is my station. How is parking at Brewster? I really hate the walk from the parking lot to the station (.5 miles), specially in the winter. Doesn't seem like much but it takes me almost as long to get to the train station as it does to walk and pay to park there.
    SouthEast is my station. How is parking at Brewster? I really hate the walk from the parking lot to the station (.5 miles), specially in the winter. Doesn't seem like much but it takes me almost as long to get to the train station as it does to walk and pay to park there.
    Parking in Brewster sucks.
  • Parking in Brewster sucks.
    That's one annoying thing. The closed a train station is to the city, the worse the parking is, to the point that if I moved closed, I'd likely be forced to take a bus, which in turn would make my commute longer, thus defeating the whole point of moving further south...
  • I'm closer to the Harlem/Wingdale station but not all trains go that far North from GCT. Most end at SouthEast.